Archives

D

dabusdrivr

IPA Provides UPS Pilots with Latest News via Webcast

LOUISVILLE, Ky., Feb. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- Gunmen storm a hotel in Istanbul, Turkey taking dozens of patrons hostage. Three UPS pilots are among those hold up at gunpoint inside the luxury hotel. Twelve hours would pass before the gunmen surrendered to police. Fortunately, no one was harmed.

CNN wasn't the only media outlet reporting the story -- the IPA's own news team was busy working the phones and tracking down information and interviews to broadcast via their daily Internet video webcast. The Independent Pilots News Network (IPNN) provides UPS pilots, represented by the Independent Pilots Association, with video news updates Monday through Friday. Hosted by two local journalists and backed by a technical staff including a videographer and computer programmer, IPNN is capable of broadcasting from just about anywhere -- including Washington, D.C. where the team recently reported on key aviation issues in front of Congress.

IPNN -- which aired its first newscast in November, 1999 -- is the 'brainchild' of IPA President Bob Miller, who was looking for a fast way to get information out to the Association's 25-hundred crewmembers who fly around the world for UPS.

"We've always had strong communication within our union, but there was a problem addressing timely information," says Miller. "Our crew newspaper comes out bi-weekly, but often, crewmembers who are traveling in other parts of the world won't receive the paper until a month after it's published."

Miller says IPNN has filled the communication gap and has even allowed the Association to address rumors before they get out of hand.

"Even UPS has embraced IPNN," states Miller. "The Company has contacted our staff numerous times in an effort to distribute important information that otherwise may not have been received by crewmembers."

The IPA is also using its technology to help other unions. In the midst of an escalating contract dispute, the pilots union representing Cathay Pacific Airways (HKAOA) began utilizing the IPA's services to provide a webcast for the 1500 pilots who fly for the airline.

The IPA also provides a monthly news update for the Coalition of Airline Pilots Associations (CAPA). CAPA is a trade group representing some 25,000 pilots at American Airlines, Southwest, UPS, FedEx, Airborne, the National Pilots Association, and the Teamster's Airline Division. For more information, contact Eric Cooper or Shelley Catharine at +1-502-968-0341.

About IPA

The Independent Pilots Association (IPA) is the collective bargaining group for the flight crewmembers of United Parcel Service (UPS), certified by the National Mediation Board on January 10, 1990. The 2,600 men and women of IPA fly the 254-jet UPS fleet. The IPA is headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky. The United Parcel Service is the ninth largest airline in North America and the eleventh largest in the world. For more information about IPA please visit the website http://www.ipapilot.org or contact Capt. Bob Miller, President, at 1-800-285-4472.

Y

yellowcat2000

dannyboy you are correct in the last statement. There was an article in the Transport Topics & TDU Newsletter about this. I article was read to me and I am trying to find out more about the settlement. I am currently out of work with carpal tunnel in both wrists. Of course UPS, is disputing the case. I can not file for disability unless I sign the loan agreement with Central States to repay back all medical and compensation. So, I have been without an income since August, 2001 and no health care insurance. UPS told me to get a light duty release from my doctor and then they would do the TAW for 30 days. After getting the release, UPS said they did not have to accommdate me with light duty. I went to the EEOC and they said they do have to accommadate me under the ADA.
In Phoenix, the case was settled out of court and the understanding was that UPS has to accommadate drivers with light duty. UPS admitted that it made a mistake and was using the wrong paper work. All management people were inform that they must accomadate drivers for light duty with no time period.

F

fed

I think the MOST important issue we could get in this contract is to do away with MANATORY OVERTIME! Think about it. You could plan things with your family, not have to use your sick days for stupid reasons. They couldn't jack you off by piling on extra work! I think this is worth more than money. If you needed extra work you could ask for it. Those who needed the overtime could get all they wanted and those who have other things going on in their lives could enjoy them.
Please think about this and let Hoffa know whats important to you!!! Thanks

F

fed

Remember on the issue of no manatory overtime isn't something that should be taken lightly. The unions fought for the 40 hour work week decades ago. Why can't we have it now? This is a new century, lets advance our conditions! I feel they abused this manatory overtime for long enough!

U

upsadvisor

Deutsche Bank today resumed UPS as a Buy
and Merrill Lynch also has UPS as a buy as well as it being one of our Focus 1 stocks.

