Archives

N

nothappy

Thanks Danny I hope it gets better. Do you think that maybe their doing this because im a woman .Their trying to see how far they can go.Im in feeders so maybe when i get a bid job they will leave me alone. I hope Thanks for the insight of how management is.

M

my2cents

Oklahoma becomes right-to-work state
2001-09-25
By John Greiner
Capitol Bureau

Oklahoma became a right-to-work state Tuesday.
With all 2,187 precincts reporting, State Question 695 on right to work won with 54 percent of the vote, according to unofficial returns from the state Election Board.

The proposal jumped ahead early and continued to hold onto 53 percent to 54 percent of the vote throughout the night.

Right to work passed, 447,072 to 378,465.

The election was a rematch of one held 37 years ago when Oklahomans defeated a right-to-work proposal.

Proponents who gathered Tuesday night at the Myriad Convention Center in Oklahoma City punctuated each report of the vote with cheers.

"We are a right-to-work state. We are open for business," Gov. Frank Keating said.

Keating told the crowd that Jim Curry, president of the state AFL-CIO, had called to concede.

The crowd then chanted, "Freedom, freedom, freedom."

Keating said, "I told Jim this was a victory for Oklahoma, and we are going to sit down next and work out together how we can come together."

At the opponents' watch party, the room got quiet when Curry announced that he had called the governor and conceded the election. "This is a setback. This is just the start of a movement for working men and women," Curry said. "We lost a fight, but we won't stop working for what we believe in."

Lt. Gov. Mary Fallin, a right-to-work proponent, said, "This is a defining moment in Oklahoma history. We'll be sending the rest of the nation a positive message. I've had calls today from companies that said, 'Call us tonight if it passes.'"

U.S. Sen. Don Nickles, R-Ponca City, said: "This is a great victory for personal freedom. Finally, those who earn the paychecks can decide for themselves whether they want to pay agency fees or not."

Nickles said the right-to-work victory is good news for the state's economic future.

"We have joined our neighboring states in passing right to work, and it will make Oklahoma more competitive in attracting good-paying jobs," Nickles said.

State Question 695 would place right-to-work language in the Oklahoma Constitution.

Right to work would prohibit requiring an employee to pay dues or a bargaining service fee to a union as a condition of employment. Federal law requires a union to represent a worker even if the employee is not a dues-paying member.

Right to work will not affect current union contracts until they are again negotiated, Nate Webb, spokesman for the pro right-to-work group, said.

Tuesday's election victory makes Oklahoma the 22nd state to adopt right to work. Idaho was the last state to adopt it, in 1986.

Keating made right to work one of his administration's goals. He was active in the campaign for right to work, along with chambers of commerce and businesses.

Proponents called right to work an issue of freedom and economic development.

Keating and others said Oklahoma would be rejected by industries if the state didn't adopt right to work. They said passage of right to work would lead to more businesses and industries coming to Oklahoma, bringing more jobs and better wages.

Keating and other proponents said Oklahoma needs right to work even though more than 92 percent of the Oklahoma work force is nonunion.

Opponents got into the campaign later than the other side, but hammered away with their theme that right to work would mean lower wages and benefits, particularly health care benefits.

They used teachers, firefighters and small business owners to attempt to drive home their point. They said right to work is not a high priority issue with businesses and industries looking to locate in Oklahoma.

Mike Clingman, secretary of the state Election Board, predicted that voter turnout would be around 800,000.

More than 800,000 voted.

Special elections generally have low voter turnouts. Right-to-work proponents pushed hard to get more people to the polls.

They used Keating in a commercial calling for Oklahomans to vote, regardless of their stance on right to work. The commercial alluded to the terrorist attacks in America this month.

"Americans have always risen up from tragedy and gained strength. In the wake of the tragedy, a great people remembers the past and takes action for the future," Keating said in the commercial. "One of the great freedoms in democracy is the freedom to vote."

He went on to say he is voting for right to work, State Question 695, "but what matters most is you vote next Tuesday. Strike a vote for freedom."

Right to work last was on an Oklahoma election ballot in 1964 when it appeared during the primary election. Oklahomans rejected it.

The issue has been presented to the Democratic-dominated Legislature often during the past several years but it always was sidetracked.

