Archives

R

retired1

buggs, Of the 400 cases how many are legitimate complaints related to employment and how many are customers that wont pay for their COD's like that guy that was here last week? I'm sure there are a few legit complaints but far more are bs. My son is a lawyer and he always says anyone can sue anyone else about anything, that doesn't mean it's got any merit. UPS is a deep pocket so every scammer in the world finds them attractive.

G

gsx1990

Well folks, we haven't heard anything from OPL
since their big announcement. I find it very
upsetting that they decided to bail just as
insurance rates are skyrocketing. Just got my
car insurance renewal, and it went up 25% with
no accidents/wrecks. I can imagine that insurance
rates nationwide are skyrocketing. Meanwhile, OPL
is in an "orderly rundown". Wonderful. They
are certainly in no hurry. They have a $1.3
billion nestegg to live off of. I personally would like to see OPL take drastic actions to
lay off those not needed and take serious cost
cutting measures. However, I suspect everyone
got raises for doing such a "good" job. Even
with this "orderly rundown" we likely won't see
any cash in our pockets (if anything is left) for
years. The only upside I can see is that the
markets in general might be on the upswing, and
may provide an investment profit from that $1.3 billion OPL still has. With our luck however, OPL will loose money on their investments too. This is definately a no-win situation for EVERYONE except those employeed by OPL. One last
thing I found very interesting...the last letter
we received from OPL was not written/signed by
Mary. Where in the world is she? Gloating over
her successes?

gsx90

P

proups

bugss: News coverage? Go ahead and make yourself look silly. I agree with Retired1's son the lawyer, you can sue UPS for anything, but rarely do these cases make it to trial. It is because they don't have any merit. You are right, "you all" have to stick together, because you are definitely in a minority.

M

michael

gsx1990

I couldn't agree more. Remember back when OPL was doing so well, and the stock price was going up. You always knew what was going on (for the most part). Now that things are terrible, no one is saying ANYTHING! Sorry, but I think that SUCKS. I was a big believer in OPL for a long time. Seems that once UPS pulled their business it was the beginning of the end! Everything was 100 % downhill after that!

Now they don't even have the decency to communicate. They will say that those on the board and other large shareholders have as much to lose as we do and its probably true, however, that doesn't mean I have to have any respect for them either. Why should I? They proved that they were incompetent at running the business. They were paid big $$$$$ to do that and they FAILED They didn't fail to take their big salaries though did they?

I understand that the company will be held liable for years to come on outstanding claims and this is the reason that it will be a long slow process before we recover any $$$$ (if there are any left!) One can only hope that all those in charge are not getting compensation at this time and, if possible, be held liable and accountable for all their actions. If anyone has any idea how to find out any info on this subject I would enjoy hearing about it.

I don't want to be told that we got the stock at 25¢ and that we are still making money because, after all, that is what the intention was!

Michael

U

upsdude

yellowcat2000

I suffered a neck injury (9/98 on the job) and missed nearly two years of work. Never once did UPS or Liberty Mutual hassle me. Before you go bashing UPS, check your states workers comp laws. Or do you also believe that all 50 states are in on this grand conspiracy with UPS to deny injury claims?

U

upsadvisor

longups,

As e retiree of UPS having the A shares is actually a disadvantage.

The B shares are fully liquiuid and be held anywhere, whereas the A share have to be converted then sold by the transfer agent as opposed to being able to sell them where you want.

You can not for example put a limit price on a sale you must take the avg price on that day and
it can take over a week to receive the proceeds.

One last thing, the loan to value on the B shares is higher than on the A shares.

I would give some thought to using the UPS shares to accumulate some tax free municipal bonds in order to add some tax free income in retirement, depending on how much UPS you have you could be looking at a tax bill from Uncle Sam for the UPS dividends as they are considered ordinary income.

The bond income could help pay for that.

Just a thought and congratulations on the retirement.

John

L

longups

Thanks Advisor!
Good recommendations, but bonds are now at a low point, keeping money in a bank may be a better strategy and wait for Mr Greenspan to raise the interest levels.

U

upsadvisor

The reason is that it makes a good headline
and sells newspapers other than that the day to day share price gyrations on any good long term investment are irrelevant.