With LIBOR rates low and UPS trading at a discount to Fed Ex it may be worth considering leveraging some to add additional shares.

( Please be sure to not over leverage if rates go up so does the cost )

John

P

proups

fed up: First, a spelling lesson. It is "mandatory", not "manatory".

I don't know about you, but where I am there is no mandatory overtime. The company asks who wants the extra work and tries to get the rest of us off at a reasonable time. At least they are making an effort.

Have you asked your manager why you are working overtime? It probably has something to do with cutting routes because of lost volume. Layoffs are underway. It is not going to get any better unless we come to an agreement quickly.

R

robonono

People do seem to be enchanted by the ability to track their packages. It also helps in being able to hold shippers accountable.

People frequently ask me about why their package is taking so long to arrive. I always ask them if they have a tracking number to confirm that their package was even shipped.

All too often UPS gets blamed for a shippers delay. My friends always follow up and ask for the tracking number, find out that the package was not shipped, and frequently receive some sort of apology/discount due to the shippers error.

J

jcroche

Cheryl:

This is a delicate question. Your website provides a singular link to a particular site providing merchandise relating to UPS's NASCAR sponsorship.

Is this a fiscal relationship, or simply a matter of not being aware of other sites available that provide the same products at a substantially lower price?

Personally, I will no longer purchase from the site that you provide links to, as they are not competent with other sites on the web.

jcr

C

cheryl

I am very disappointed to hear that you have had problems with Music City Motorsports. They are one of the three businesses that have an affiliate relationship with Brown Cafe. That means that every time that someone clicks their link and purchases merchandise from their site Brown Cafe gets a small commission. Without that type of arrangement my family once again pays the bills to bring you the Brown Cafe. The alternative way to get the site to pay for itself would be displaying advertising, which I will probably have to do again if Music City is not serving our community well.

Please let me know the details of the problem you had with them... The two requirements that I made clear at the beginning of our affiliate relationship were top quality customer service and UPS shipping. I have a personal guarantee from the VP of Corporate Marketing that they have the worlds greatest customer service. If they are not performing as promised I will find another company to take their place.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone else that has purchased merchandise from Music City Motorsports, if they are not meeting the highest quality standards then they are history.

D

dabusdrivr

FedEx Corp. Updates Third Quarter Earnings Outlook; Strong FedEx Ground Growth, Cost Management Improve Earnings

MEMPHIS, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 11, 2002--FedEx Corporation (NYSE:FDX) today announced that earnings for the third quarter ending February 28 are expected to be at the top or slightly in excess of the previously established range of $0.25 to $0.35 per diluted share. The company also reaffirmed its fourth quarter earnings guidance of $0.70 to $0.80 per diluted share.

"Strong revenue and profit growth at FedEx Ground and continued focus on costs at FedEx Express will improve our profitability this quarter," said Alan B. Graf, Jr., executive vice president and chief financial officer. FedEx Ground package volume growth is expected to approach 20% in the third quarter and yield should increase about 5%, which is an improved outlook from two months ago. Shippers are increasingly recognizing the value of the new FedEx portfolio of services, and FedEx Ground is attracting more customers with its reliable and cost-effective package delivery. The company expects additional interest in FedEx Home Delivery from the business-to-consumer market following this month's expansion of the Home Delivery network to cover 90% of the U.S. population.

Package growth at express industry leader FedEx Express continues to be affected by economic weakness, although year-over-year growth comparisons have improved from the second quarter and continue to track the company's December guidance. The additional traffic (primarily Priority Mail) being transported for the U.S. Postal Service under the recently expanded business alliance has helped offset the current softness in the express package business.

T

timetochange

Hello, I am a Teamster and a proud driver for UPS.
I have been with UPS for 12 years now.
(That's 9 years part time and 3 full time.)

I do not like the way things are looking in UPS' near future. I have been watching the news updates on FedEx, and it makes me sick!!

FedEx Ground is rapidly growing and it seems UPS is not doing much to stop it. (just a 45 million dollar ad campaign is about it)
buuut..maybe their hands are a bit tied right now because of several things..
1) The upcoming negotiations.
2) The recession
3) FedEx Ground pricing is lower.
4) USPS and FedEx alliance
5) Customer's fears about another STRIKE
I'm sure there are more..

