100 OTR Feeder Drivers Fired

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I thought we only turned in the yellow copy if there was an issue?

Correct. But UPS is still making feeder drivers, or most anyway, turn in the yellow copy everyday whether there is a problem or not. The FMCSA changed the rules almost 2 years ago under the Paperwork Reduction Act, part of the Omnibus Spending Bill. They no longer require the yellow copy turned in if there are no defects.

UPS is still making feeder drivers turn them in.

The only time I heard about that policy was on this board.

Different areas almost always have different rules, even though we work for the same company.

Strictly speaking, if you're not getting the DVIRs, you don't really know (and can't prove) whether your vehicles are satisfactory or if your drivers are just not complying with the process. When you get a DVIR stating "Satisfactory" or otherwise, you DO know.

A no write up in the book is the same as checking off satisfactory. It is up to the driver to make sure he writes up any issues.

It may just be in small package but we have been told that we only need to turn in the yellow copy if there is an issue.

In most areas, package drivers no longer need to turn them in, but feeder drivers still need to turn them in per UPS. This is a UPS policy, not a DOT policy.

Is it possible that the package truck, I'm sorry the package CAR is not considered subject to DOT rules whereas the tractors definitely are?

A package car is subject to DOT policy, most, anyways.

If it is over 10,000 it is a commercial motor vehicle subject to all the rules and regulations of the FMCSA.

discharging in package for this for a looooooong time. Driver shows stops recorded during lunch...warning letter, notice of suspension then discharge....sometimes straight to discharge,,,,act of dishonesty.....FYI

ski or die

Ski or Die
discharging in package for this for a looooooong time. Driver shows stops recorded during lunch...warning letter, notice of suspension then discharge....sometimes straight to discharge,,,,act of dishonesty.....FYI
What if driver is at lunch in a rural area where he knows his customer and the customer comes into the restaurant and requests his package. Does he make the customer wait until his lunch hour is finished?

Rack em

Made the Podium
What if driver is at lunch in a rural area where he knows his customer and the customer comes into the restaurant and requests his package. Does he make the customer wait until his lunch hour is finished?
I would just get the guy his package and record the stop after lunch.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I think a driver getting a package out of his truck for a customer during lunch is a whole lot different than a driver being on route, driving and delivering during the time he coded out to lunch.

UPS should not have an issue with the former, but the later may get you disciplined.

Johney

How about this scenario, I'm on meal and parked in what I assumed was a nice spot, here comes Mr. shifter telling me I have to move....NOW! To move it will take me at least 5 to 10 minutes to find another place to park. I can't punch back in and start meal again as it's close to my pull time.

Johney

How about this scenario, I'm on meal and parked in what I assumed was a nice spot, here comes Mr. shifter telling me I have to move....NOW! To move it will take me at least 5 to 10 minutes to find another place to park. I can't punch back in and start meal again as it's close to my pull time.
This has happened to me on a couple of occasions with zero repercussions. I just moved and didn't go over the speed to kick me out of other work.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We got it so rough in feeders, I tell ya...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Depends on the customer.

I would just get the guy his package and record the stop after lunch.

You do realize that recording a package away from the stop would require a signature, don't you?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Why would team drivers need to stop the truck? Don't they just switch and roll like a 5 min piss break.

Because you have to take your 30 minute meal at the 8 hour mark, and most sleeper teams driver for 10 hours at a clip.

Dracula

What if a mileage driver got to work early, got his equipment all ready (pre-trip), and was sitting at the outbound gate at his start time then:

one minute after his start time he presses LV and departs.

What's this called?

Taking a chance with your job for no good reason. If management wants to make an isuue of it, you can be fired. Leaving one minute after your start time indicates you didn't pretrip, since it takes a lot more time than one minute. You're not supposed to work off the clock.

Dracula

Not here.

We do not get any extra time for pre-trip, post-trip or dropping and hooking. The time to do this is built into the mileage pay. We only get the actual mileage pay plus an extra .34 hours per day for 2 ten minute breaks.

So if we pre-trip before our scheduled start time, we are not doing it for free.

We do get extra pay for anything over and above the schedule. If we have to break the set down, build a set, fuel, road delay or sort delay, we do get paid hourly for that at time and a half.

Still working off the clock, which is prohibited.