“The Body of Christ” with Integrity (On Topic Only”

Integrity

Binge Poster
Because I woke up. Because I got 2 healthy kids and a wife. A good job to provide. Because I was born in usa. Because I was in a bad car accident at 15 and walked away unhurt. Out of nowhere a priest came to pray with me while everyone else was unconscious and stuck in car while the ambulance was stuck on the other side of a freight train
Thanks for sharing this!

I really appreciate the gratitude that you express. I can really relate.

Safe to say that you love Him because He loves you? I know my love for Him came as a result of His love for me.

Until I truly first experienced His love for me all the religious activities and attempts at righteousness were just taking me further away from Him and into myself. His love never stopped pursuing me, I’m so grateful for that.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
When I first experienced God’s love for me I was prone to black and white thinking and living as well.

As I sought to get closer and closer to the living God during my spiritual journey I was eventually freed from the prison of black and white thinking.

Today when I read the Bible I do it to relate and possibly hear from the living Word of God, Jesus.
Why do you infer I'm just black and white only?
If you think taking God at his word is like being in prison, I don't.
Emotion plays a huge part in my service to the Lord. If someone doesn't get emotional when they hear the story of the cross, or many other things in scripture, there's not much help for them.

"For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness." Rom.10:2-3

Paul says you need to keep your emotions in check.
What good would it do you if I could get you to cry loud and hard over a bible topic? What would that prove about what is the truth according to God's word?
Whenever one lets emotion get ahead of reason and ahead of what God says, you're on dangerous ground.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
What the scripture states is my belief. No argument.
1612071273986.png

BrownFlush

Mark 16:16 does not mention water. James 2:24 doesn't mention baptism at all, as you seem to suggest.
Mark 16:16 does not mention water. I affirm that it is water.
This is what Jesus told his Apostles to go out into the world and preach. "He that believes and is baptized shall be saved." This commission was given after His death , burial, and resurrection. This message and people responding to this message and becoming Christians is seen all through the book of Acts and the epistles.
Please tell me what baptism is it if it isn't water.

James 2:24 does not mention baptism and I did not suggest that it did.
We are saved by faith, but “not by faith only” (Jas. 2:24). Faith must lead to repentance (not repentance only), confession of Christ (not confession only), and immersion in water (not baptism only). Just as we are saved by faith, but not faith only, the Bible also says we are saved by baptism, but it does not say baptism only (1 Pet. 3:21). All of these steps or conditions are certainly tied to faith, they cannot occur except by faith but faith without these steps is not a saving faith.
The text is talking about faith and works. If you have a faith that is pleasing to God it will be one that is active and doing good works.
Helping those in need, etc. Those are good works. We need to work them. You could do every good work know to man everyday and it would not earn you heaven. We do good because our faith is not dead. as we are not saved by baptism, I think we agree on that.

