Archives

T

twincreeks3

UPS changed its requirements to age 21 to qualify in 1985. We need to make it known to UPS and to Teamsters that UPS should make all currentUPS Pension Plan terms retro-active for any part-time years woked by current full-time employees. Contact your local union reps and let know this should be an important contract issue.

T

tliddle

Hello all.

I'm a new UPS'er... hired back in November. I work in Atlanta and my wife and I have been trying to have a child for the past 5 years (seems like 50...) If any of you have gone the adoption route, I'd love to hear from you and what issues you had. Were the UPS benefits helpful in your process? Did you have any issues with any of the requirements?

I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks

D

dannyboy

I also adopted 2 children, a boy and girl. That has been 10 years ago and it has been great. At the time the members of management were not at all supportive. Actually the were real pricks. But the times have changed, so I would suspect it would me much easier to get the time off you need. You also have the support of the FMLA for the purposes of adoption. It is not always an easy route, but hang in there, the end will be worth the cost now;).
d

J

jbul_ups

Tliddle,
Congratulations on your decision to adopt. When you have 12 months service and 1250 hours in the previous 12 months , you would qualify for 12 weeks leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993. This can not be denied to you, after you meet the time in service requirements. If you can wait to complete the adoption process till after you have 12 months in, give your boss a minimum of 30 days notice of your need for FMLA for adoption purposes. If you can't wait till the 12 month requirement is met, maybe you should feel out your management to see how they feel about a straight leave of absence. Be aware that, under FMLA, they must continue to pay your health insurance while you are off, while under LOA , they may not. For more info on FMLA go to www.dol.gov. Very informative site, and you can read the entire FMLA. Best wishes for a speedy adoption. I know your hearts will fill with love.

M

moreluck

What about the other side of the coin? I'm adopted and couldn't have chosen better parents if I hand-picked them myself!

O

oldbrownbull

I would absolutely check into the Anne Casey Foundation. The Casey Family program is in (or was a fews years back) 15 states. They have adoption candidates. I believe they are not all babies though, I am not real sure. I know a FBI field agent who adopted 2 Casey kids and there are a lot of fringe benefits. Professional help kind of like getting a computer with free technical support. Hey! Your employer could be a good referance.

B

browndog

The biggest issue right now is that the union and UPS have not started negotiations. Ask your business agent to send the message to the union and UPS to begin negotiations before customers get nervous about another strike and we lose enough volume to cause layoffs. If we lose volume we lose good Teamster jobs.

U

upsdude

There was something posted on here before about that. The Teamsters are not interested in getting started yet.

B

bigbrownbox

The UPS worker needs to start voicing our wants and needs NOW before the negotiations ever begin between the company or the union.
Want to hear some others ideas of what we want to see in that new contract......
Here are some starters.............

1. Get rid of the 5 year contract and go back to the 3 year contract . There is way too much time in between contracts and it results in a lack of accountability and responsibilities to the workers.

2. Offer a buyout to senior workers with 15 or more years because UPS clearly wants to go to a younger workforce, (substantial savings in wages, compensation , and time off ). Not a cheap buyout but an offer in 6 figures to reward the years of labor and company profit. ( The recent win in the tax court appeal gives more opportunity for this to be a reality ! )

3. UPS should match ALL 401K contributions made by its employees. UPS is one of the largest companies NOT to do this .

4. Offer a TRUE 20 and out retirement and pension plan. The workload has changed drastically in recent years with more physical and work responsibilities. 30 years is looking harder to achieve with more injuries and worn out bodies. UPS'ers have been through more battles than most military and government workers and they have a 20 and out.

Here are some ideas for starters - What's Yours??

U

upsdude

Number 3 : I don't look for that to happen. As a Teamster BA once told me, "Benefits like that don't increase dues money to the Union". As everyone knows, dues are based on your hourly rate, the more we get, the more the Union gets. Gee, I thought they were supposed to look out for me! 401K's are an awesome way to secure your financial future, matching funds just sweeten the pot.

T

thatoldwheel

UP TO 371 NOW. AS OF 6-26 MY LAWSUIT HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE LIST. CHECK LINK FOR HOOVER FROM THIS SITE.

T

thatoldwheel

From some of the people I have been talking to it seems to be a target on your back around age 48. Another ring is added evry year thereafter too!
By this time you have become justifiably paranoid and wont trust internet in fear of retaliation. I do not feel secure talking on a telephone anymore.

R

retired

It is my observation that UPSers continually wring their hands and whine about the stocks failure to skyrocket in value since the IPO. It seems that a small but vocal segment of UPS management had hoped that the stock price would be over $80 or better by now and they do not hesitate to express their disappointment. These fools have embarassed both themselves and their peers by faulting both the current BOD and wall street for failing to meet their expectations. While it may take some time for stock market virgins to become accustomed to the public market I have lost patience with all the crying and moaning. In my opinion the stock has held up well in the current situation. The economy is declining and yet the stock price remains in a pennant pattern, a trait that I see as very promising for the long term. For those of you that were hoping to have made your fortune on the IPO quit whining and sell UPS to gamble on some downtrodden techs. You may not sleep well but that's the price of gambling. For those of you with the patience to hold your UPS investments in UPS you will undoubtly be rewarded over time and still sleep well knowing that your money is secure.

O

oldbrownbull

OK. Volume is down, September ERI is headed for the toilet and a labor contract date is closing in. If you have not diversified by now you should be losing sleep. UPS stock could easily soon be doing the "Limbo"..."how low can you go!"