Archives

G

greasymech

gsx, the non-union competition I assume you are refering to would be a company such as FedX. Would you be surprised to learn that a FedX Aircraft Mechanic with experience has a starting wage in the upper twenty dollar/hr range? Would you be surprised to learn that the contract that the UPS Aircraft Mechanics turned down had a starting wage of $17/hr without any regard to the level of experience. Would you be surprised to learn that 10 years ago the starting wage for an experienced mechanic at UPS was $20/hr? Did you know that a predominatly republican Presidental Emergency Board recently sided with the IAM to bring UAL Aircraft Mechanics immediately up to $35/hr? This contract expires in 4 years with mechanics topping out at near $39/hr. The PBE sided with the IAM despite the fact that UAL is a company currently loosing money.

Again, I would like to point out that this is simply a matter of supply and demand. If UPS wants to retain good knowledgeable hard working Aircraft Mechanics it must pay them a good wage not just what appears fair to people unfamiliar with our trade. By the way, Southwest Airlines are currently in negotiations with their Aircraft Mechanics. These mechanics are also represented by the Teamsters.

T

thedrooler

I am not surprised to learn that UPS does a great job keeping costs under control. As an investor, I have no problem with that. Also as an investor, I have no sympathy for employees who whine that they are not paid enough. If your wages are not acceptable to you, find another place to work that pays you what you think you are worth. It's simple supply and demand. If UPS feels it can no longer find mechanics willing to work, and work at an acceptable level of performance, for what they are paying, they will offer a more attractive compensation package.

Drooler

F

frank

why dont you go drool somewhere else DROOLER.
who do you think you are telling someone to go somewhere else for work.screw that.

here's another guy who thinks they got everything figured out!

C

cheryl

It is fine to disagree with a different viewpoint, but please limit this to challenging the idea and not make your comments a personal challenge or make derogatory personal comments about individuals, their ideas or their situation. The latter is considered to be a flame and will not be condoned.

W

woody

In trying to look at this without the usual mtg/union emotion and acrimony I took a look at this strictly from the mathematics. A 30% raise over 3 years with the majority front loaded is an amazing percent increase that no one that I know of, be it union or mgt receive now-a-days (and please don't include the CEO of a $30B company,he is one person and is grossly underpaid compared to his peers). The only way that I could think that this is justified is if the union feels that they were underpaid in the last contract and that they want to make some of it up with this contract. From a purely logical viewpoint it makes no sense to reject a 10% raise per year when inflation is less than 1% unless you feel that your current pay is not up to industry standards. Is this the case...what is the industry standard? I would appreciate some feedback from the aircraft mechanics concerning this.

T

thedrooler

Hey Frank,
Nothing personal, but I'll drool anywhere I want to drool. And yes, I think I do have it figured out.

Drooler

G

greasymech

Woody please read my previous posts. UPS offered top pay at basicly what a Presidential Emergency Board told United Airlines they should pay it's mechanics. Starting wages, in my opinion, were an insult to my profession. BTW, these are flat rates offered by UPS and do not increase in higher cost of living areas. UAL reluctantly agreed with the PEB and increased it's mechanics by an immediate 37% to $35/hr. YES, Aircraft Mechanics have been under paid for many years. Do you have any idea what a top paid Captain makes for a major airline? Rarely is that figure printed in the media. Usually only the percentage of the flight crews wage increase is announced to the media.

In my opinion this was a low ball offer, made 2 months after 9/11 when tensions were at their height in the Airline industry. What surprised me, and I'm sure UPS, is that not only was it turned down by such a huge majority, almost everybody actually voted. That has never happened before. It was not grandstanding by our Union. I was very surprised at the total commitment by so many to refuse this.

Comments brought to you from an Aircraft Technition with 15 years experience on heavy lift aircraft, 2 year Associate degree in electronics, 2 year Technical degree in Aviation Maintance, Airframe and Powerplant Licences, and an FCC General Radiotelephone Licence. I can get a job somewhere else.

T

tieguy

UPS supervisors do not make anywhere near 80K. With the airline industry in the shape its in now UPS should cut their losses and find some more appreciative mechanics.

U

upsdude

Ive tried every password scenario I can imagine, still no luck. In typical UPS fashion, center management tells me that I must be doing something wrong. Funny thing though, no access from the managers desktop either. Come on guys, weve been asking for something like this, you gave it to us, now make it work!

G

greasymech

Tieguy, I must disagree. As a shareholder, I don't believe hiring a new work force of un-experienced Mechanics would be in the best interest of our Company. It would only look good on paper to the bosses of the bean counters.

UPS has well over a Billion dollars worth of aircraft. Just one 767 for example, cost about $60 million. I handle and decide when to change parts costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Do you really want a bunch of newbys out there on the line learning how to fix these a/c?

No, many UPS supervisors do not make this kind of money. Most of them also don't have Federal Licences and years of experience fixing complicated aircraft systems.

G

gsx1990

greasy,
Thanks again for your informative insite to
your position, etc. You do present a positive
attitude.

However, I have a few more comments. You mentioned how much Captains flying airlines make.
Do you think that amount is excessive?

You say you can get a job elsewhere. My question, (please do not take offense) is why do
you not?

Finally, you mention how Supervisors do not have
"Federal Licences and years of experience fixing complicated aircraft systems. ". Will you not
admit that perhaps they have years of other
experiences doing other jobs that are just as
important to keep the whole UPS machine going?

Not trying to start trouble here, just want your
opinion as you seem to be a resonable level headed
person.

V

vic

upsdude,
Have you got your employee id right? It's the id number on your paystub.

The password is the formula given by runaround.

It took me a couple of tries but I finally figured out what I was doing wrong and got in.

F

frank

There's a link for UPS pilot wages..its from 1998 though..a little old but I found it on the aviation section of browncafe.

K

kjones514

Frank, good link, but the wages have gone up for junior pilots, and right now they are voting on a "mid-term" contract, that will let UPS use IROs on the md-11, and you should see what UPS had to give up for that. I almost fainted when I saw the agreement, but those "greedy pilots" are going to vote it down. Go to ipa.org. for update. Now back to the "greedy mechanic", we are asking for a fair contract, thats it, whether it seems outragous to you or not, this is the way it is, sorry but facts are facts. When we receive the ILC, if forever what reason UPS bad management tries to kill the company, WE would step in to help it survive, What can Brown to for ME.

G

gsx1990

kjones,
Striking does not save a company...it destroys it. Compromises save companies. The teamsters
have made it VERY clear they don't want to
compromise....they want "EVERY GOLDEN EGG"!
Perhaps you missed those comments.

M

my2cents

If you guys are interested in the pilot's contract I found it in my online travels about a year or so ago.

F

frank

Is there a way to find out how many of these you have without having to keep asking your sup? It thought this info would be on upsers.com, but no luck? Any info. appreciated.

T

thedrooler

Ask your manager how many you get and then keep track of how many you use. Not too complicated. Hey! I figured it out!

Drooler

U

upsdude

Drooler is correct, get the number, write it down and keep track. Im a firm believer that every employee should keep track of their time worked (daily), OPH, sick days and vacation. Human errors can and will pop up from time to time. Cover drivers are especially prone to payroll errors if they fail to enter THEIR social security number and name in the diad.