What does it matter if the price of UPS is below Fed Ex today ? Where will the stock be in a year, 5 years?, Where will these two companies be ?

You dont buy a house and 6 months later worry about how much it is worth relative to your neighbors, you improve it over time with quality craftmanship and well though out plans.

30 years form now when you are ready to retire then all the hard work pays off.

We all need to learn to navigate the noise to get to the facts.

John

U

upsadvisor

longups,

The only problem is that with money market rates so low after inflation you are actually losing money.

Inflation is running at about 3.25% so you need to make that much on an after tax basis just to stay even.

There are bonds out there paying 4% 10+ yr maturity and on a tax equivalent yield basis
you are looking at 5.25 to 6% depending on your tax bracket.

If tou live in a state like Florida with an intangiable tax Munis offer you the added benefit of lowering your taxes as Florida gives you a credit for owning State Bonds.

You may even want to look at some kind of tax deffered fixed annuity, there are many options available even in a low int rate environment like this.

John

F

frank

Anyone know how to access this site.I tried putting in my employee I.D. # but they ask for a password.Where do I get that from?

L

longups

I received mine in the mail. Try you HR dept. It' a formula and they can give it to you.

V

vic

United Parcel Service (UPS / NYSE)
JP Morgan Chase & Co.
Raising to Buy from Long Term Buy as we feel that the stock offers more upside than FedEx. The market has overlooked UPS for its strong ROE, ROIC, and generated free cash flow as the stock has underperformed Fedex stock by 27% since September 17, 2001. In addition, we expect the Teamsters union to renew their contract with UPS on time.

FedEx Corporation (FDX / NYSE)
JP Morgan Chase & Co.
Downgrading to Long Term Buy from Buy due to recent climb in stock price. We also expect FedEx Ground volume growth to slowdown after the third quarter. We prefer UPS to Fedex at this point.

U

upsace

This site is being tested in limited areas(I forgot which) and will be expanded soon. It was on the UPS intranet a few weeks ago.

P

peacock71

There is no doubt, that even if a part of the logistics opportunity is made good, UPS will thrive and JPM will look like a visionary. (Even though logistics prognosticators have seen the light since at leat 1990).

Go UPS!
P71

R

runaround

Your password is the first two letters of your last name,the last two didgits of your date of birth and the last two didgits of your SNN

M

my2cents

I don't want to be a pessimist because I want to see the UPS units grow and prosper, but one of the main non-economic proposals put forth by the unions is the right to impose card check schemes on these affiliated units. Will flexibility be traded in for rigid union work rules? If card check is implemented, how much of a drag will it have on the stock price? Economics aside, this also means workers who don't want "representation" or "services" of the unions, will be forced to accept them.

G

goatmonster

"Economics aside, this also means workers who don't want "representation" or "services" of the unions, will be forced to accept them."

Nobody is "forced" to accept anything. They can always quit and go to work for a non-union competitor. Oh wait, those other guys don't pay as well.....Gee, I wonder why....

M

my2cents

goatmonster,

A union under U.S. labor law is not a free association. Today's union movement is based on coercion not voluntary choice. The sale of one's labor is a private and individual decision. The unions' strike threat power is based on its coercive ability to restrict the labor supply. There is also little accountability in a compulsory system, as evidenced by endless corruption scandals and occasional violence. Compulsory unionism is tyranny.

G

goatmonster

my2cents,

"A union under U.S. labor law is not a free association"
Actually, it is. Noone is forced to join a union, there are plenty of non-union jobs out there. There are, however, plenty of good reasons why people would rather work in a union job, higher pay and better benefits being the most obvious ones. Look at any sector of industry and compare the compensation at union vs non-union jobs. Now answer me this, why are the union workers uniformly higher paid and better taken care of? I'll give you a hint, its not because the companies they work for are philanthropists. Your statements about "compulsory unionism" and "tyranny" are simply nonsense. Saddam Hussein is a tyrant, James Hoffa is not even close. It's clear you need go read some labor history in order to gain a basic understanding of how unions came to exist, and why they are still relevant and necesary at large blue collar companies like UPS.