There is also works of righteousness.
"What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?" --Romans 6: 15-16 Slaves work.
Righteousness is simply being made right. Why would we do those things? Not to earn salvation . We do them because our faith is not dead. Obedience can either be to Satan or God
1 Peter 3:21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
Wow, ok, the verse you referenced says directly water is a symbol of baptism. Do you read the verses you reference first?
It saves you by the resurrection of Christ..yes that's what it says. If the Lord had not resurrected from the dead, baptism would be a waste of time.
Baptism is described as an "antitype" of Noah's deliverance in the ark. This emphasizes that the story of Noah pointed toward the role of baptism in our deliverance from a sinful world.
The agent of Noah's deliverance is attributed by Peter to a longsuffering God, whereas the agency of his deliverance was the flood, ("in which a few, that is eight souls were saved through water"), and the vehicle of his deliverance was the ark (1 Pet. 3:20).
"I thought he was being saved from the water, not 'through' or 'by' the water?" Actually, the flood separated Noah and his family from the sinful world in which they previously lived and upon which God had poured out destruction (2 Pet. 3:4-6).
The counterpart to this historical account is our deliverance from a sinful world by Jesus Christ, as the agent of our salvation; in baptism, as the vehicle of our redemption; and through the agency of Jesus' resurrection.
The correspondence between the phrases: "through water" and "through the resurrection" help us understand Peter's point. It is not that baptism is our Savior, for Jesus is our Savior. Nor is it that we are saved by baptism alone, for Peter affirms that baptism saves…through the resurrection of Jesus.
No one denies that God saves! Admittedly, if one to attempt to emphasize the vehicle of salvation,( baptism,) without the agency, ,(the death and resurrection of Jesus), he could not be saved any more than if Noah had built an ark and the flood had never come upon the earth.
However, this would be as if he refused to enter the ark but still expected salvation. Today, those who adopt this approach speak of the agency of salvation (death and resurrection of Christ), but they refuse to get into the ark of salvation (faith expressed in baptism).
Baptism is simply an expression of faith and an appeal toward God for salvation. Far from being associated with any merit on our part, it reflects "the working of God" (Col. 2:11-12). In baptism, we are pleading for mercy and grace, and God tenderly and willingly offers abundant life to those who seek him with an honest heart. Let us understand that faith, repentance, and baptism, while distinct, are intimately and inseparably connected in our conversion to Christ. Thank God for His loving grace toward us!
John 3:5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.
Ok, very simply put. Direct from the mouth of the teacher. I can agree that he is talking about being baptized by water. That doesn't mean it's not symbolic.
Symbolic?
There is no symbolism in the text.
If that's the case, to be correct grammatically,"enter the kingdom of heaven" would be symbolic.
Accepting the gift of salvation requires repentance, for sure, and we are not saved by that repentance as we are not saved by baptism, I think we agree on that.
No. We don't agree on that.Your statement doesn't make sense. You say salvation requires repentance, but repentance doesn't save you? " I tell you, unless you repent you shall all likewise perish." --Luke 13:3 Jesus says if you don't repent it will have something to do with your salvation.as we are not saved by baptism, I think we agree on that.You say we are not saved by baptism but the Apostle Peter says we are. See above.The gift of salvation is not unconditional . If it was, all who have died, die now, and die tomorrow will be in heaven. This contrary to scripture.Receiving the gift of salvation requires obedience to his will

You say you have to be water baptized to wash away your sin, though Jesus didn't say that.
I don't say it. the Bible says it.
Yes, he did. John 3:5, Mark 16:16, Matt 28: 18 -20 The Great Commission
This was taught to Saul who became the Apostle Paul "And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name." Acts 22:16

1 John 1:7 But if we live in the light, as God does, we share in life with each other. And the blood of his Son Jesus washes all our sins away.
Yes it does.When do you come into contact with the blood of Christ? Yes, it is symbolic .
Romans 6--
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. We who died to sin, how shall we any longer live therein? Or are ye ignorant that all who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him through baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we also might walk in newness of life. For if we have become united with him in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection; knowing this, that our old man was crucified with him, that the body of sin might be done away, that so we should no longer be in bondage to sin; for he that hath died is justified from sin. But if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him. For the death that he died, he died unto sin once: but the life that he liveth, he liveth unto God. Even so reckon ye also yourselves to be dead unto sin, but alive unto God in Christ Jesus."

The likeness between Christ's physical death, burial and resurrection and the burial and resurrection of one who is dead in sin is the point of the passage. When a person reaches the age of accountability and commits sin, he then becomes the slave of sin, or "dead in sin." He is separated from God's favor because of his sins. Just as Christ was dead when He was buried, so a person is spiritually dead when he is buried in baptism. According to you, saved people are being buried alive. Burial is for dead people.

When does one die to sin? Some say that he dies to sin when he repents, or turns from sin. The Bible certainly teaches that one must repent before he can be scripturally baptized, but is that the "death to sin" of this passage? If so, then a person is "free from sin" before he is baptized!
Verse 7 says, "He that hath died is justified from sin." Verse 11 says those "dead unto sin" are "alive unto God."
Look carefully at verses 4 and 8 the picture becomes clear. In verse 4 : "We were buried therefore with him through baptism into death"; verse 8, "if" died with Christ . . . ." We died with Christ when we were "buried with him through baptism." The "death" of verse 4 is our own death to sin. We were buried in order to die to sin.
A penitent believer is still in sin, but when he is baptized "into Christ's death," he dies to sin and arises to walk in newness of life. He is "dead in sin," and is baptized into Christ's death and into his own "death to sin." The "old man is crucified with him," or "the body. of sin is done away" when the person dead in sin is buried by baptism into Christ. When he died to sin He is "justified from sin" (v. 7); he is "alive unto God in Christ Jesus" (v. 11).
Death "to sin" in Romans six takes place when one is baptized into Christ.

