Archives

O

oldbrownbull

Which is harder to sell, teamster employees contributing for their benefits or a simple hourly payrate concession.

J

jbul_ups

oldbull,
"Which is harder to sell, teamster employees contributing for their benefits or a simple hourly payrate concession."

Either one will get you a strike.

O

oldbrownbull

There could be scores of part timers this time ready to deliver with no concern for a union that has done nothing for them.

R

retired

My friend, you are missing my point. Even though you stomp your feet and yell strike don't think that UPS management will flinch like a beaten dog. A strike may not be the worst thing on earth. If some issues are important enough to hold out for then UPS negotiators should not give in because the Teamsters threaten to strike. Will you choose to put your familys security on the line because you trust the Teamsters negotiators will make decisions in your best interest? Even after Ron Carey has been convicted? While I like Hoffa I wouldnt trust him with my familys future. You may not trust the UPS labor negotiators but at least their objectives are clear and in the open. A strong contract would be a better long term benefit to stockholders than a short term loss from saber rattling at contract time.

O

oldbrownbull

Retired and still so naive. I trust niether. I feel UPS has the big bucks and political clout to cover there dirt is all. To my knowledge no labor organization has ever destroyed more families and individuals than UPS.
I feel strongly that a fair days work deserves a fair days pay. It is my opinion front line supervision is subjected to horific abuse and working conditions and the drivers, mechanics and hub employees would be subjected to the same if not represented by various labor organizations. I have heard where in the name of greed they have conspired together against the employees. After all the smoke and mirrors I feel Mr Carey was a valuable asset and UPS objectives are never clear and in the open.

M

my2cents

Nobody forced you to choose UPS as a career and if the job is not to your liking, you are free to find employment elsewhere, unlike one's possible association with a labor union. Mr. Carey an asset? In my opinion, it more like draining net assets. During the course of Mr. Carey's watch the net assets of the IBT decreased roughly 150 million dollars to near bankruptcy. Additionally, he also used members dues money to get himself re-elected. Grand times indeed. Nothing like a little class warfare to stir things up.

B

bigbrown

Carey is a crook, that's why he was convicted. What is your reasoning that you thought he was an asset to the union?

J

jbul_ups

Carey is a crook, that's why he was convicted....

Really? and exactly WHAT has he been CONVICTED of? He was charged and indicted, but has not yet been TRIED and found guilty of anything.

B

bigbrown

Carey's Permanent Expulsion Upheld
The permanent expulsion of ex-Int'l Bhd. of Teamsters boss Ron Carey from IBT was upheld Apr. 18 by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. The court affirmed a 1998 district court ruling upholding and enforcing union disciplinary sanctions imposed on Carey and ex-IBT Governmental Affairs Director William W. Hamilton for the central roles they played in the elaborate money laundering scheme that tainted the 1996 IBT election.

"We recognize the irony, indeed the poignancy, of this case, in which a union leader, long pledged to internal reform, should be held accountable for corrupt practices. But the law requires no less," said U.S. Circuit Judge Robert A. Katzmann in writing for the court. "Union democracy, after all, is premised on fair elections. To that end, union officials, such as Carey and Hamilton, have a duty to ensure the integrity of that process and to fulfill their obligations to the union membership by adhering to the highest standards of governance."

IBT's Independ. Rev. Bd. in 1998 found that Carey had breached his fiduciary duty as IBT president by authorizing the diversion of some $735,000 union funds to outside groups in an effort to generate contributions to his reelection campaign. Rejecting Carey's claim that the money-swap was done by aides without his knowledge, IRB determined that the boss knew and approved of the scheme and it recommended his expulsion. Hamilton as IBT's chief political liaison, had played a pivotal role in the scheme, the IRB found, and should be similarly sanctioned.

