Yes or NO on NEW CONTRACT?

Will u vote yes or no on the new contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

local804

Should I start another thread so you can say you don't care about the retirement of our union bros in the Central States and that they can go and pound sand because you want a few more pennies???:wink:
:

////
Can we start a thread and call it stop putting words in my mouth, or you talk more crap than a toiletbowl?

local804

I was unaware of that statistic...Can you share your source of information please??

Maybe we should offer bullet proof vests and firearms for our drivers in N.J.:laugh:

Now you're making me sad reminding me that one of my favorite shows is over...The Soprano's, I'll betcha Tony would protect our union bros in New Jersey!!:thumbup1:

////

You can easily check out your stats directly with osha.
btw there was only 1 police officer killed in the line of duty last year NJ
Officer Robery Ngyugen

I think the Meadowland building alone could beat that with the driver that was run over or the suit that was squashed in between the trailer.

H

hoff3378

NO

{pasting the same thing multiple times in several threads is spam - url and account deleted}

Bill

Its way to early to come to a conclusion on this deal. Yes tdu syas it less than the last contract, but the money is not horrible, and it looks like the pension should be better off. Until we see it all together as of oct 11th copies will be given to all of our locals, lets sit back and wait.

I do believe this contract will pass, because if it is voted down there will not be enough time to re-negioate a new deal in order to beat the jan1st pension reform, just my opinion. If i was voting right now i would vote no, but lets look at all the new language.
I'm back. Before you speak, you should know the facts. Everyone is under the impression that UPS is taking us completely out of CS. UPS is not buying us out of CS. They are buying themselves out of any future obligations. Starting Jan 1, 2008, all money that UPS puts into a pension, would be put into a fund co-administered by UPS and the Teamsters. Our future pensions accruals will be taken over by UPS, but any past years worked would be paid out by CS. In other words, we will be receiving two checks when we retire, one from CS and another from UPS. Here is the big problem with this picture. Since UPS is no longer contributing to the CS pension fund, no additional money is going in, but money is still outgoing to the current and future retirees. The 6.1 billion dollar buyout goes into the CS fund, bringing it up to 70% funded, but every future year, the fund will drain at a faster pace than it currently does. CS will be back to the same position we are in now, in less than 4 years, and since no new money is being put into the pot, it is inevitable that retirees will have their pensions slashed deeply. There is no security in this plan. The only winner is UPS, as they will be billions ahead of the game, after only a few years. Also, UPS could put any amount per hour into the IBT/UPS pension fund, but we still get the same retirement amount per month. Does this make any sense to you? It doesn't to me. Each year they put more money in. After enough years have passed, enough money will be in this new fund, whereas the interest alone would pay the $3000 monthly pension. UPS will not have to put another penny in. The bottom line is that the money that UPS puts in, goes right back to them. Hypothetically, UPS could put in $100 per hour per employee, but we will never see more than the $3000 per month. What is $3000 per month worth 30 years from now? It is not even enough right now!!!!!

Bill

Well, you kinda missed my point 804. I was really debating putting that high school diploma reference in there and that's what you focused on. Twenty years ago a degree certainly did not have the impact it does today and anyone can tell you if you're looking for a good job the degree will help tremendously.

UPS still foots the bill for tuition reimbursement (another nice benefit) for part-timers and full-timers if you or anyone ever decides they want to make more of themselves. You have to make the time to attend classes, nights, weekends, etc..

Since you listed those other jobs I'll comment....Most all of them require anywhere from 2-5years of training and being a police officer is a noble profession but it is a heck of a lot more dangerous then that of a UPS Driver. Also the comparison would be if you had no experience going to get one of these jobs like most of us did when we came to work for UPS. You don't just jump ship and get yourself a job making what we make now unless you've had some kind of training or education...

Anyway my point was that we're real fortunate to make the living we do driving trucks and I think a lot of people here including myself just take it for granted way too often...

Some might even say they don't care!

I noticed you didn't say a word about the thousands of good teamsters and UPSers in the Central States who will be much better off better off with their retirement fund in tact!!:wink:
The retirement fund in CS is no more secure now than before. UPS is not buying us out out CS, they are buying themselves out. Please refer to the above message I wrote to RED.

Cezanne

Has anybody out there gotten any facts and figures on how this new UPS/Teamster pension plan will work. Is it at l32 per full time years and what about your time worked as a part-timer, is it included and at what formula? Inquiring minds want to know.:cool:

Cezanne

I hate to answer my own question, but check out the hall video on the international's web site. It is about 45 minutes long, the interesting part it towards the end.

It appears that your part time years under this plan are included (pro-rata) in for your service pension for a 25, 30 and 35 and out. I am afraid that whatever you were to collect for that time will remain the same, so you can retire but you are not going to get much. Apparently your part time pension, Central States and this new UPS/Pension plan are three separate accounts and each one pays their own monetary benefit. Something to bring up when you have your contract meetings.

This is very important for anybody with alot of years in under the company UPS pension plan. :crying:

siouxman

siouxman
i'm thinking no, but need more details to decide.
everyone should go to the teamsters web site and view the video thats on there. it has some good information.I have been reading all the information i can find and I have told myself I will not make my mind up until our meeting with the local. I encourage everyone to read and learn about the contract before you cast your vote and most importantly cast a vote ya or na.

Leftinbuilding

everyone should go to the teamsters web site and view the video thats on there. it has some good information.I have been reading all the information i can find and I have told myself I will not make my mind up until our meeting with the local. I encourage everyone to read and learn about the contract before you cast your vote and most importantly cast a vote ya or na.

