Archives

T

thatoldwheel

Anyone file a workers compensation claim against UPS that was not contested by the company? I have not heard of any. In my state UPS is self insured. Reminds me of a movie I once saw. In that movie this insurance company had a Standard Operating Procedure, "Deny all claims".

U

upsdude

Now you know of one! UPS NEVER contested my injury. I know of many other cases in my center that UPS didn't contest either. I can't say that Liberty Mutual ever gave me a hard time either. I made sure that I spoke with the LM rep at least once a week, I also called or stopped by the center once a week. If you fail to keep in touch with LM they will cut off the money (you'll call them then!) Most of the cases (in my center) where employees have problems with UPS and or LM are due to vague or incomplete information provided by the employee. If you walk into the center at the end of the day and say "I think I hurt my back today, it started bothering me mid afternoon" you're going to have a fight on your hands collecting benefits. The way most states comp laws are written, you have to provide the date, time, and location of the injury or you're out in the cold. That can't be blamed on UPS or LM. If you are experiencing a problem with an insurance company (or if the employer is self insured) you should contact your states Insurance Commission or Insurance Regulator, they can and will help you.

T

thatoldwheel

Good to hear! All I have heard was negative and sarcastic remarks. I knew UPS somewhere is doing right by their employees. That is so important.

H

hr

Has UPS ever thought about letting employees jumpseat? I found this in Fortune Magazine:

You might not think of FedEx as a travel company, but perhaps the most popular perk is "jump-seating"--a practice allowing employees to hitch an unlimited number of free rides anywhere in the world that FedEx flies. Last year employees took 132,000 such trips. The Queen of the Jump Seat is Fatemeh Ashraf, a service agent in San Francisco. She has logged over one million miles in her 11 years with the company. An Iranian immigrant, she typically flies to keep in touch with her far-flung family throughout the world. She also enjoys the view from the cockpit, where jump-seaters normally sit. The best sunset: Alaska; best sunrise: Fiji. She's well loved by the pilots, for whom she always brings a batch of home-baked cookies.

M

markbell

FedEx may revise ride-along program to comply with FAA

By Richard Thompson
[email protected]

Changes could be forthcoming to Memphis-based FedEx Corp.'s popular jumpseat program, which has been a bone of contention for the company's pilots for more than 25 years.

The sore spot: jumpseaters in the cockpit.

For years, FedEx Express pilots have complained about FedEx's practice of booking employees who aren't pilots to jumpseat, or ride in, the cockpit of some of its aircraft. It's an issue of safety, according to the pilots.

Although federal regulations give the captain (also known as the pilot in charge, or PIC)the absolute authority to regulate cockpit access, FedEx Express pilots say their authority has been compromised because of a "cloud of potential discipline" at the overnight air express unit. If the jumpseater isn't allowed into the cockpit, then disciplinary procedures against the pilot could follow, said the FedEx Pilots Association (FPA), the pilot's union.

FedEx denies compromising pilot authority but maintains that the pilot is subject to disciplinary actions only if that authority and discretion is abused.

Since 1975, FedEx said, it has had the "blessing" of the Federal Aviation Administration to operate its jumpseat program this way, even though all air carriers must follow the same rules.

However, a July 17 interpretation letter from the FAA - which the union requested last fall - reaffirmed the pilot's authority and clarified FedEx's belief, which in reality was a misunderstanding of the rules.

The FAA's letter says FedEx's jumpseat program turns the captain into a middleman who must second-guess his employer's decision and then potentially face disciplinary action by that same employer if it disagrees with his decision. In that case, the pilot's authority is compromised.

The FAA states, "the PIC has unfettered authority to deny permission," even if an air carrier authorizes nonflight crew members to ride on cockpit jumpseats.

FedEx is not violating the law, but it could face action from the FAA if the disciplinary proceedings against the pilots continue in the future.

"The company's position is that the union is somehow taking away a benefit from the employees," said Capt. David Webb, the FPA's president. "Our position is that the benefit (jumpseating in the cockpit) never existed."

Federal regulations outline who can ride in the cockpit, and they exclude persons like accountants, salespersons or even VIPs who aren't involved in the operation of the flight and don't have the pilot's permission to be there.

In light of the FAA's interpretation, FedEx spokesman Greg Rossiter said the company is now looking for ways to maximize jumpseating for its employees while still complying with the regulations.

In other words, change is ahead for the jumpseat program.

It's a wildly popular perk for employees of FedEx Corp., the holding company, and the airline unit, FedEx Express.

FedEx doesn't book jumpseaters in the cockpits of its MD11s, Airbus A300s or Airbus A310s. But jumpseaters are always booked inside of the cockpits of the Boeing 727s because that's where the only jumpseats are located. FedEx has 147 Boeing 727s in its fleet.

Incidents involving non-flight employees in the cockpit have occurred, although neither the FPA nor FedEx could say how many.

In its July newsletter, the FPA does cite several examples, including one in which a jumpseater left his seat, disarmed and opened a door while an engine was running. He was later disciplined.

