Why is a Strike Quite Possible?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You realize that when the inflation rate goes back down to a lower rate, the currency is still inflated. It’s not losing value, it’s inflating at a lower rate at that point.

The only way to “come out ahead” would be if there was a negative rate of inflation, like there was during the Great Depression. An event like this would be very painful for the economy in the short term before it got better.
This is why as wages rise you need even bigger raises than you previously got to keep up with inflation.

Trucker Clock

You realize that when the inflation rate goes back down to a lower rate, the currency is still inflated. It’s not losing value, it’s inflating at a lower rate at that point.

Yes, the currency is still inflated. But not at 8%. Most experts target a 2% inflation rate. As inflation goes up, like it is now, the price of goods and services go up, making the currency devalued.

When the inflation goes down, the price of goods and services tend to go back down. Now your deflated currency has more buying power. The 82 cent COLA is more than enough to cover the ideal 2% inflation rate, plus some.

In the long run, if inflation returns to "normal," you will come out ahead.

The only way to “come out ahead” would be if there was a negative rate of inflation, like there was during the Great Depression. An event like this would be very painful for the economy in the short term before it got better.

Wrong. When the inflation goes back to normal, the 82 cent COLA overcomes the deflation of the currency, plus some.

Talk about having no clue how compounding works. Wow.

I know exactly how inflation works. The 82 cent COLA does not cover the inflation right now. When inflation drops back to 2 or 3%, that 82 cents more than overcomes the devaluation of the currency, making up for what you are paying more for now.

If we did not get a COLA, or a very minimal COLA, yes, it would not keep up with the devalued currency. What we got more than makes up for the devaluation of the currency at the typical 2-3% inflation rate.

Cowboy Mac

Yes, the currency is still inflated. But not at 8%. Most experts target a 2% inflation rate. As inflation goes up, like it is now, the price of goods and services go up, making the currency devalued.

When the inflation goes down, the price of goods and services tend to go back down. Now your deflated currency has more buying power. The 82 cent COLA is more than enough to cover the ideal 2% inflation rate, plus some.

Wrong. When the inflation goes back to normal, the 82 cent COLA overcomes the deflation of the currency, plus some.

I know exactly how inflation works. The 82 cent COLA does not cover the inflation right now. When inflation drops back to 2 or 3%, that 82 cents more than overcomes the devaluation of the currency, making up for what you are paying more for now.

If we did not get a COLA, or a very minimal COLA, yes, it would not keep up with the devalued currency. What we got more than makes up for the devaluation of the currency at the typical 2-3% inflation rate.
I’m so sorry you typed all of that and still don’t understand how inflation works. When inflation drops back down to 2-3%, that is not deflation, and the currency is not devalued. It is still increasing in value, just at a slower rate.

If I am driving my car with the gas pedal to the floor and I take half of the pressure off the pedal, my car is still accelerating. My rate of acceleration is less than it was before, but my speed is still increasing. I did not touch the brakes.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

You are presuming that the inflation rate will go back to 2-3%..

Do not see that on the horizon soon...especially before the midterms let alone our Contract.

DELACROIX

I’m so sorry you typed all of that and still don’t understand how inflation works. When inflation drops back down to 2-3%, that is not deflation, and the currency is not devalued. It is still increasing in value, just at a slower rate.

If I am driving my car with the gas pedal to the floor and I take half of the pressure off the pedal, my car is still accelerating. My rate of acceleration is less than it was before, but my speed is still increasing. I did not touch the brakes.

No such thing as deflation in our economy..

:goodpost:

oldupsman

$7 a hour, basically everything stays the same. You take?
Well that is really a personal choice question depending on your situation.
If I'm 45 with 25 in and need 10 more I'm much more concerned about taking care
of my body with less hours, better equipment, enough help.

If I'm 25 and invincible with 3 years in, still feeling great, yeah you're right. The kid
probably wants the money.

Interesting question. Average age of a package car driver nationwide. Same with feeders.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think for most people it’s much lower than what I just said. I would bet for $50/hr by 2028, most full timers would sell their brothers out. They don’t think about the fact that we are locked in to this deal for 5 years.
You will be lucky to keep it a 5 year contract. When I worked it was always a 3 year contract then the uped it to 5. Next step will be a 10 year followed by a Life Time contract. The longer they can extend it the better they like it (That goes for BOTH sides.

Trucker Clock

Incorrect. If your speed is already high enough, you will decelerate if you take half pressure off the throttle.

You are presuming that the inflation rate will go back to 2-3%..

Do not see that on the horizon soon...especially before the midterms let alone our Contract.

You are correct. If inflation does not return to "normal," the 82 cent COLA will not be enough to eventually break even before the next inflationary COLA kicks in.

But the COLA calculation does not the future into account.

DELACROIX

Well that is really a personal choice question depending on your situation.
If I'm 45 with 25 in and need 10 more I'm much more concerned about taking care
of my body with less hours, better equipment, enough help.

If I'm 25 and invincible with 3 years in, still feeling great, yeah you're right. The kid
probably wants the money.

Interesting question. Average age of a package car driver nationwide. Same with feeders.

My estimate...

RPCD......................40

22.4’s.......................25

Feeders...................as old as Methuselah

New Part timer ........15 1/2

Old Part timer ..........15 3/4

22.2’s........................Twice as old as Methuselah

Brownslave688

You keep typing lots of words and they all reinforce that you have no idea how it works.

If it goes down to 2% that doesn’t eliminate the 8% that happened. It’s on top of the 8% that happened. So no the 82 COLA raise does not magically make up for 8% inflation if inflation drops back to 2-3%

Brownslave688

“I know how inflation works”

Proceeds to further cement the fact that they do not know how it works.

SaladTosser

Kill me now
This is also true. Pushing for higher minimum wage also does not help minimum wage workers gain buying power
“Paying people more won’t help people who need more money.”

Prices will rise whether or not they get a raise. Blame greedy corporations taking advantage of the working class. Personally I can’t wait to see the return of the guillotine.

Thebrownblob

“Paying people more won’t help people who need more money.”

Prices will rise whether or not they get a raise. Blame greedy corporations taking advantage of the working class. Personally I can’t wait to see the return of the guillotine.

I didn’t say it wouldn’t give them more money,I said it wouldn’t give them more buying power. I stand by that and be careful what you wish for because the guillotine might be for us. These greedy corporations are in bed with the government working against us.