Earlier this year, Carey was indicted for perjury and making false statements during the government's lengthy investigation of the illegal fund-raising effort. He faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison on each of seven counts. Hamilton was convicted in 1999 of embezzlement of union funds for his part in the campaign funding swap and sentenced to three years in prison.

Rejecting Carey's arguments, the court concurred with IRB that Carey "committed 'serious breaches of trust' that 'require severe sanctions.'" "IRB justified the penalty imposed on Carey by finding that '[a]s the top elected official of the IBT, Carey was especially obligated to follow the rules, particularly as to financial transactions of the size involved here and in light of his constitutional obligation to review expenditures.'"

Hamilton's part in the funding swap displayed "...an abuse of trust by a powerful administrative official [which] undermined the faith of the public and the IBT members in the ability of the union to conduct its day-to-day affairs in a trustworthy and honest way," the court said. "Actions which cause such harm are deserving of serious rebuke, both to censure officers such as Hamilton, and to warn other members that such abuse will not be tolerated."

"At bottom, Hamilton's embezzlement and Carey's breach of his fiduciary duties resulted in the misuse of $735,000 in union funds. As a result of their approval of the contributions to the political advocacy organizations, the 1996 IBT election had to be overturned and the union membership was denied its right to a fair and democratic election. We therefore hold that IRB's decision regarding the choice of sanctions is neither arbitrary or capricious." the court said.

Circuit Judges Fred I. Parker and John M. Walker joined in the ruling. Bruce C. Bishop of Steptoe & Johnson in Washington, D.C. represented Carey. G. Robert Gage Jr. of Gage & Pavlis in N.Y., represented Hamilton. Karen B. Konigsberg and Andrew W. Schilling, Asst. U.S. Attys. for the S. Dist. of N.Y. represented the government [BNA 4/23/01]

B

bigbrown

U.S. Dist. Judge Thomas P. Griesa in Manhattan sentenced ex-Int'l Bhd. of Teamsters political director William W. Hamilton to 36 months in prison Mar. 14 after he was convicted of helping steer $885,000 in IBT funds to liberal groups as part of a scheme in which donors later contributed to ex-IBT boss Ron Carey's campaign. Federal sentencing guidelines recommend 46 to 57 months in prison. The maximum is 360 months; Hamilton's six convictions were punishable by up to five years each.

Hamilton's lawyer, G. Robert Gage, Jr., pled with Griesa to depart from the guidelines. He emphasized that Hamilton hadn't benefited financially from the embezzlement, had ill and elderly parents and had spent decades working in "public service." Hamilton led civil rights demonstrations as a student, headed Planned Parenthood's D.C. office and was AFSCME's chief of staff. Asides: While at Planned Parenthood, Hamilton attacked the late Mother Teresa in a June 29, 1985 letter in the Wash. Post. And, how does being an AFSCME boss qualify as "public service"?

"This for me has been degrading and humiliating," Hamilton told the court. "I am deeply ashamed." Rationalizing, he said, "We didn't want to see the union go back to the days of corruption. Sometimes you want to do something so deeply, you do something dumb."

Emphasizing the seriousness of the crime, Griesa said: "It was a large embezzlement. It was not merely the loss of $885,000..., it was conduct which had a very damaging effect on the union." But he said he was lightening the sentence for one reason: Hamilton's "public service." Griesa actually said, Hamilton "led an exemplary life." Detroit News columnist Jon Pepper wrote: "It's lucky for [Hamilton] that he led a life of liberal activism. If [he] hadn't...he might have to spend an extra 1 1/2 years in jail."

Six Carey cronies have been convicted. Hamilton was the first to receive a prison term. One got probation, while others await sentencing. The U.S. Atty.'s Office in Manhattan said their probe continues. Hamilton declined to cooperate with investigations of others, including Carey and AFL-CIO secretary-treasurer Richard L. Trumka. Trumka has invoked the Fifth Amendment. Since no charges have been filed, Trumka is free to travel the country urging support for Al Gore. [N.Y. Times 3/15/00, Det. News 3/17/00]

O

oldbrownbull

Pardon me but you have misunderstood. I expressed my belief that Mr Carey, a once UPS shareholder to be a valuable asset to UPS not the IBT.