R

retired

Management is a great career, but if you plan to have a family make sure that you make them your top priority and that they are willing to relocate. I have grown children and a wife that suffered through several relocations for the sake of my job. My children have never complained but I feel that I sacrificed their childhood opportunity to have roots in a community by making corporate ladder climbing my top priority. Have a great career but don't forget to have a really great life first.

L

legs

This is the way that I always say to anyone that I know that is at this fork in the road:

What do you want to be doing at 40? how about 50? 60?

Sometimes people need to look further down the road to see which way to go.

M

my2cents

End of the Route
I Ran the Postal Service; it Should be Privatized

By William J. Henderson

Sunday, September 2, 2001; Page B01

Not long ago, it would have been unimaginable. But last week, under the terms of a $7.2 billion contract, FedEx began carrying and helping to sort some first-class, priority and express mail for the U.S. Postal Service.

While having contracts with private companies is nothing new (airlines have tossed sacks of mail into their cargo holds for as long as they've been flying), the deal with FedEx, the Postal Service's traditional competitor, is a major step forward in the Postal Service's increasing collaboration with private business. The most visible sign of that collaboration, and the symbol of the extent to which the Postal Service is rethinking business as usual, are the distinctive FedEx drop boxes that began appearing at neighborhood post offices last spring.

As the postmaster general until I retired three months ago, I oversaw the negotiation of the FedEx deal. And I continue to see it as an innovative solution for a Postal Service struggling to remain competitive under market conditions that have changed strikingly over the past decade. But such alliances with private business don't go nearly far enough.

What the Postal Service needs now is nothing short of privatization.

And while I've said in the past that privatization is inevitable, I'm saying now that it's something that must be done.

Privatization may seem far-fetched, but it's not. For all intents and purposes, the U.S. Postal Serviceis already a $65 billion corporation. It is the only government structure organized along corporate lines. It has a board of directors. It is concerned with profit and loss. It is the only government agency I know of that publishes a profit and loss statement for public consumption. And like any corporation, all of the Postal Service's operating revenue comes from its customers.

There's a misconception that the Postal Service gets a huge appropriation from Congress every year. In fact, it is no longer a ward of the U.S. Treasury and the taxpayer; it hasn't received tax dollars for its operating expenses since 1983. The only federal funding it gets -- and this represents a tiny fraction, less than 1 percent, of its budget -- pays for services rendered to the government in two ways: first, providing free mailing services for the blind, as required by law; and second, Congress's own franking privileges.

"We're acting like a real business because we are a real business," Deputy Postmaster General John Nolan told this newspaper in June.

But for all the ways in which the Postal Service already resembles a private company, it lacks the advantages of any other corporation, such as being able to turn on a dime when it comes to rate changes, perhaps raising prices at times of high demand and lowering prices to entice customers during traditionally slow times, which for the Postal Service means summer. Today, a price change requires the permission of the Postal Rate Commission -- a yearlong process.

And unlike a private company, the Postal Service has a universal service obligation, meaning it must deliver everywhere, six days a week, at a regularly scheduled time, making the delivery even for a single piece of mail, which is not cost-effective. And it means delivering in the Grand Canyon and in rural Alaska and in high-risk neighborhoods and lots of other places where delivery is not cost-effective.

The trade-off is that the Postal Service gets monopoly protection; no private company is allowed to compete with it head to head by carrying letter mail or using the mailbox. It should give up that protection for the greater benefits of privatization.

Exactly how the Postal Service should be privatized is a public-policy question, and I'm not suggesting we should simply sell the whole thing to the highest bidder. One possibility is for it to be largely publicly owned -- even if the government has a "golden share," a means by which it would retain some decision-making authority in the corporate structure without owning it.

But the best option, it seems to me, would be an employee-owned Postal Service using an ESOP, an employee stock-ownership plan, which would motivate workers by allocating stock to them over time. Postal employees would benefit most and would work hardest if they owned the company, in much the same way that employees of Delta Airlines own theirs. In an employee-owned postal company, raises would be based on stock value. And as the company grew in value, employee wealth would grow as well.

How the monopoly would be phased out -- whether it would happen everywhere, and whether it would be phased out gradually -- would also have to be hammered out in public debate. As a matter of public policy, the government can't and won't allow an end to its universal service obligation. We can't end up having remote areas or the inner cities grossly overcharged for the delivery of goods. The cost of meeting that obligation will have to be built into the rates. But I firmly believe this can be accomplished, because a company freed from the current constraints will be able to raise enough revenue to continue to deliver mail to all its customers -- and be successful.

And what about those rates? Would they rise under privatization? Not necessarily. They might even go down. Under the current system, the postal system makes money in the fall and winter. And it loses money each summer. With flexibility, it could do what it takes to make money in the summer, like lowering prices. It could also raise prices during the peak -- from September through February. But lowering prices during the lull would be a more prudent business decision.

