10 step pay raises

overflowed

You in a nutshell. A tool that whines moans and bitches every day. All 6'7" 290 lbs of you.
Van is a big dude , I doubt you'd be talking all this trash in his face . I seriously doubt you'll meet him to settle your differences. You complain about Internet complainers, but really everyone here knows that's exactly what you are.

FedExMan

When you post that no one thinks 401k is a poor option for retirement. It means you don't know what you are talking about. You haven't actually researched the 401k.

So my question becomes why defend something you don't know anything about?

Why defend this abstract thing "the 401k" which was created as a way for Kodak to hide the income of two highly paid execs in the tax code over pensions?

Why suggest it is great for retirement without actually bothering to research that claim?

Anyway Here are more links to reality:

Why 401(k)s Have Failed

Unfortunately, while Frontlne's Martin Smith and his many great guests focused on costs (too high), poor guidance and employer neglect, the larger point is that employers don't have to provide 401(k)s at all -- and probably shouldn't.

The 401(k) plan was never meant to be a mainstream pension plan and is a poor substitute for one. It's a voluntary program that was intended to supplement retirement savings -- one of those quirky little options in the byzantine tax code that employers seized upon as a way to save money while pretending that they were doing the right thing by their employees.

The Retirement Revolution That Failed: Why the 401(k) Isn’t Working

Nearly half of all working-age families have no money in retirement accounts at all. The median family has $5,000 saved. Even for people between the ages of 56 and 61, the median retirement account savings is a paltry $17,000. While the top 10 percent have at least $274,000 saved, the bottom 50 percent have next to nothing. “We are moving toward a retirement system that magnifies inequality instead of just reflecting it,” Morrissey said on a conference call Thursday.

This was not always the case. Pensions used to be far more egalitarian, held by people of modest incomes as much as the wealthy. Pensions were even held relatively equally by white and black populations. (Hispanics, Morrissey points out, always lagged behind.)

Is the 401(k) experiment a failure?

You need to know this number: $18,433.

That's the median amount in a 401(k) savings account, according to a recent report by the Employee Benefit Research Institute. Almost 40 percent of employees have less than $10,000, even as the proportion of companies offering alternatives like defined benefit pensions continues to drop.

Older workers do tend to have more savings. At Vanguard, for example, the median for savers aged 55 to 64 in 2013 was $76,381. But even at that level, millions of workers nearing retirement are on track to leavethe workforce with savings that do not even approach what they will need for health care, let alone daily living. Not surprisingly, retirement is now Americans' top financial worry, according to a recent Gallup poll.

That's really hard to believe that 18,000 is the median. I grew that amount in less than 4 years with putting just enough for our match and was part time for 9 months.

FedExMan

What's so hard to believe about it? That half of all balances are higher or that half of all balances are lower?
Lower of course. The average 401(k) balance in Fidelity-administered plans rose to a record $92,500 at year-end, up $4,300 from the previous year. The average IRA balance at Fidelity was $93,700, up $3,600 from the previous year.

Last edited:

Oldfart

New 401k accounts are opened daily. Those accounts are all but empty and will drag the median balance down.
A comparison with accounts that are over 10 years old would be a better comparison. Not sure if anyone has access to that type of information.

whatwhat

This thread really took off in a different direction.. But has no one really heard anything from them yet? The last time they delayed it this long I feel like it was when the moved the raises from March to October.. I remember them just not saying a word about what was going on until mid March when that happened. Ugh, here we go again..

Oldfart

This thread really took off in a different direction.. But has no one really heard anything from them yet? The last time they delayed it this long I feel like it was when the moved the raises from March to October.. I remember them just not saying a word about what was going on until mid March when that happened. Ugh, here we go again..
The chart is there for everyone to see, except for those that are on step 10. The raises have been in Oct for the past few years and the only announcement before was the %. Now that most know the %, I wouldn't panic.

BootsOnTarmac

I remember the March move to October. FedEx said we have not eliminated the raise, just moved it to October. Um, yes, you have eliminated the raise, for 6 Months!

Yomama11

Wouldnt the chart change year after year? Starting pay has gone up every year so why wouldnt step 1 go up every year.

fedex_rtd

Remember it is a 10 step, not 10 year program.

The company may be expected Trump to run the economy into the ground like he has done to his business in the past.

Oldfart

Remember it is a 10 step, not 10 year program.

The company may be expected Trump to run the economy into the ground like he has done to his business in the past.
The market has had tremendous growth and record profits for many companies since the first of the year. My 401k is on fire as should most others in our plan.

Yomama11

The market has had tremendous growth and record profits for many companies since the first of the year. My 401k is on fire as should most others in our plan.
In that case all employees over 10 years of continuous service can skip a step.