A win for FedEx Freight drivers!

M I Indy

The difference isn't between my drivers and an express driver. The difference is between my role and one of an express ops manager. Those roles are dramatically different. I run a company handling everything. They plan routes by following some software handed down by corporate.
If your last dealings with Ground were under the IC model then you are out of date. Things are different now. I have total control over operations. Ground gets the boxes to me, I handle the rest.
No one is accusing postal workers of being FedEx employees since they deliver smart post boxes. It's a similar relationship. Ground gets them the boxes, they deliver them.

Thanks for explaining, it is so clear now, so you have "total" control of operations. When was the last time you hired a driver without X approval? What peek season did you decide your "operation" wouldn't deliver certain days? Absolutely correct about postal workers, since they have another customer, the post office, they carry different packages from other "customers", your "operation" only carries packages from one "customer". When the postal worker delivers those smart post boxes, what is the logo tattooed all over their vehicle. Meanwhile your "operation" vehicles must be tattooed with excessively large logos from your one and only "customer". Try running your "operation" without the mandatory scanner. Use one that fits your needs, that has your software, and tell your "customer" that you will update them at the end of the day. Like to see how that would go over. Yeah, you have "total" control. I agree, I am out of date, and you are a "supervisor". Too bad you don't know what you are.

bbsam

Staff member
Are you seriously saying that if a UPS HR rep were to call tomorrow morning and offer any of your drivers a permanent position that every one of them would say "Thanks, but no thanks. We have bought in to this system and are very content."
I am saying two things.

First, every one of my drivers knows that UPS and FedEx have been in a hiring frenzy.

Second, my drivers are not ignorant to the vastly increased work-load and management created stress they would be stepping into.

So yeah, they might not love me but they're not all that into you either.;)

It will be fine

Thanks for explaining, it is so clear now, so you have "total" control of operations. When was the last time you hired a driver without X approval? What peek season did you decide your "operation" wouldn't deliver certain days? Absolutely correct about postal workers, since they have another customer, the post office, they carry different packages from other "customers", your "operation" only carries packages from one "customer". When the postal worker delivers those smart post boxes, what is the logo tattooed all over their vehicle. Meanwhile your "operation" vehicles must be tattooed with excessively large logos from your one and only "customer". Try running your "operation" without the mandatory scanner. Use one that fits your needs, that has your software, and tell your "customer" that you will update them at the end of the day. Like to see how that would go over. Yeah, you have "total" control. I agree, I am out of date, and you are a "supervisor". Too bad you don't know what you are.

This peak season I will decide how many trucks go out on what days, and how many stops will be on each.
All my drivers meet standards that I agree with. Some experience and a clean drug test and background check.
My vehicles don't all have logos.
I would like access to the scanner software code, but your argument about that is pretty silly. Timely information transmission is important in this industry.
My title is president not supervisor.

Keep trying to bring down my business. I'm sure that's a worthwhile use of your time.

M I Indy

This peak season I will decide how many trucks go out on what days, and how many stops will be on each.
All my drivers meet standards that I agree with. Some experience and a clean drug test and background check.
My vehicles don't all have logos.
I would like access to the scanner software code, but your argument about that is pretty silly. Timely information transmission is important in this industry.
My title is president not supervisor.

Keep trying to bring down my business. I'm sure that's a worthwhile use of your time.

Can't fix ..... $!^%!). Make sure time cards are handy when IRS audits your start up biz.

Anthonysg0113

They've hired so many drivers this year at my center, that they have already eclipsed two off the street drivers. The express part of FedEx has their chops up, ground is another story. An Orion sup told me that they will have to combine eventually. I mean we do everything ground, air, intl., hazmat, etc...

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Tell it to the courts and FedEx. They seem to think it's different.
Yeah they seem to think it's different alright with a little help from Fred's wallet.

Fred's money seems to have buffaloed a lot of people in DC and in the courts.

bbsam

Staff member
Yeah they seem to think it's different alright with a little help from Fred's wallet.

Fred's money seems to have buffaloed a lot of people in DC and in the courts.
Don't be so narrow minded. It's more than just Fred's. Massive segments of the economy structure themselves like this for exactly the same reason as Fred.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Don't be so narrow minded. It's more than just Fred's. Massive segments of the economy structure themselves like this for exactly the same reason as Fred.
There's nothing narrow minded about it. I only care about how this all pertains to FedEx not to Nick & Larry's National Truck lines.

overflowed

I'm curious why the thread I created about this topic in the ups forum was moved back and merged with this forum? I specifically wanted UPS workers to know about this and talk about it among themselves.

M I Indy

With as much effect as the super secret Express organizing meetings that have been going on for the past 18 months.

Please enlighten us to your effectiveness over the years that you have hung here, all your driver retention movements, etc. and how they have had "incredible" impact. Please expound on the "massive" segments of the economy, another one of your deep fact finding statements, hurry, another one should be falling out the sky for you any second . Only massive segment is the air between your ears. You go dispatch your Mom and Pop shop corporation, I'll be making the day count, and "We'll see".