M

my2cents

While we are on the subject, does anyone know the trial date for Mr. Carey? From what I understand, the trial is slated for sometime during the month of August. I plan to follow any news which comes out during and after the trial, so this piece of information would come in handy. Thanks.

E

eddie138301

I HAD A SHOULDER INJURY ON THE JOB. I HAD SURGERY. NOW AFTER 3 MONTHS OF REHAB THE DOCTOR SAID THAT IF THE SHOULDER DOES NOT RESPOND AFTER 1 MORE MONTH OF REHAB THAT I MIGHT NOT TO CONTINUE MY JOB AT UPS. I AM A PKG CAR DRIVER. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS? I HAVE 18 YEARS OF SERVICE. UPS WILL NOT LET ME COME BACK UNLESS I CAN LIFT 70LBS. I CANT EVEN LIFT 3LBS IN FRONT OF ME.

T

thatoldwheel

I received e-mail responses to a post on this board back on April 13th, Under UPS Issues, subtitled non-union employee briefing.
Intelligence gathering is all that I offer and likewise seek. This in itself can be a comfort to an individual and their families, knowing they are not alone.
I found the information regarding Federal lawsuits also on the Brown Cafe by going to 'work' and by highlighting it from the left column. Also, I have been told, there would even be more lawsuits but the company is quick to secure resignations for personal reasons and have employees sign away all their rights with "quit or be fired" or "a couple months pay and benefits", tactics. One individual, was told he could not purchase COBRA benefits unless he signed all the releases, so he did. If I could pass on only one lesson, it would be never sign anything so significant without consulting an attorney.
Another individual broke off all communication because I had spent more than twenty years in Loss Prevention/Security. There seems to be a fear of guilt by association. Like a leper, people I have known for years at work will no longer give me the time of day out of fear of retaliation. I respect their fears and concern. Neighbors and associates quickly decide that you must have really screwed up although you had not. My wife and I were told, "off the record" that my application and resume would immediately go into the trash now. You, could only understand all , of this, if you have been there yourself. There is nothing comfortable about being unjustly terminated by a company that you have dedicated 31 years to, and so many of those were 7/24.

C

cheryl

Are the details of your case available on the Internet? It certainly sounds like a difficult situation but for me to really understand the circumstances it would be helpful to have more specific information. Perhaps you should create a web site that details your case. Then people that find themselves in similar circumstances compare their experiences or contact you with comments, helpful information etc.

U

upsdude

GET A SECOND OPINION!!!!! I injured a disc in my neck. The doctor told me I would NEVER drive a UPS truck again. I went for a second opinion. The second doctor performed another fusion, and after 6 months of rehab I went back to work. It has now been over a year and I've experienced no real problems. Any settlement you would receive if you couldn't return to work would be regulated by your states workers comp laws, not UPS, not Liberty Mutual. The stories out there of UPS employees getting huge settlements are just that, stories.

M

my2cents

From what I've learned, the Carey trial is scheduled for August 20. Mary Jo White is the prosecuting attorney. Apparently, she will be replaced shortly, although it is unclear at this point whether she will be at the trial. One wonders how effective she will be, if she does in fact, prosecute this case. There should be some interesting developments appearing over the next few months because the statute of limitations in this money laundering mess is set to expire in November of this year.

W

wadester

I would like to see UPS make all current UPS pension plan termsretro-active for any part-time years worked by current full-time employees. Right now if you turn ft before a certain age (25 I think)you get no credit for your pt years.

T

twincreeks3

The current cut-off age is 21 (since 1985). If you became full-time before 1985,you had to be 25 when you became full-time, or you get no credit whatsoever from UPS for a reciprocal pension.