However radical the idea of privatizing the national postal service may seem to many Americans, it's a concept the rest of the world has been taking seriously for years. That became clear to me when I was the Postal Service's chief operating officer in the mid-1990s, when postal administrations in New Zealand, the Netherlands, Germany, Ireland, Britain, France and Canada wereconsidering restructuring how they did business. Some have since commercialized -- that is, they have become companies wholly owned by the government. The Dutch and the Germans have opted for outright privatization, an option that every other postal service in the industrialized world is considering. In an interesting twist on the public-private debate, the privatized Deutsche Post is now the majority shareholder of DHL, the international shipping company. Deutsche Post also owns the largest bank in Germany in addition to its express-mail business and a regular-mail business. Although the geographic and demographic challenges those systems face are very different from our own, I believe they provide powerful models for change.

Persuading the postal workers' unions that privatization is a good thing won't be easy. But even there I see encouraging changes. Ten years ago, the rank and file viewed privatization as a failure of management. Today it's seen more as a natural outcome of a changing marketplace. Postal workers understand far better today than a decade ago that competition -- from great companies like UPS and FedEx, and from e-mail and telemarketing -- is a fact of life. Just like you, they see the brown truck and the FedEx truck everywhere, and they have adapted. As a result, there is much less of a culture of entitlement than before. Employees know the organization must make changes to survive.

Ultimately, if privatization is to take place, it will need the support of President Bush, who should see the move for what it is -- fiscally prudent. The Postal Service's "market capitalization" -- that is, its total value at current market prices if it were a publicly traded company -- is probably between $65 billion and $100 billion, an all-time high. That figure is likely to dwindle over the next few years as competition increases further.

I can't believe that 25 years from now the Postal Service will still be owned by the federal government. But the point is that, as with any government asset, this one needs to be maximized. And that means we need to free ourselves from the usual discussion about controlling costs or keeping rates stable or mailing more, all of which is simply a form of denial about the real issue. The model itself is not going to work for the long haul: It must be changed.

William Henderson was the U.S. postmaster general from 1998 to 2001.

© 2001 The Washington Post Company

E

eyeofdrtj_eckle

Is it possible that if UPS spent its resources improving its processes, instead of litigating , it could outperform all of the competition ?

A

airwalk

I pickup my car preloaded at 8:15 am then i drive about 40 miles to a remote town and do about 20 dlv and 20 pickups, but before i reach that town i do about 20 dlv in small towns on the way, then i drive the 40 miles back to our center to unload the pickups at 5 pm. since i have about 2½ hours in just driving time things can get really stressed up, Were usually 3 cars in that town but we have been cut down to 2, wich give us about 5-7 NDA each day wich are labeled "Plan to fail" by the management.

N

nothappy

how do i go about handeling management they are making things pretty bad they try to intimidate me and when they have a problem with me they dont comunicate with me just because ive filed a few grievences now they watch me like a hawk and have people follow me What can i do

S

seahorse1

How about doing your job? I know there may be exceptions (there are to every situation), however, it has been my experience that "most" folks bring on their own heat. Do you really think that anyone in management has the time to spare to just single you out and bother you?

J

jbul_ups

Been there, lived it, survived...one boss gone(resign or be fired)..one boss demoted...one boss with a new outlook on life...hang tough Nothappy...do your job to the best of your ability...and file harassment grievance...good luck Brother..

S

seahorse1

J-bull....you management slayer you....you need to send out resumes for CEO positions with your proven track record of corporate kills....I see big things in your future!!! LMAO @ U

J

jbul_ups

LMAO at them.

They ignored the law, for awhile....

He who laughs last, laughs heartily.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

O

ontheups

Did I get screwed?

I was a part time employee since 10/90. I got a full time job in 10/99. UPS was ordered by an arbitrator to create 2,000 jobs and pay them back pay and their seniority date reverts back to 8/98 even though ups created jobs in 11/99. So to sum it up...why is someone who was part time for 7 years making more $ than me...have more seniority than me...and got a big back pay check. Wasn't that my job they created a little too late?

N

nothappy

I really do my job. the union is helping me and if i was doing something wrong then they would let me know . Management seems to have a comunication problem . And yes our management seems to have a lot of time on their hands. im not the only one their singleing out. but it makes it hard to work their sometimes. they like to intimidate people. the sad thing is i really like working their. i just dont know how long i can put up with this.

D

dannyboy

It is worse in some areas of the country than others. I have worked for many real sadistic idiots, and have worked for some that were just trying to move up. Then I have worked for some that treated the drivers like the hard working humans they are. Problem with the last group is that you have some drivers that will take advantage of the situation to try and get by with all sorts of crap.

When it got bad, I kept reminding myself that I work for UPS, not Joe Blowhard. They come and go. I have worked for so many in the last 28 years that I can't remember most of their names.

SO hang tough, and work on a buddy system if you can. I have found that this works well. Management likes to single out drivers. If you can stick together in your building it helps.
d