Last session, Senate leader Stratton Taylor, D-Claremore, assigned the right-to-work proposal to a committee friendly to the issue. The committee easily passed it. The proposal then passed the Senate and the House, paving the way for Tuesday's election.

CONTRIBUTING: Tom Lindley and Diane Plumberg Clay in the Capitol Bureau.

R

retired1

Do you have a list of the 22 "right to work" states and any links for information about how this effects workers?

M

my2cents

Retired1,

Here is a link listing the other right-to-work states: http://www.nrtw.org/rtws.htm

It appears this new law will kick in for Oklahoma bargaining-unit employees when the current collective-bargaining contract expires. In regards to UPS bargaining-unit employees, one's right-to-work will take effect after July 31, 2002. In the meantime, forced-dues will continue to be a condition of employment for those who live in Oklahoma. Any sooner who wants to insure their rights are respected or has any legal questions about this new law should consider contacting National Right to Work.

J

jbul_ups

Alabama* 28,069- 31

Alaska 34,034- 12

Arizona * 30,523- 23
Arkansas* 25,371 - 46

California 37,564 - 5
Colorado 34,192 - 11
Connecticut 42,653 - 1
Delaware 35,102 - 9
Florida* 28,911 - 30
Georgia * 32,339 - 17
Hawaii 29,771 - 26
Idaho* 26,042 - 42
Illinois 36,279 - 6
Indiana 30,027 - 24
Iowa* 26,939 - 38
Kansas * 28,029 - 32
Kentucky 27,748 - 34
Louisiana* 27,221 - 36
Maine 26,887 - 39
Maryland 34,472 - 10
Mass 40,331 - 3
Michigan 35,734 - 8
Minnesota 33,487 - 13
Mississippi * 24,392 - 47
Missouri 29,958 - 25
Montana 23,253 - 50
Nebraska* 26,633 - 40
Nevada* 31,213 - 20
N Hampshire 32,139 - 18
New Jersey N/A ***- 4
New Mexico 26,270 - 41
New York 42,133 - 2
North Carolina* 29,453 - 29
North Dakota* 23,753 - 49
Ohio 31,396 - 19
Oklahoma 25,748 - 44
Oregon 30,867 - 22
Pennsylvania 32,694 - 16
Rhode Island 31,177 - 21
South Carolina* 27,124 - 37
South Dakota* 23,765 - 48
Tennessee* 29,518 - 28
Texas* 32,895 - 15
Utah* 27,884 - 33
Vermont 27,595 - 35
Virginia* 33,015 - 14
Washington 35,736 - 7
West Virginia 26,008 - 43
Wisconsin 29,597 - 27
Wyoming* 25,639 - 45
State median rank

FROM 1999 US census.

New Jersey figures not available for fourth quarter, so not included..

Judge for yourself what effect right to work has on income.
All this right to work push is, is a push by big business to get a cheaper labor work force.

M

my2cents

What does high income mean when the cost of living is just as high? I live in a forced-dues state, which normally scores in the top 5 annually in those per capita income surveys. It also scores in the top 5 in tax burden as well. I live in a state in the northeast and our state has lost population to southern states. In fact, the congressional district I live in will probably be toast in the near future, as my state has lost a seat in Congress. Here is some economic data, which I think correlates with reality: https://web.archive.org/web/20070101081701/http://www.nilrr.org/histandard.htm

S

shane

I am currently 17 and am graduating this year. I am seriously considering jumping right into the UPS family following graduation. I have no intentions on going to college and would really like to start my career come June 2002. I would appreciate it if some of you "seasoned" UPS employees would give me your 2 cents on my decision. If you could go back in time, would you immedialey start working for UPS after graduation? Also, how long does it usually take to become a driver? Thanks.

M

my2cents

It may be different where you live, but in my work center, a potential driver must be at least 21. If this holds up where you live, chances are you will start out on one of the part-time shifts. This won't hurt in the long run because you will gain knowledge of how the operation works. If you join UPS as a part-timer, it will probably take 2-3 years before your name comes up on the driver seniority list and by that time, you may be 21. It may not be a bad idea to contact the UPS center where you live and ask the human resources manager what the minimum requirements will be. Additionally, if you start out part-time, you will have some time on your hands. You can fill this void by either taking some college classes or by taking a second job. Doing this will help in your career decision making.

U

upsdude

Shane.