Is there another option??? :confused:1

Coldworld

is there anyone here that is from western conf. teamsters that have recently retired, or knows someone who has. Wondering what the monthly payout was. Does anyone know if the cs plan will affect any other pension plan ups has?

705red

Browncafe Steward
I'm back. Before you speak, you should know the facts. Everyone is under the impression that UPS is taking us completely out of CS. UPS is not buying us out of CS. They are buying themselves out of any future obligations. Starting Jan 1, 2008, all money that UPS puts into a pension, would be put into a fund co-administered by UPS and the Teamsters. Our future pensions accruals will be taken over by UPS, but any past years worked would be paid out by CS. In other words, we will be receiving two checks when we retire, one from CS and another from UPS. Here is the big problem with this picture. Since UPS is no longer contributing to the CS pension fund, no additional money is going in, but money is still outgoing to the current and future retirees. The 6.1 billion dollar buyout goes into the CS fund, bringing it up to 70% funded, but every future year, the fund will drain at a faster pace than it currently does. CS will be back to the same position we are in now, in less than 4 years, and since no new money is being put into the pot, it is inevitable that retirees will have their pensions slashed deeply. There is no security in this plan. The only winner is UPS, as they will be billions ahead of the game, after only a few years. Also, UPS could put any amount per hour into the IBT/UPS pension fund, but we still get the same retirement amount per month. Does this make any sense to you? It doesn't to me. Each year they put more money in. After enough years have passed, enough money will be in this new fund, whereas the interest alone would pay the $3000 monthly pension. UPS will not have to put another penny in. The bottom line is that the money that UPS puts in, goes right back to them. Hypothetically, UPS could put in $100 per hour per employee, but we will never see more than the $3000 per month. What is $3000 per month worth 30 years from now? It is not even enough right now!!!!!

E79 my favorite word twisting apwa supporting friend, now im sure you saw in my post now lets wait to see all of the new language. Its real easy to jump on someones post that was posted before all the details came out, but thats all i come to expect of you. Hows van and danny?

agitator

"As govt expands, liberty contracts"..so says govols019....dont belive the hype on the libertarian stuff bro...its not govt that is the problem..its WHO CONTROLS THE GOVT...if govt is controlled by the wealthy and powerful corporate elites, then there is a threat to our economic and civil and environmental liberties/rights...but govt in the hands of WE THE PEOPLE, the hard working people who create the welath in this country...then its a good entity, which can protect us from big business crimes...Remember it was big govt that rescued our asses from the Great Depression...and gave us the 40 hr work week, and no child labor laws and the right to organize and collectively bargain and strike and gave us pensions and minimum wages..etc Granted some of these rights have been wittled away under right wing policies over the past 40 yrs or so.. BUT DONT PUT DOWN GOVT AND THE POSITIVE THINGS IT HAS DONE...just fight to put that power into the correct hands: the worker/union not Big Business...the environment not the polluter...the home owner, not the local chemical company, ..the renter/home owner not the banker/creditor....etc..KEEP THE FAITH!

area43

The only winner is UPS, as they will be billions ahead of the game, after only a few years. Also, UPS could put any amount per hour into the IBT/UPS pension fund, but we still get the same retirement amount per month. Does this make any sense to you? It doesn't to me. Each year they put more money in. After enough years have passed, enough money will be in this new fund, whereas the interest alone would pay the $3000 monthly pension. UPS will not have to put another penny in. The bottom line is that the money that UPS puts in, goes right back to them. Hypothetically, UPS could put in $100 per hour per employee, but we will never see more than the $3000 per month. What is $3000 per month worth 30 years from now? It is not even enough right now!!!!!

Hi Eng 79, I deleted the stuff in your post that I agree with. Its the stuff thats left I have questions about. The only winner is UPS. Hmmmm, billions in a few years. I have to respectfully disagree. I believe it will take longer than a few years for UPS to recoup its 6.1 billion( yearly difference in savings from not being in the CS plan). One Reason being, they are still obligated to pay the set amount of weekly pension contributions into the new IBT/UPS pension fund. This is set forth by the contract. UPS just can't put any amount of monies into the new fund. As the company grows so does the contributions. Teamsters will negotiate weekly pension increases on our behalf each contract time. Also I might add, $3000 a month isn't all that bad. Considering a 30yr out at any age. Whats good for UPS could also be good for us(hourlies), perphaps. Remember, its the health of the company that will secure our future. CS vs a New UPS/IBT plan. Could it be a lesser of 2 evils? The plan I am in now has had $2500/25 yrs at any age for as long as I ve been driving(19.5). I'll TAKE it. I'll be 47. IF it holds up. Hey I have no problem being a Walmart greeter to supplement my measley pension.LMAO Hey, I already have my house paid. No vehicle payments. Look at it this way. Monies not going out(buying stuff) are actually monies earned. Good ol self reliance. Works most everytime. ( ; Also lets not forget that 401k and maybe social security in a few more years. Yes!!!! More MONEY.

Damok

Hey, I already have my house paid. No vehicle payments. Look at it this way. Monies not going out(buying stuff) are actually monies earned. Good ol self reliance. Works most everytime. ( ; Also lets not forget that 401k and maybe social security in a few more years. Yes!!!! More MONEY.

Grats on the debt free-ness!! :D Almost there myself, just the house to pay off and a good many years until retirement ;)

agitator

Been hearing encouraging news about a strong NO VOTE...besides my own local in nyc area, ive heard personally from guys in florida, chicago, detroit about how even they are voting no and they are in central states...glad to see ranknfile members getting info and making informed decisions