10 step pay raises

MAKAVELI

My mgr said top and bottom are getting 3% but they haven't said yet if they are using last years steps or adjusted steps for everyone else.
I don't know about anybody else but I get the feeling that they're going to actually lower steps 2 through 9. Any mention of it to my management and they look like a deer caught in the Headlights.

MAKAVELI

Typical response
That may be true but this is more than a typical response. Top and bottom are getting a 3% bump but information on the steps were much more vague and they made it seem like those in progression would get close to 3% as well.

BootsOnTarmac

All I have heard so far is that I will be moving up a step with my wage based upon the FY16 chart. The topped out people will get 3% above FY16 step 10. The "Percent of Range" people will get 3%.

The FY17 chart will show what the current steps are and what your pay will be for the year October 2017 to October 2018.

I of course, will not believe it until the increase shows on my paycheck.

MAKAVELI

All I have heard so far is that I will be moving up a step with my wage based upon the FY16 chart. The topped out people will get 3% above FY16 step 10. The "Percent of Range" people will get 3%.

The FY17 chart will show what the current steps are and what your pay will be for the year October 2017 to October 2018.

I of course, will not believe it until the increase shows on my paycheck.
That's pretty much what I heard but with the caveat that everyone will see at least 3% increase. Just the fact they're not releasing the new scale until raises go into effect leads me to think that they are actually thinking about reducing the amount per step from last year. They also were not very enthusiastic when telling everybody this.

BootsOnTarmac

I agree, your "caveat" would mean a 3% increase above the steps listed in the FY 16 step chart. I doubt they will decrease the amount per step from the FY16 step chart for the FY17 Step chart.

My "caveat", they (FedEx Express) can change any step for any market for any October pay action.

I still doubt any raises for steps 1-9 for the October Step pay action. You will just move up a step and if you are already step 10, get 3%.

MAKAVELI

I agree, your "caveat" would mean a 3% increase above the steps listed in the FY 16 step chart. I doubt they will decrease the amount per step from the FY16 step chart for the FY17 Step chart.

My "caveat", they (FedEx Express) can change any step for any market for any October pay action.

I still doubt any raises for steps 1-9 for the October Step pay action. You will just move up a step and if you are already step 10, get 3%.
There is nothing stating that the steps would stay the same or increase every year. I'm just saying I would be surprised if they stay the same or increased but wouldn't be surprised if they lowered the steps.

vantexan

Isn't the moving up a step your raise?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

If those already in Step 10 get a raise, then it becomes Step 11. Then entire process then becomes an escalator ride that never ends for anyone who isn't already topped out. Kinda defeats the purpose.

vantexan

If those already in Step 10 get a raise, then it becomes Step 11. Then entire process then becomes an escalator ride that never ends for anyone who isn't already topped out. Kinda defeats the purpose.
More likely that everyone goes through step process and once on step 10 you may or may not see an annual cost of living adjustment of 3%(or less).

Oldfart

Not hardly. Step 10 is still step 10. What in your opinion will step 10 be? Those in 9 will move to step 10 with 10 getting 3%. Those that are in 8 this year will move to 9 and next year will go into 10 which may or may not get 3% again next Oct.

Someone listed the raise amounts for topped out people a few pages ago. There is not 11 steps now.

Maui

This will be the steps based on 3% for Step 10
Couriers
step base b1 b2 b3 b4
9 25.31 26.54 27.83 29.08 30.36
10 27.08 28.43 29.79 31.14 32.50

Swing
step base b1 b2 b3 b4
9 27.41 28.78 30.17 31.53 32.89
10 29.31 30.78 32.25 33.71 35.17

There are no intermediate steps or step 11.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Not hardly. Step 10 is still step 10. What in your opinion will step 10 be? Those in 9 will move to step 10 with 10 getting 3%. Those that are in 8 this year will move to 9 and next year will go into 10 which may or may not get 3% again next Oct.

Someone listed the raise amounts for topped out people a few pages ago. There is not 11 steps now.
If you have two levels of pay in step 10 (step 9 upgrades AND step 10+3%) what's the difference between that two distinct levels? Unless there is an (un)official Step 11, then EVERYONE going to Step 10 should make the same payrate.
Reading comprehension is again your sixth grade downfall. I said if there are two different pay rates at Step 10, you have a de facto Step 11.

vantexan

If you have two levels of pay in step 10 (step 9 upgrades AND step 10+3%) what's the difference between that two distinct levels? Unless there is an (un)official Step 11, then EVERYONE going to Step 10 should make the same payrate.
Reading comprehension is again your sixth grade downfall. I said if there are two different pay rates at Step 10, you have a de facto Step 11.
If you go from 9 to 10 then you get step 10 pay. The following year you get(maybe) a 3% raise. Others got a 3% raise the year before so you don't catch them. You just get a 3% COLA. Doesn't mean you're on "step 11" with all other topped out employees. You may be making the same as some but say you reach step 10 9 years from now. Other topped out employees have been getting that annual COLA for 5,6,...9 years already. So there's a whole string of different pay, depending on how long you've been topped out. Assuming they give annual increases. So there's no step 11 that everyone is on. And with all the groaning, if they do give an annual 3% COLA to topped out employees it won't take too long before topped out employees are being paid over $30hr.

If step 10 is increased by 3% annually then eventually you'll see a huge jump from 9 to 10. Someone on Step 1 now isn't going to see a 30%+ jump 9 years from now which with compounding would happen if step 10 is increased every year.

Last edited:

Oldfart

Everyone going to 10 ARE making the same pay. Those that are at 10 NOW get a 3% raise. Those that are presently at 9 jump to 10 PLUS the 3% raise.

It isn't that hard to understand. Well, except for you.

You are de facto illiterate.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Everyone going to 10 ARE making the same pay. Those that are at 10 NOW get a 3% raise. Those that are presently at 9 jump to 10 PLUS the 3% raise.

It isn't that hard to understand. Well, except for you.

You are de facto illiterate.
Funny that you call him illiterate, then use the incorrect "everyone are". Might want to brush up on your grammar. Lol.

Oldfart

Here you go Fred. Lets make it easy for you.

Courier 1 is at step 9 NOW. He makes 25.31. He will jump to step 10, Step 10 presently makes 26.29. Step 10 is getting a 3% bump. He will go to 26.29 PLUS the 3% bump. He will now make 27.08.

Courier 2 is at step 10 NOW. He makes 26.29. He will get the same 3% bump and will now make 27.08. The same as courier 1.