Take the advice of "my2cents", get a part time job with UPS and GO TO SCHOOL! You may decide to seek a management position later on, the degree will help you. Your kids (future kids I hope!) may need help with their homework. UPS is an excellent career choice. Good Luck!

T

tieguy

Take the job the hard work won't kill you but definitely go to school. Learn something. High School ain't enough anymore.

L

legs

Take a year off if it will help you get your act together. During that year work for UPS part time to get your foot in the door. After the year is over take advantage of UPS's tuition reimbursement program and go to school, you will regret it if you don't. Driving is a great high paying job and its true that you don't need a college education to do it but that is not a reason not to go further in your education.

U

upsadvisor

Now is a good time to look into a HYPO UPS class A share's as the LIBOR rates have dropped to 2 1/2
and will probably go lower.

For many the shares of UPS represent a lifetime of work, dont leave it out there for the market to take away.

A good strategy would be to HYPO the UPS shares and use the proceeds to diversify while the stock market is down.

Take advantage of low interest rates and low stock prices and maintain 100 % of your UPS stock ownership.

What to do?
1. Hypo UPS Shares
2. Diversify Holdings

Benefits
1. Hypo UPS shares at historically low rates
2. Diversify holdings and reduce risk
3. Maintain UPS ownership and Dividends
4. Potential tax deduction for interest

Please eEmail me at (removed by the webmaster for soliciting) if you would like to learn more.

C

cheryl

It would be helpful if you could tell us the terms of the hypo and what financial institution you represent.

U

upsadvisor

The terms of the hypo depend on the LIBOR contract 3 month, 6 month or 1 year and the amount to be borrowed.

Example :

300,000 hypo at 3 month LIBOR 2.5 % plus spread
of 1.25 % = 3.75 % rate ($ 2,700 Intrest )

Borrow 40% on Class A shares

$300,000 invested in deversified portfolio
( Bonds/ Growth & Value Equities )
Annual return 8%
Annual expense 1.5 %
Net 6.5 %

Total Coast 3.75 Loan plus 1.5% = 5.25%
Net after return and fees 2.75 % ( $8,250 )

This strategy is simple

you are borrowing against the shrares to buy
another group of investments in order to diversify
and thus reduce your risk. What you are also doing is potentialy paying for you borrowing costs as well as the management fee with the performance of the diversified assets.
This allows you to participate in any upside in UPS as well as the overall stock and bond market as well a protect the UPS should the stock decline as the diversified assets would cover any calls and could increase in value while the UPS is going down.

The idea is to keep what you have and grow it on both sides.

I am a Fianancial Advisor at Merrill Lynch and I have the good fortune to work with several current and former UPS employees
(as well as personally own the stock)
but this strategy is one that can be done at any of the full service firms.
( Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs etc... )

I am suggesting this strategy as a way for you to protect what you have and I urge you to talk to your financial advisor about diversification whom ever it may be.

C

cheryl

I understand your strategy and appreciate your sharing it here. Just for the record this kind of approach is too risky for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I think that hypos are a useful tool for freeing up funds, but, using the borrowed funds to buy more publicly traded stock is not something that I would recommend.

R

retired1

Many years before UPS went public there were people that used this tactic to accumulate large amounts of UPS stock. Now that we are a publicly traded company I wouldn't try it unless it was with a very small amount of my portfolio.

D

dannyboy

You made a good point. But tell me what investment fund has made 8% this year. Most of them are down 10-60%. So when you have hypoed your self out the ying yang and the value of what you have is 1/2-3/4 of what you borrowed to buy it, where does that leave you. I can tell you, without a house, car, and anything else you might have. Unless you work with someone that doesnt mind lending you 300,000 to buy what is now only worth 100,000. Retired has the right idea, before we went public it was a good thing. Now it is not so attractive.
d

M

my2cents

How liquid is this hedge? If one were to put this spread on, could a stop loss order be placed on the hedged UPS shares? By the time a margin call comes, its probably too late. I also agree with Retired1. If I was to do this, I wouldn't do it with anything greater than 10% of my holdings. From what I understand, professional hedgers hedge only 2-5% of their inventory. Why should this strategy be any different?

L

legs

I have a portion of my UPS stock on Schwab margin line that I recently used to buy some defensive food and drug stocks. It is risky and shouldn't be done unless you can tolerate a gamble.