My stomach churns more each day as I go to work and see more and more FedEx Ground trucks out there. And by the end of 2003, we'll even be looking at the new "FedEx Freight" vehicles (notice the label changes on Viking Freight and American Freight trucks)

Volume seems to be down...as I and many others inch closer and closer to getting laid off.
And all I still hear in the locker rooms, are the older "pre-retirees" bitching and moaning about UPS and how much MORE they want in their monthly pension !! The GREED is killing us!!

(side-note here)
Yeah.. I know what some of you veteran employees are thinking right now.. "be happy that you got such a great job.. if it wasn't for us, you wouldn't be getting paid what you make now per hour..."
That's somewhat true, I agree..but you know what? 1)I pay my Union dues each month
2)I waited 9 years to go full time while many of you older folks came in full time right off the street!! Yeah.. I am lucky to have a job here..but SO ARE YOU !!
Yes, I do like the money I make..but I will always give 110% back in labor.

Now getting back to my comments..
(thinking back).. I can still here the veterans saying.."UPS is too big to ever fold...don't worry about your future" "FedEx can't handle our volume !"

Seeing all the FedEx Ground trucks...
I wonder what they are thinking now??

WE HAVE TO STOP THINKING THAT OUR JOBS ARE SECURE JUST BECAUSE UPS HAS BEEN AROUND FOR SO LONG! WE NEED TO GET BACK TO CUSTOMER QUALITY!! FULL TIMERS AND PART TIMERS TOGETHER!! HELP EACH OTHER OUT, COMMUNICATE THE IMPORTANCE OF TREATING THAT PACKAGE LIKE ITS YOUR LOVED ONE!! QUIT FOCUSING ON PERSONAL ISSUES! I BELIEVE WE HAVE GOTTEN SPOILED OVER THE LAST 30+ YEARS..WE NEED TO CHANGE THAT!

If we don't change our attitude really quick,
I don't feel UPS will ever be the same again or much less in the "delivery" business, by the time employees like me are ready to retire.

Of course this is all subject to the fact that corporate UPS "still wants" to stay in the delivery business..or maybe they got other plans.. like "just Logistics"..hmmmm "That could be a sneaky plan to break the Union and punish us for the 1997 strike." I mean why not? the top execs will still make their money.
What would Jim Casey say about that today? I don't think he would be too happy about that move. Just think.."an America without little Brown delivery trucks??" How UN-American!!

So..do I save my money and "buy" my own FedEx truck? ...or should I go back to school for a different career making the same as what I make now?..or should I stick it out at UPS and see what happens.. hmmm TOUGH decision!

Some of you may think I'm over-reacting.... I don't think so. I'm just really "getting the big picture".
Plus, I'm just tired of listening to the same old crap thats at the top of the priority lists for UPSers. (I won't list them now because, I'm sure there are some FedEx idiots reading this and gloating)

Speaking of FedEx.. when the hell is FedEx Ground going to get out from "under the RailRoad Act"?? Or are they? I haven't heard much about that lately. God, do I hate those bastards!!

Second to last. I just want to say "Thanks alot!" to the retirees (NOT all), who didn't give 110% when they were at UPS; and to the "lazy" ones who are still working here and bilking UPS for everything they can get. I mean "why should you worry about UPS' future ??..your ready to retire soon right?"

Also..I would like to give a pleasant "Thank You" to the ones who did give 110% !! You deserve to have a great pension !!

JIM HOFFA...MIKE ESKEW.. ARE YOU GUYS READING THIS ?? "WHAT'S GOING ON ????????"
"Please settle the damn contract by the end of March, so we can get back in the ring and kick FEDEX's ASS !!"
"They are on OUR turf and we need to THROW them OUT!!!!"

Finally.. (shaking my head)
The 1997 strike has finally come back to "haunt" us..

Good luck everyone! I think we are going to need it!

PS.. I know I let off some steam in here and maybe somebody will lecture me on a few things too..that's ok... I am always willing to hear other's opinions. So lay it on me.

R

rshoe4056

Wow! Hope you feel better now that you got that off your shoulders! Now...can you get the stock price to climb?