Matthew 3:11 "I baptize with water those who repent of their sins and turn to God. But someone is coming soon who is greater than I am--so much greater that I'm not worthy even to be his slave and carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire."

Not sure why you quote this. I'll give you my understanding what what John is saying. It's best to get the whole text for an understanding
Matt 3: 10 - 12 "And even now the axe lieth at the root of the trees: every tree therefore that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. I indeed baptize you in water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit and in fire: whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his threshing-floor; and he will gather his wheat into the garner, but the chaff he will burn up with unquenchable fire."
Some time ago I heard of a church that was named after the baptism of fire. They maintain that this prophecy of the baptism of fire found its fulfillment on the day of Pentecost when the apostles were baptized with the Holy Spirit. They read the passage in Acts 2 where it says, "And there appeared unto them tongues parting asunder, like as of fire; and it sat upon each one of them," and from this they conclude that this was a fulfillment of the prophecy of Matt. 3:10-12.
If you read the statement in Matt. 3, you will see that the Lord promised two baptisms, one of the Holy Spirit, and one of fire.
On the day of Pentecost when the apostles were baptized of the Holy Spirit, you see a partial fulfillment of the prophecy, but what occurred on Pentecost was not a baptism of fire. The tongues that appeared unto the apostles, and that sat upon them were not of fire, but they were "like as of fire."
If you study the context of Matt. 3, you will see that the speaker, John the Baptist, was making two classifications. He spoke of the tree that bore good fruit, and of the tree that did not bring forth good fruit. The useless tree is hewn down and is cast into the fire. Then he also speaks of the wheat's threshing. The wheat is good, but the chaff is to be burned with unquenchable fire. This baptism of fire is the punishment of hell, or the casting into the lake of fire, and so that is a baptism you don't want.

Mark 10:38 “You don’t know what you are asking,” Jesus said. “Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?”
Jesus speaks here of his coming baptism, his baptism of suffering. With His divine foresight, it was possible for Him to look ahead a few days to the terrible agonies and pains through which He was to go on the cross, and these sufferings, Jesus calls it a baptism. It means that he was to be covered or overwhelmed in suffering. Baptism here bears the same connotation, that of a burial. He tells the Apostles they to will suffer.

So, does the water of baptism wash your sins away?
Yes. According to scripture . It is an act of obedience "for the remission of your sins" -Acts 2:38-- It washed Paul's away in Acts 22:16
Or is it the blood of Christ?
Yes. In the act of baptism, that is the place you come in contact with the blood of Christ. Rom.6

If it's the blood, why do we need the water? If it's the water, why would we need the blood. If faith and water baptism was all we needed, why the sacrifice?
No sacrifice. No blood.
"Without the shedding of blood, no remission." ( Hebrews)
No baptism, no contact with the life saving blood. No dying with Him.

What faith does it really take to be dunked under water?
Evidently a lot.

We are baptized by the blood of Christ, my friend, and perhaps,
Not by the blood but into his death. Rom.6

and perhaps, the fire of the Holy Spirit.

No perhaps.
Holy Spirit baptism was completed and done with in Acts 1&2 and Acts 10.
Baptism of fire has already been explained. You don't want it.

Baptism is certainly necessary for salvation
What?
I get to the end of all this and you stay this? Good deal.I like the word essential .

being dunked is a symbol.
A symbol of what?

What baptism does:
Puts one into Christ - Rom. 6:3-4; Gal. 3:27
Makes one a child of God - Gal. 3:26-27
Put on Christ - Gal. 3:27
Puts into one body - 1 Cor. 12:13
Saves - Mk. 16:15-16; 1 Pet. 3:21
Remission of sins - Acts 2:38
Washes away sin - Acts 22:16

Integrity

Binge Poster
Why do you infer I'm just black and white only?
If you think taking God at his word is like being in prison, I don't.
Emotion plays a huge part in my service to the Lord. If someone doesn't get emotional when they hear the story of the cross, or many other things in scripture, there's not much help for them.

