Archives

L

larry

I have to agree that Kelly or Soupata would not comment on an early retirement package at a meeting. Besides, Lea Soupata doesn't know anything in general; never mind the company's mgt staffing status. Talk about a waste of a directors spot--(IMO). I think most of these rumor's are wishful thinking by folks hoping to walk.
Just look at this board--the same rumor has been discussed since December.

A

anonymous

I was injured on the job at UPS not too long ago.
The injury, after some time, was called in and I
was seen by a doctor. The supervisor who sent me to this doctor said to me half jokingly but
completely serious to not let him tell me to take
any time off. I had worked through the injury up until then because although it did bother me on a daily basis it was nothing I couldn't bare.
I didnt' take any time off and was sent back to
work and scheduled for a visit again a week later.
The doctor said that if in that week i'm not
feeling better, which he seriously doubted, then
he would have to tell me to take some time off for it to try to heal because rest would be the
only way for it to get better. After telling my
supervisors this I got the feeling that I was
being looked at in a bad way now because it would
inconvenience them to get someone else to do the
job I do on the preload since they are shorthanded. I can tell that there will be a
little bad blood for me taking some time off but if I ever want to heal I have no choice. My
question is should I worry about my job because of something like this? Or am I just paranoid? Also I have another job and if I take time off and collect workers comp am I also required to
take time off of that job?

P

pete

If you are really injured you should take the time that you need to heal. It's the unethical workers that fake injuries to get workers compensation that make it difficult for those of us that actually are injured to be taken seriously. I seriously doubt that your supervisor wants you to work if you are injured, he's probably just sick of watching people milk the worker's comp benefits.

D

doug

It's silly to worry about UPS uniforms being available on eBay. If anyone wanted to pretend to be a UPS employee all they have to do is get a pair of brown Dickies and a brown shirt. The signature color would be enough to pass it off. Rent yourself a Ryder truck and say that you're a utility driver. That's all there is to it, the uniform would just be icing on the cake. If a company has lax security the uniform isn't necessary.

M

mack

If you need to take time off to recover and you collect worker's compensation it is my understanding that you will have to take time off at your other job too. Consult your worker's comp representative for the official rules but if you claim to need to rest to recover from your injury then I would assume that you would want to take time off at your other job.

X

xbrown

Anonymous,
If you take off from UPS, then you probably have to take off from your other job unless your other job is an office position where no physical stuff is needed. You may have a tough time convincing your sup. of this. The Doctor gives the recomendation and only you have the final say to take time to heal. However, injury is injury and can lead to another injury because you are overcompensating with other parts of your body to help the injured part. Then you may be of NO use to them, which of course wouldn't be a problem because they have successfully weeded out the weak and feeble yet again (no knock on you).
Do what you need to do for your health. Forget trying to please your sup. In the end, who from UPS will remember -- or care? You are just one of 340,000.

A

anonymous

This post is to the Package driver wanting early retirement. You already have it after 25 years at any age in most plans. Oh yeah if you want something better maybe the company should have taken it over in 1997. Where were you when the strike occured ? probably on the line against it. DUH !Have you looked at your teamster leaders pension ? I hear they make more in retirement than working. That is if you dont count how much they steal from the rank and file.

W

web

An injured worker is an injured worker and a slacker is a slacker, sometimes its hard to tell the difference. There are plenty of peolpe with real injuries that are entitled to workers comp and there are plenty of slackers milking the comp benefits making it more difficult for the really injured people to get there benefits.

Take the time you need, your job will still be there when you are ready to go back if you have been honest about the situation.

G

ggggg

IN NYC WE HAD A FEW RAPES WHERE THE PERP. USED A UPS UNIFORM TO GAIN ENTRY....GGGGGG

A

anonymous

What is with this selling uniform parts. Apparently, some centers are not following UPS policy. Anytime we want a new uniform part(shirt,pants)we have to turn in the old part(s) with the order form. Only exception is winter coats in the winter. What gives? National needs to crack down on management for this problem. No way used uniform parts should be getting into the public domain.

