Ac in pkg car

JustDeliverIt

What are you willing to give up ?

This is the problem. Company will want us to give up half our raises for the entire next contract to put a/c in, doesn't matter if it works or not.

There have been a good list of easy design things to do already. Pick a few of those (exhaust fan, better ventilation and solid white roof IMO) and initiate those changes.

This is the problem. Company will want us to give up half our raises for the entire next contract to put a/c in, doesn't matter if it works or not.

There have been a good list of easy design things to do already. Pick a few of those (exhaust fan, better ventilation and solid white roof IMO) and initiate those changes.
Or maybe just get us out of the building a little earlier...

Sorry that's a crazy thought

RDL

You won't be doing many stops with all those miles.
If the nearest bathroom is 50 miles away, it sounds like the only stop on your route with a public toilet is your hub. Dudes with routes like these generally keep a roll of TP in their PC and S* in DR bags. These routes are usually bid on by guys in the twilight of their careers who can’t be bothered to be SPORH warriors. They know the tricks of the trade.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
AC would be nice, but in Ohio we only had a few days a year when it was brutally hot and it is the humidity, more than the temp. A simple fan blowing on your face helps immensely. I had one once and it really is all that was needed. But changed trucks and couldnt get one installed. I felt alot more professional when A fan could cool my face, so I was not dripping going in businesses. I cant imagine in hotter climates not having at least that. Mid day when I was in an outta the way area, I would open all doors drive to the main road and blow the heat out of the cargo area, that helped immensely. We had a 3 day heatwave, and the news sounded like we are all going to die. I am no longer a driver, but heat and cold were always an issue, a few days out of the year...but it was 90 yesterday, its 65 now. vents and fans at least..if not air.

AC would be nice, but in Ohio we only had a few days a year when it was brutally hot and it is the humidity, more than the temp. A simple fan blowing on your face helps immensely. I had one once and it really is all that was needed. But changed trucks and couldnt get one installed. I felt alot more professional when A fan could cool my face, so I was not dripping going in businesses. I cant imagine in hotter climates not having at least that. Mid day when I was in an outta the way area, I would open all doors drive to the main road and blow the heat out of the cargo area, that helped immensely. We had a 3 day heatwave, and the news sounded like we are all going to die. I am no longer a driver, but heat and cold were always an issue, a few days out of the year...but it was 90 yesterday, its 65 now. vents and fans at least..if not air.
There has to be an economical solution that works for both sides. When it's that hot in the back of the truck it's very hard to be productive

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
There has to be an economical solution that works for both sides. When it's that hot in the back of the truck it's very hard to be productive
Oh I agree. The news piece showed 152 in back, I had a thermometer at 140. It is miserable...But nothing will ever be done, because it doesnt last. The humane thing would be, vents in back, leave doors open once in a while, decrease the paid day, and increase rest breaks, and put a darn fan in the cab, if ac is too much. They do nothing. Water at end of day, thanks...I also agree the 107 injuries is false, because people are afraid to say they got sick. Fear of retaliation. They need to throw the sporh out the door, load the trucks with less stops. work everyone and get people off the road. For a few days....But places known for heat more than a couple days in a couple months, they definetely need to do something.

Oh I agree. The news piece showed 152 in back, I had a thermometer at 140. It is miserable...But nothing will ever be done, because it doesnt last. The humane thing would be, vents in back, leave doors open once in a while, decrease the paid day, and increase rest breaks, and put a darn fan in the cab, if ac is too much. They do nothing. Water at end of day, thanks...I also agree the 107 injuries is false, because people are afraid to say they got sick. Fear of retaliation. They need to throw the sporh out the door, load the trucks with less stops. work everyone and get people off the road. For a few days....But places known for heat more than a couple days in a couple months, they definetely need to do something.
We had a couple of drivers go to the hospital last week. That 107 number is way off
The short term cost of putting Dan's and vents in would help with production
On those bad days. Nobody looks a t the big picture.
I have a couple of heavy pick ups and last week I had to step out of the truck a few times. You can't take that heat spend 15 minutes loading up a truck in that kind of heat

RDL

Mid day when I was in an outta the way area, I would open all doors drive to the main road and blow the heat out of the cargo area, that helped immensely.
It’s a shame we can’t do that anymore because of having to hear it from your ORS the next morning after taddle-telematics told on you.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
we had it then, when I drove, I simply did what was best for me. I never cared what they said the next day. It is brutal and when I see a driver running and its 90, I want to tell them to stop. You can only drink so much water...you need to take care of your heart. I always took a cooler of ice, and doused myself all day. Not professional, but life saving. Pulse points with an ice rag, cool the blood.

RDL

Would you believe that I have covered some routes and it wound up that the package car I was using did, in fact, have A/C? Granted, these routes were usually the more plum ones that had to have been run by drivers with some pull around here, so maybe that’s the answer...

we had it then, when I drove, I simply did what was best for me. I never cared what they said the next day. It is brutal and when I see a driver running and its 90, I want to tell them to stop. You can only drink so much water...you need to take care of your heart. I always took a cooler of ice, and doused myself all day. Not professional, but life saving. Pulse points with an ice rag, cool the blood.
I also buy a bag of ice all of the time. It makes a big difference.

RDL

I completely agree, but many drivers fear popping up on mgmt’s radar because it’s a certain way into their crosshairs. Plus, if they really have it out for you, they can use the occurrences as ammo to build a case towards your termination for safety violations and whatnot. And yeah, I’m familiar with all the procedural that follows that but it’s all just a load of grief. Most of us just wanna clock and walk.