"For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness." Rom.10:2-3

Paul says you need to keep your emotions in check.
What good would it do you if I could get you to cry loud and hard over a bible topic? What would that prove about what is the truth according to God's word?
Whenever one lets emotion get ahead of reason and ahead of what God says, you're on dangerous ground.
I love the Bible it is and has been important and useful in my faith and spiritual journey.

It is “black and white” thinking that was a prison for me.

In my experience strict adherence to “the letter of the law” was preventing me from seeing and hearing the Spirit of the law.

Where as, living by the Spirit has opened up a spiritual realm that no amount of living by the flesh and pursuing my righteousness in strict adherence to any written code had accomplished while living that way.

I learned to believe and put my faith in the Word of God, Jesus. My righteousness is found in my faith in him alone.

God’s love for humanity is simply amazing. The righteous of God, Jesus the Christ. The Word of God made flesh. His love and his faithfulness, righteousness of God for everyone who believes.

Question:
Do believe in using musical instruments in church worship services?

Last edited:

BrownFlush

I love the Bible it is and has been important and useful in my faith and spiritual journey.

It is “black and white” thinking that was a prison for me.
You've said this and I responded.
You never responded to what I said.
In my experience strict adherence to “the letter of the law” was preventing me from seeing and hearing the Spirit of the law.
Seems your experience is different than what Jesus said. But, lest we forget, your experience and feelings are the go to standard.
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel" -- Matt. 23: 23-24
The Lord said here to follow the letter of the law ( up to the point of tithing even the smallest of things) but in doing so do not forget to take care and not neglect the things that are apparent.

I learned to believe and put my faith in the Word of God, Jesus.
From your comments, this isn't so.
You've admitted that you don't believe all of the Bible
My righteousness is found in my faith in him alone.
God’s love for humanity is simply amazing. The righteous of God, Jesus the Christ. The Word of God made flesh. His love and his faithfulness, righteousness of God for everyone who believes.
You've said this numerous times.
I've tried to give you scripture and have an actual discussion/ debate about what the Bible actually says, but you keep talking about your experience and feelings. It's seems you've landed on God's love is amazing and so one can believe what they want and all is good.
Satan does his best work with the blind and deaf.
Question:
Do believe in using musical instruments in church worship services?
Doesn't matter what I believe.
Having said that, you know the answer or you wouldn't be asking.
I would engage you in discussion why I have the position I do with instrumental music in worship , but from our experience in this thread it would be a waste of valuable time because
1) You don't believe God's word is the final authority.
2) You believe only the parts you like. And that appears questionable if it comes from scripture.
3) There has been no response to scripture that required discussion form you. "I don't believe like you " but nothing else is not discussion or debate.
4) Why discuss what the Bible says about any subject with you? No matter the points made , it all lands back in the amazing love of God and your experience .

BrownFlush

Why do you love God?
Forgot about this.
All the books written could not contain why.

"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word," Eph. 5: 22-25

Two different kinds of love here.
The Lord's love is a sacrificial love. Husbands are to love their wives with the same kind of love. ( would die for them)
The wife's response is to submit (love) as does the church submits because of that kind of love.

The Lord's sacrificial love will garner in you a love that is one of submission ( a different kind of love)
He loved you enough to die for you, our response is we should love him and we show that to him by submitting to him.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Neither one of you two are going to change the mind of the other.
I in no way seek to change anyone’s mind.

“Live and Let Live” I say.

One thing we are both in agreement on is that God so loves the world, and he so loves us both.

That is truly an amazing thing even if we see the purpose and use of the Bible differently.

I believe love can cover a multitude of sins.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You've said this and I responded.
You never responded to what I said.

Seems your experience is different than what Jesus said. But, lest we forget, your experience and feelings are the go to standard.
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel" -- Matt. 23: 23-24
The Lord said here to follow the letter of the law ( up to the point of tithing even the smallest of things) but in doing so do not forget to take care and not neglect the things that are apparent.

As you have pointed out before, the pharisees were subject to the original covenant, and Jesus was pointing out their hypocrisy of picking which laws to follow. He also condemned them for adding to and expanding on the law, crushing the spirits of the sinners:

Luke 11:46
Jesus replied, “And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.

In Matthew 19:16-30 Jesus tells us that even following the law will not save us. And when the disciples ask if a man who follows the law is not saved, who can be? Jesus answers, with God all things are possible. He is, again, foreshadowing his impending death and resurrection, through which even the wealthy young man can be saved.
Matthew 19
16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother, and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.”

