Archives

A

anonymous

The legal department has every right to put a stop to this! Anybody could watch when a driver is making daily pickups. (this is generally performed like clockwork) Buy a UPS uniform off of EBAY. Then rent a van telling the UPS customer that either the driver is sick today or was busy and that is why he/she was dispatched to pickup early. UPS must maintain total control of the "browns".

R

roger

I've sold UPS memorabilia on eBay a few times in the past year. I sold off a few of those little planes and clocks and things that I've accumulated over the years. If UPS gives drivers their uniforms and they no longer need them then they should be able to sell them if they want to.

What's the harm?

C

chris

I give my old uniforms to a local charity for their thrift store. The same thing could be happening there since criminals probably shop at thrift stores to.

There are all kinds of uniforms there so UPS isn't the only one that has this concern. There were sheriff uniforms there last time I looked through the racks.

U

upsco

Employee's who sell uniforms on Ebay or donate the uniforms to charity are stealing from UPS and should be fired. The uniforms are not the property of the employee, they are the property of UPS. Why not sell "your" DIAD? Why not sell "your" two-wheeler? Because they are UPS property, just like "your" uniform. I thought employee's had to turn in old uniforms to get new uniforms? I understand that some items (sweaters, rain coats) can be purchased by an employee, but basic uniform items are UPS property.

B

brown29

To Automotive Manager

I have heard this rumor on many occasions. Maybe it is just wishful thinkig on my part as my age and years of service equal 82 so I could go. I am interested in hearing where you heard the renewed rumor and how reliable your source is. I hope indeed you're right. Let me hear from you.

A

automotive

The fellow that told me this is a manager in the Finance department. He was at a meeting and heard it through the grapevine so it wasn't anything official.

I would have thought that there must have been enough middle managers that "retired" after the IPO but I guess there is still some concern about an excess of managers in some areas.

Wall Street always likes to hear that a company is staying lean and mean so a buyout would probably be a plus for the stock. We'll have to wait and see what they do.

B

brown29

Has anyone else heard anything on this?? Sounds too good to be true!!!

N

nj

In our center all you have to do is ask for new pants or whatever. We've never been asked to turn in the old uniform.

A

anonymous

Yes we had to buy shirts in the 60.s .In the 1990s it started out if we wanted shorts we had to buy them,also we had to pay for shocks in order to wear shorts.Jackets were gave to 20 and 25 year safe drivers.

W

will

This rumor has been going around our district for at least a year. I don't know if it has any truth to it at all but it sure has been spread around. The interesting thing is that the magic number is always 80 but the other details change a bit. Some say there will be a lump of cash to entice retirement and some say there will be enhanced benefits.

E

exonumia

Ten years ago, when I "retired" the rumor had the combined service and age at 75. I was at a combined total of 71 at the time but didn't wait for that to come true. Good thing!!! Some rumors never die. They just change a bit!

B

blinky

A HR manager told me the same rumor, but he also told me that it was a rumor. He said that he thought that they were waiting to see what the final reduction of managers will be from the IPO.

From what he understood not as many have resigned after the IPO as they planned for.

F

frank

The effects of "early retirement" by management after the IPO will be spread out over the next several years. There is no way that the planned turnover rate has not yet been met. It is way too early to know how many will leave earlier than they would have pre IPO. The company benefits from the gradual attrition of management leaving, not from a mass exodus and many of the more sophisticated managers are well aware of this.

Wall Street will reward UPS for improving management efficiency by paring down the numbers managing while increasing the net efficiency of those that stay. Over the next 5 years many of the older managers will "resign" because of increased net worth and financial security. This can be a real positive if it happens in an orderly way. The numbers of managers can be reduced and new blood can be infused into our framework. The limited upward mobility that has effected many areas the past several years was because of a glut of managers in the system. Now these managers will again be aware that there are positions available for them to be promoted into if they perform well.

We all benefit from a healthy turnover in management.

A

anonymous

There is absolutely no truth to this rumor.As a matter of fact Jim Kelly and Lea Soupata have said this on many occasions in meetings I have attended. There will be many retirements in the next 4 to 5 years as the baby boomers reach 55. This will and has caused a shortage of qualified people ready to move up and fill the vacancies.Below is the number of retirements by class eligible to retire. !5 Dist Mgrs. 200 Div Mgrs. 400 Center mgrs. ??? supvs. so you see there is no need for a buyout . Also if you look at the job openings board from corp. there are 100 to 200 job openings posted at any given time.

R

retired

This looks like an awareness problem. No one in the center I was in ever said anything about how to dispose of my old uniforms. If more information about the old uniform disposal policies was given to the drivers then the drivers wouldn't make these uniforms available to the public.

H

howard

I give what Jim Kelly says in meetings about as much credibility as he earned when he said UPS had no plans to go public.

Consider his level of sincerity when he decreed that retirees should have a mandatory sell back in the same year that UPS filed for the IPO. He had to know that the IPO was on the agenda but the and slicing away of the retirees piece of the pie certainly wasn't necessary. His number one concern certainly wasn't for his "partners" when he agreed to that decision.

If you think that you would get the real answer to a question that concerns an issue as complex as this one at a meeting then you are very niave. He wouldn't want to discourage those that are thinking of retiring without the new package.

R

rumorcentral

Wow,
The street can look at the retirements or buyouts or whatever UPS deems to call it as a leaner, meaner, FEDEX eater. Then our stock will plummet when the idiots figure out WHO WILL RUN BIG BROWN with all these retirements? Next on the agenda, competent help....or does that come before retirement? Glad I'm out.

R

rumorcentral

I saw the Fat Bastard wearing a uniform in the shagadelic Austin Powers movie. I suppose he worked for ups at one time and forgot to turn it in when he changed professions. But then again who could fit in that uniform?

J

jim

I retired from the region 10 years ago. At that time my region had a glut of people in management. In Customer Service (Business Development) we had more people in middle management than we knew what to do with. The number of positions at the bottom of the management structure is much more scalable than positions in the middle and top.

As a result we planned for good qualified people to be stuck in entry level positions because we were consolidating positions above them. We had to shuffle the people in the middle levels around because we had hoped to reduce their numbers but didn't want to demote people to accomplish it.

Our plan was a long term one, 10 years out. The company is very different now than it was when I left but I still talk with current managers and from what I hear the staffing is still running rich in the middle and top of the structure. I'll bet that there is still some restructuring ahead that will include consolidation of responsibilities and areas.

Restructuring management is a healthy move for UPS as they move to a more efficient management infrastructure. When I left there were just too many layers of managers to be efficient and that is still true today. The IPO will encourage some attrition but many middle aged managers will be more motivated by a benefits package than by a lump sum of cash.

We will have to wait and see what they do but I would bet that there are more management changes ahead.

P

pkg

All this talk about early retirement for managers is there anything out there about early retirement for teamsters?