T

tieguy

Unfortunately we who lead often fail to show the right compassion. We get caught up in being short handed then you walk in and say your hurt and will be gone for a while. The reaction is not personal against you its a human weakness on our part. Take the time ...heal up right so you dont have to worry about reinjuring yourself.

J

jared

There are catalogs that sell the shorts and polo shirts. This could be a source for criminals too.

X

xbrown

First visit here.
To Elliot Ness, wake up because not all employees are God fearing Christians. Maybe if you work in the midwest somewhere and jobs are scarce, will you see people pulling their weight and then some. Reality is that the large hubs have the slugs and they will find an excuse to upset the proverbial apple cart.
To old ups mgr., I like what you did to the 10.5 guy. I particularly like the disability and workers compers who say they can only work light duty. I remember a guy I had on disability (he was no more hurt than me or the next guy), came in on light duty and had him do inventory on all the nuts and bolts in our dept. Had him clean the bins and place the nuts and bolts in the bin in soldier fashion that a drill sargent would have been proud of. After 2 days he finished and was proud of his accomplishment and showed me what he had done. He asked for his next assignment. I praised him on this and asked him to do a recount because I noticed there were some bolts missing and unorganized from some of the bins. He came back to work full duty the next day.
Miracle cure.
Just thought I would share that with all. I also realize that you could NEVER get away with that stuff in todays work environment. That's why I left and enjoying life again.

R

retired

Lazy workers put the burden of their workload on their co workers. It is everyone's interest to either motivate the laggards to pull their weight in the operation or get rid of them.

One thing I'll never understand about the union is the way that they try to protect all workers regardless of their quality of work. The teamsters have no pride when it comes to workmanship, they treat them all the same regardless of the situation. Those of you that are working hard as union employees and investing your hard earned money back into UPS must see the inequity in the union's philosophy of protecting the lazy worker's job. It just shifts the work over to those that make more of an effort and yet you are all paid the same wage.

U

upsyours

You gotta be kidding me. You have a topic called 'Labor Issues' and it has a theme running through it about us lazy UPS workers, those of us who keep having our jobs saved by the Teamsters. You management people don't have the first clue about what your workers must be thinking, because obviously being honest with you would be impossible without retaliation. Hell, you suggest that we start 'getting rid' of each other, weeding out the 'slugs'.

My teamster coworkers labor under sometimes abusive conditions because of the prevailing management philosophy at UPS. I have never seen a 'lazy' worker at my UPS center, only workers slowed by injuries. Lazy workers don't make it past their '30 days' at UPS. Keep on 'dissing' our union. You don't understand the first thing about worker's solidarity and our resistance to being picked apart by the likes of you.

I'm now headed into work one of the newly created full time 'combo' jobs, made from combining 2 part time jobs. These jobs were won in our strike even if the company delayed for years before creating them. There are no simple issues between the Teamsters and UPS. Your simple analyses should be saved for someone who doesn't work at UPS. They might buy it.

M

me

The only way to beat them? This us against them attitude is perpetuated by the teamsters as a way to stir up a tribal loyalty in the ranks...get a clue...

A

anonymous

Perhaps you should go read the Teamster page. Seems out west, UPS has discarded the innocent till proven guilty clause of the contract. So the union issued a 72 hour strike notice,4/28/2000...suppose UPS is at the table now resolving the issue? Think one worker alone could force their hand to follow the contract? Tribable mentality...gimme a break!

A

anonymous

Check out the retirement topics...looks like management is bailing out of this great place to work. They are calling it resignment!! Well, happy retirement you guys , you definately earned it in management, from what I have read on boards about how UPS treats you guys too.

E

eyesopened

Well, if this "resignment" is very broad, we may see the problems the management buyout brought...mass loss of experience, which is never good for any organization.