20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”

26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

27 Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?”

28 Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. 30 But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Forgot about this.
All the books written could not contain why.

"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word," Eph. 5: 22-25

Two different kinds of love here.
The Lord's love is a sacrificial love. Husbands are to love their wives with the same kind of love. ( would die for them)
The wife's response is to submit (love) as does the church submits because of that kind of love.

The Lord's sacrificial love will garner in you a love that is one of submission ( a different kind of love)
He loved you enough to die for you, our response is we should love him and we show that to him by submitting to him.
I appreciate your knowledge and your ability to navigate and discuss your points of view and beliefs you firmly base on the Bible.

However informative and well done this doesn’t answer the question.

If it wasn’t clear to the reader, my intent for the question was for it to be answered in a personal way.

So I am prompted to rephrase the question:

@BrownFlush,
Why do you love God?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Mark 16:16 does not mention water. I affirm that it is water.
This is what Jesus told his Apostles to go out into the world and preach. "He that believes and is baptized shall be saved." This commission was given after His death , burial, and resurrection. This message and people responding to this message and becoming Christians is seen all through the book of Acts and the epistles.
Please tell me what baptism is it if it isn't water.

James 2:24 does not mention baptism and I did not suggest that it did.

The text is talking about faith and works. If you have a faith that is pleasing to God it will be one that is active and doing good works.
Helping those in need, etc. Those are good works. We need to work them. You could do every good work know to man everyday and it would not earn you heaven. We do good because our faith is not dead. as we are not saved by baptism, I think we agree on that.

There is also works of righteousness.
"What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?" --Romans 6: 15-16 Slaves work.
Righteousness is simply being made right. Why would we do those things? Not to earn salvation . We do them because our faith is not dead. Obedience can either be to Satan or God

It saves you by the resurrection of Christ..yes that's what it says. If the Lord had not resurrected from the dead, baptism would be a waste of time.
Baptism is described as an "antitype" of Noah's deliverance in the ark. This emphasizes that the story of Noah pointed toward the role of baptism in our deliverance from a sinful world.
The agent of Noah's deliverance is attributed by Peter to a longsuffering God, whereas the agency of his deliverance was the flood, ("in which a few, that is eight souls were saved through water"), and the vehicle of his deliverance was the ark (1 Pet. 3:20).
"I thought he was being saved from the water, not 'through' or 'by' the water?" Actually, the flood separated Noah and his family from the sinful world in which they previously lived and upon which God had poured out destruction (2 Pet. 3:4-6).
The counterpart to this historical account is our deliverance from a sinful world by Jesus Christ, as the agent of our salvation; in baptism, as the vehicle of our redemption; and through the agency of Jesus' resurrection.
The correspondence between the phrases: "through water" and "through the resurrection" help us understand Peter's point. It is not that baptism is our Savior, for Jesus is our Savior. Nor is it that we are saved by baptism alone, for Peter affirms that baptism saves…through the resurrection of Jesus.
No one denies that God saves! Admittedly, if one to attempt to emphasize the vehicle of salvation,( baptism,) without the agency, ,(the death and resurrection of Jesus), he could not be saved any more than if Noah had built an ark and the flood had never come upon the earth.
However, this would be as if he refused to enter the ark but still expected salvation. Today, those who adopt this approach speak of the agency of salvation (death and resurrection of Christ), but they refuse to get into the ark of salvation (faith expressed in baptism).
Baptism is simply an expression of faith and an appeal toward God for salvation. Far from being associated with any merit on our part, it reflects "the working of God" (Col. 2:11-12). In baptism, we are pleading for mercy and grace, and God tenderly and willingly offers abundant life to those who seek him with an honest heart. Let us understand that faith, repentance, and baptism, while distinct, are intimately and inseparably connected in our conversion to Christ. Thank God for His loving grace toward us!

Symbolic?
There is no symbolism in the text.
If that's the case, to be correct grammatically,"enter the kingdom of heaven" would be symbolic.