L

lr1937

Timetochange
I think you got it right. I think some upsers may get hurt regardless of the contract. FDX is underpricing ups and this is going to cost jobs. To many complacent "old timers" think competition is not real and that ups is conning them. FDX just announced a 20% increase in ground volume. Where do you think that is coming from? Even Hoffa thinks ups is a cash cow. Even if the contract is settled it is going to cost a bundle and rate increases are inevitable. FDX will ride our rate coat tails and always will be cheaper. It doesn't matter how much other stuff we provide for a price in tough times most are not willing to pay for the extras. I almost believe there is nothing ups can do about losing ground volume. We stayed lower than parcel post and railway express and got our volume by providing a better service at a lower cost. Now it is almost impossible for us to provide a lower cost especially in ground and cost is the bottom line for most. Being a day or two later and no frills will win a lot of customers. It doesn't take a genious or 25 yrs of seniority to figure out what a ups drivers economic package costs versus what a fdx or fdx contract drivers economic package costs. I think ups people need to wake up and look at what you got and start figuring out how to keep it rather than "milking the cash cow" for more. Your future depends on it

U

upsadvisor

Lets look at a few facts here before we all panic.

UPS has a tremendous edge in the ground delivery business simply due to the amount of equipment / personel and infrastucture that is in place.

Fed Ex is trying to emulate this and may in fact gain ground on UPS but at what cost ?

Fed Ex does not have the profitability to compete on a cost basis with UPS.

UPS management is growing the company in the areas that have the most growth potential and profit potential but make no mistake when management decides its time to take it to Fed Ex
it will be done from a position of strength not panic.

Let Fed Ex spend themselves silly trying to aquire the assets on the ground to compete with UPS and when they are in debt up to their ears UPS can begin to squeeze their margins through price competition. One need only look at what Dell computer with its cost stucture has done to its rivals.

In the long run the one who can charge the least for the best service and still make a profit wins.

Another thing to consider is how many balls can Fed Ex management keep in the air without stumbling. Fed Ex may be adding volume in ground delivery but UPS is adding in international and overnight delivery which is Fed Ex sweet spot.

Lets not forget one huge intangable, the people of UPS. When is the last time you heard a Fed Ex employee on the street rave about their employer or even smile.

They are in my building along side the UPSers and if we left a window open there would be blue and orange all over the pavement.

Whatever does not kill us makes us stronger !!

John

J

jcroche

Cheryl:

The problem that I had with Music City Motorsports was resolved "in house" to my satisfaction.

Others who ordered the same product as I did, and did not know the particulars, may have paid $30 over what other sites were offering the same product for.

In all fairness, after contacting them, Music City Motorsports did change their illustration and pricing for that particular product, but I can still find comparable products at a cheaper price elswhere.

L

lr1937

Debt-to-Equity) 1.5% 0.4% fdx being .4.ups being l.5
(Let Fed Ex spend themselves silly trying to aquire the assets on the ground to compete with UPS and when they are in debt up to their ears UPS can begin to squeeze their margins through price competition.)
upsadvisor, I tend to go along with your post but help enlighten me about fdx debt. It would seem that they have less debt than ups based on debt to equity. Does fdx have some book keeping majic regarding their debt that I am unaware of. Do they lease and is leasing debt? I keep hearing about fdx debt but all the facts seem to idicate other wise. Fdx has a Bbb1 debt rating from Moody's while UPS has Aaa. How can this be if fdx has less debt to equity? Help!

U

upsadvisor

Debt falls under many catogories one of the biggest which is not recognized as debt is dillution.
How do you think Fed Ex is funding its growth.

The magic you were refering to is dillution, every time Fed Ex issues shares to make a purchase it dillutes their earnings and the last time I looked Fed Ex had not made any deals that were accretive to earnings.

Eventually you dillute the earnings to the point that there are none and tell the share holders things will turn around when the businesses become profitable ( ever hear of a company called Cisco ). What Fed Ex is doing is not new or a mystery and they are not printing money.

Debt is Debt weather it is issuance of stock or borrowing money. One last thing companies are not required as of yet to list debt off the balance sheet and this included private placements and certain Debentures.

Fed Ex is expanding and is using its cash flow to fund it as well as keep the doors open sooner or later they will have to borrow money the old fashion way ( Corp Bonds ) and not through magic.

John