2020 Presidential Updates

Box Ox

Release the Kraken!

In a recent civil fraud case, attorneys for the state of North Dakota said that Maras-Lindeman falsely claimed to be a medical doctor and to have both a PhD and an MBA. They said she used multiple aliases and social security numbers and created exaggerated online résumés as part of what they called “a persistent effort . . . to deceive others.”

Sidney Powell’s secret intelligence contractor witness is a pro-Trump podcaster

63594749.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That's not how defamation suits work. The defaming person or entity has to prove they've got the goods to back up what they're saying and aren't just causing unfounded harm to the reputation of the aggrieved party.

The plaintiff is just as responsible for proving the statements are untrue.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Never thought about it but since this is a civil case, I believe you're right ... I guess it comes down to the jury members.

Even in criminal cases, the burden of proof is on the prosecution. In a civil case the plaintiff has to make compelling enough claim to be able to file suit. Defamation requires a few criteria be met for a statement to be considered defamatory. You have to prove the statement was made by the plaintiff as a declaration of fact rather than a statement of opinion. You have to prove it hurt you. And you have to prove it was not true. If you can't do any one of those things, you have no standing, and there is no case. If you have evidence of all three, then it behooves the defendants to disprove any one of them, but truth is the ultimate defense.

I haven't seen the allegations, but I'd be willing to bet the lawyers would be able to prove that what they said wasn't declarative, but rather speculative, which is the difference of stating something as a fact vs as an opinion. Opinion would be considered protected speech in most cases. Both Rachel Maddow and Tucker Carlson had defamation suits against them thrown out by proving they were speaking hyperbolically and sarcastically with the clear intent of the statements not being taken literally. Even though Maddow used the words "literally" and "actually" in her statement.

Re-Raise

Even in criminal cases, the burden of proof is on the prosecution. In a civil case the plaintiff has to make compelling enough claim to be able to file suit. Defamation requires a few criteria be met for a statement to be considered defamatory. You have to prove the statement was made by the plaintiff as a declaration of fact rather than a statement of opinion. You have to prove it hurt you. And you have to prove it was not true. If you can't do any one of those things, you have no standing, and there is no case. If you have evidence of all three, then it behooves the defendants to disprove any one of them, but truth is the ultimate defense.

I haven't seen the allegations, but I'd be willing to bet the lawyers would be able to prove that what they said wasn't declarative, but rather speculative, which is the difference of stating something as a fact vs as an opinion. Opinion would be considered protected speech in most cases. Both Rachel Maddow and Tucker Carlson had defamation suits against them thrown out by proving they were speaking hyperbolically and sarcastically with the clear intent of the statements not being taken literally. Even though Maddow used the words "literally" and "actually" in her statement.
Bottom line it wasn’t true... but crazy people can say crazy sht

PT Car Washer

We should consider Fox News to be speculative at best?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Bottom line it wasn’t true... but crazy people can say crazy sht

All I've seen is a lot of he said she said. Aside from the one forensic audit report from the lawsuit in Michigan, or maybe Wisconsin (hard to keep them all straight), that concluded the machines were designed to flip votes. I wonder if the expert who made that report will get sued for defamation.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
All I've seen is a lot of he said she said. Aside from the one forensic audit report from the lawsuit in Michigan, or maybe Wisconsin (hard to keep them all straight), that concluded the machines were designed to flip votes. I wonder if the expert who made that report will get sued for defamation.
1609007629223.png

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

I'm sorry if facts frighten and anger you. I forgive you for lashing out.

20201226_111135.png

This was admitted as evidence in the court of law. It is the only expert report I've seen about the issue. Everything else, both for and against the machines, has been declarative claims with no proof to substantiate. I'm not attesting to the veracity or accuracy of this report. The judge did, however, see the value in allowing it to be admitted to the record as evidence, and allowed it to be released to the public. I guess that makes the judge a tin foil hat wearing person in your eyes as well.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Here's a thought to ponder.....

If there are a handful of improper votes, we can suggest that there was in fact an election, perhaps tainted, but the election wasn't materially harmed. But when the people charged with managing the election decide to ignore the law, whatever process they supervise is not the process defined by the law. Therefore, it is not an election.

This leaves V.P. Pence with a dilemma. He is a gentleman who regards our governmental traditions with a degree of reverence, so he will be reluctant to take any bold action. But as an honorable man, faced with massive illegality, he must act to protect the law.