No. We don't agree on that.Your statement doesn't make sense. You say salvation requires repentance, but repentance doesn't save you? " I tell you, unless you repent you shall all likewise perish." --Luke 13:3 Jesus says if you don't repent it will have something to do with your salvation.as we are not saved by baptism, I think we agree on that.You say we are not saved by baptism but the Apostle Peter says we are. See above.The gift of salvation is not unconditional . If it was, all who have died, die now, and die tomorrow will be in heaven. This contrary to scripture.Receiving the gift of salvation requires obedience to his will

I don't say it. the Bible says it.
Yes, he did. John 3:5, Mark 16:16, Matt 28: 18 -20 The Great Commission
This was taught to Saul who became the Apostle Paul "And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name." Acts 22:16

Yes it does.When do you come into contact with the blood of Christ? Yes, it is symbolic .
Romans 6--
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. We who died to sin, how shall we any longer live therein? Or are ye ignorant that all who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him through baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we also might walk in newness of life. For if we have become united with him in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection; knowing this, that our old man was crucified with him, that the body of sin might be done away, that so we should no longer be in bondage to sin; for he that hath died is justified from sin. But if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him. For the death that he died, he died unto sin once: but the life that he liveth, he liveth unto God. Even so reckon ye also yourselves to be dead unto sin, but alive unto God in Christ Jesus."

The likeness between Christ's physical death, burial and resurrection and the burial and resurrection of one who is dead in sin is the point of the passage. When a person reaches the age of accountability and commits sin, he then becomes the slave of sin, or "dead in sin." He is separated from God's favor because of his sins. Just as Christ was dead when He was buried, so a person is spiritually dead when he is buried in baptism. According to you, saved people are being buried alive. Burial is for dead people.

When does one die to sin? Some say that he dies to sin when he repents, or turns from sin. The Bible certainly teaches that one must repent before he can be scripturally baptized, but is that the "death to sin" of this passage? If so, then a person is "free from sin" before he is baptized!
Verse 7 says, "He that hath died is justified from sin." Verse 11 says those "dead unto sin" are "alive unto God."
Look carefully at verses 4 and 8 the picture becomes clear. In verse 4 : "We were buried therefore with him through baptism into death"; verse 8, "if" died with Christ . . . ." We died with Christ when we were "buried with him through baptism." The "death" of verse 4 is our own death to sin. We were buried in order to die to sin.
A penitent believer is still in sin, but when he is baptized "into Christ's death," he dies to sin and arises to walk in newness of life. He is "dead in sin," and is baptized into Christ's death and into his own "death to sin." The "old man is crucified with him," or "the body. of sin is done away" when the person dead in sin is buried by baptism into Christ. When he died to sin He is "justified from sin" (v. 7); he is "alive unto God in Christ Jesus" (v. 11).
Death "to sin" in Romans six takes place when one is baptized into Christ.

Not sure why you quote this. I'll give you my understanding what what John is saying. It's best to get the whole text for an understanding
Matt 3: 10 - 12 "And even now the axe lieth at the root of the trees: every tree therefore that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. I indeed baptize you in water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit and in fire: whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his threshing-floor; and he will gather his wheat into the garner, but the chaff he will burn up with unquenchable fire."
Some time ago I heard of a church that was named after the baptism of fire. They maintain that this prophecy of the baptism of fire found its fulfillment on the day of Pentecost when the apostles were baptized with the Holy Spirit. They read the passage in Acts 2 where it says, "And there appeared unto them tongues parting asunder, like as of fire; and it sat upon each one of them," and from this they conclude that this was a fulfillment of the prophecy of Matt. 3:10-12.
If you read the statement in Matt. 3, you will see that the Lord promised two baptisms, one of the Holy Spirit, and one of fire.
On the day of Pentecost when the apostles were baptized of the Holy Spirit, you see a partial fulfillment of the prophecy, but what occurred on Pentecost was not a baptism of fire. The tongues that appeared unto the apostles, and that sat upon them were not of fire, but they were "like as of fire."
If you study the context of Matt. 3, you will see that the speaker, John the Baptist, was making two classifications. He spoke of the tree that bore good fruit, and of the tree that did not bring forth good fruit. The useless tree is hewn down and is cast into the fire. Then he also speaks of the wheat's threshing. The wheat is good, but the chaff is to be burned with unquenchable fire. This baptism of fire is the punishment of hell, or the casting into the lake of fire, and so that is a baptism you don't want.

Jesus speaks here of his coming baptism, his baptism of suffering. With His divine foresight, it was possible for Him to look ahead a few days to the terrible agonies and pains through which He was to go on the cross, and these sufferings, Jesus calls it a baptism. It means that he was to be covered or overwhelmed in suffering. Baptism here bears the same connotation, that of a burial. He tells the Apostles they to will suffer.

Yes. According to scripture . It is an act of obedience "for the remission of your sins" -Acts 2:38-- It washed Paul's away in Acts 22:16

Yes. In the act of baptism, that is the place you come in contact with the blood of Christ. Rom.6

No sacrifice. No blood.
"Without the shedding of blood, no remission." ( Hebrews)
No baptism, no contact with the life saving blood. No dying with Him.

Evidently a lot.

Not by the blood but into his death. Rom.6

No perhaps.
Holy Spirit baptism was completed and done with in Acts 1&2 and Acts 10.
Baptism of fire has already been explained. You don't want it.

What?
I get to the end of all this and you stay this? Good deal.I like the word essential .

A symbol of what?

What baptism does:
Puts one into Christ - Rom. 6:3-4; Gal. 3:27
Makes one a child of God - Gal. 3:26-27
Put on Christ - Gal. 3:27
Puts into one body - 1 Cor. 12:13
Saves - Mk. 16:15-16; 1 Pet. 3:21
Remission of sins - Acts 2:38
Washes away sin - Acts 22:16

You are clearly not having a good faith discussion of scripture. I simply don't have the time to parse out everything you just wrote and point out all the fallacy, misinterpretation, and just plain gibberish. Anyone who actually takes the time to read that wall of text will hopefully see it for what it really is without me having to break it down for them. Best wishes.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I appreciate your knowledge and your ability to navigate and discuss your points of view and beliefs you firmly base on the Bible.

If it wasn’t clear to the reader, my intent for the question was for it to be answered in a personal way.

@BrownFlush,
Why do you love God?

I don't think you will get a straight answer. He clearly has some agenda that only he understands. Best just to end the engagement.

BrownFlush

As you have pointed out before, the pharisees were subject to the original covenant, and Jesus was pointing out their hypocrisy of picking which laws to follow. He also condemned them for adding to and expanding on the law, crushing the spirits of the sinners:

Luke 11:46
Jesus replied, “And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.

In Matthew 19:16-30 Jesus tells us that even following the law will not save us. And when the disciples ask if a man who follows the law is not saved, who can be? Jesus answers, with God all things are possible. He is, again, foreshadowing his impending death and resurrection, through which even the wealthy young man can be saved.
Matthew 19
16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother, and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.”

20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”

26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

27 Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?”

28 Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. 30 But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.
What point , points are you making with these passages?
Do you want me to expound more on them?
You are quoting a response to Ineg.
You are clearly not having a good faith discussion of scripture. I simply don't have the time to parse out everything you just wrote and point out all the fallacy, misinterpretation, and just plain gibberish. Anyone who actually takes the time to read that wall of text will hopefully see it for what it really is without me having to break it down for them. Best wishes.
“A good faith discussion “ lol Too much Bible speak for you. Faith & discussion is good when it comes from the Bible.
Too bad.
I thought you might have been a serious Bible student.
No time, no response, no counter means no courage, no knowledge, or no scripture to back your position. I’m thinking all three.
Weak.
Best wishes
I don't think you will get a straight answer. He clearly has some agenda that only he understands. Best just to end the engagement.
Sorry pal, my answers have been straight from a book you won’t address or respond to.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Maybe not. He can answer any way he wants. He works very hard at replying in this discussion, I appreciate his efforts. I am not going to stop loving Him.

Thanks for your contribution as well!!

BrownFlush

@BrownFlush,
Why do you love God?
Read the passage again.
One can not help but love ( a responsive love)God because of his sacrificial willingness to give his Son to die and who loved me enough to sacrifice his life for me.
My response to that kind of love is to love him and his will and not myself and my will.

BrownFlush

I don't think you will get a straight answer.
Sorry.
Plain Bible passages are meant to be understood. The Holy Spirit gave us words revealing the mind of God and his plan for our salvation.
One can understand his” agenda “. That’s not the problem.
Accepting his “ agenda “ has always been the problem.