Archives

D

delivryman24

Heard any other good ones?

Ok, after all the talk, and now that most everyone has seen the new Pension Plan, I'm ready to get something going. I'm afraid that if we don't keep this a hot topic, it will just die down which is I'm sure what the Teamsters are hoping will happen. The guys where I work are ready also.
Tell me what we need to do to get the ball rolling, to let the big wigs in the Union know that we're not just going to roll over on this one. We seem to think that we can get this going quicker thru the FEEDER operation if it is a petition of some sort. I know of about 10 guys including myself that have their withdrawal letters waiting to be sent out. We are going to wait and see what the Union has to say before we send them in.

P

pretender

Since TDU seems to already be established in their opposition, would it be more productive to work within that framework? Or, what if we got a petition going, directed to UPS--Expressing our desire for the company to take over the pension (Or at least the Central States portion?)

My preference would be to petition UPS--Even if it was unsuccessful, it would still send a strong message to the union. I do agree that we have to do SOMETHING; and not let the issue die...

S

sendagain6160

Sounds like the same conversation is going on in all the centers.I know about 25 drivers that are ready to get something done.We are a small center, bur 100% behind the petition, and yes they are also talking about drafting a withdrawal letter.We cannot just sweep this under the rug without a fight.Some are suggesting getting the natl news involved like maybe Bill Orielly on FOX.

G

gablegso

After reviewing the new pension plan that cripples any hope of retiring in mid 50's I have decided it is time to say no to the union. We do however need a plan beyond a petition. What would be a fair proposal to the past,present,and future teamsters. I would like to see my pension money (166.00 a week) be split one half goes to the pension plan to help pay off the teamsters liabilites of current retirees and the other half go to a company match 401k account. The only money I would expect due to me from the pension would be time already served(10 years = $1000). I feel this plan would be fair to all including the teamster who would be given a chance to get out of debt.

C

cheryl

I recently saw a petition script that allows users to add an actual signature online, using their mouse. If some of you want to take responsibility for writing and delivering the petition I'll be happy to provide space and technical support on the Brown Cafe. Just let me know and it can be set up in a couple of days.

T

toonertoo

This may be a redundant question that I missed the answer to, but if we withdraw, what happens to the money and time we have accumulated?

D

delivryman24

toonertoo: I have wondered that myself. But remember back in 97 when UPS proposed the takeover-they were going to offer any time allready accumulated and if I remember were going to count full credit for your part time years. Another thing to think about is the already retirees: It may sacrifice their pension completely. I would hate that, but we may just have to bite the bullet. For you guys whose pension has not been affected:this is a wakeup to you guys too. The Union is probably telling you don't worry, it won't happen to your pension. Well, we have been hearing that since 97. AND LOOK WHERE WE ARE NOW!

W

wkmac

toonertoo,
I don't think there is a clear picture at this point. With all the emotion involved and the politics nobody has just sat down to look at real options and what the pros and cons are. I've been upset too but we really need to sit back, take a deep breath and approach this thing calmly and logically. I don't understand all the details of it but because of that memorandum about CS in the 02' contract it's possible UPS just may end up being a good ally in this whole mess. Would it not be ironic if UPS stepped up and helped us get own retirement at the levels they purposed in 97'? Not saying they will and to be honest this is a mess we created and they should not be approached for more money but the irony of it would be very interesting indeed!

S

steamheat

delivryman24: Im afraid the retirees are already doomed. I don't see the fund remaining solvent beyond 5 to 10 years.

U

upsdude

I dont see UPS doing anything at this point. Im not sure they could, legally. The Teamsters are the exclusive bargaining agent representing those covered by CS (and every other plan). The company would be prohibited from negotiating directly with the rank and file. The bed has been made, may as well climb in and try to get comfortable. To those that laughed and ridiculed me in 97, I told you so.

T

toonertoo

I do not know what I should about this subject shame on me, but I did like the idea fo all my part time being credited, and actually, I liked the idea of UPS holding the pension, I think it would have been easier to keep an eye on, but with some of the major companies devastating their workforce, by stealing and lying, I thought maybe it wasn't a good idea. I know my Dads fund got stolen a year before he retired, and hes been poverty stricken since. Now I am beginning to feel his pain. work all your life to have a relaxing retirement, and get the shaft. Pretty depressing at the least. I didnt understand much then, but I am learning. Our local is having a meeting on jan 6th, and I know I will be there, and try to understand what is going on.

S

sendagain6160

We are having a meeting at 7am tomorrow morn.Talked to some of the drivers tonight and they called union hall today and asked for withdrawel papers.One driver said the secretary told him that she was not allowed to send him one and that she was tired of the drivers calling and asking.She said the only one that could do that was the BA.}

W

wkmac

You're correct upsdude. Company can't do anything and this presents the problem of de-certification. It sounds good on the face of it but what happens after the fact? Company can't say or do anything to indicate so this becomes a huge issue of trust if folks move in that direction. I think a retirement plan can be setup that protects us from all concerned but the question is will the "all concerned" let us?

M

muncher

I have been talking to some of the drivers over the past few days and I must say I am DIGUSTED! at there attitudes and thoughts on the matter. It's funny nobody seems to care about issues at Ups until it affects them personally.Yes there are cuts comming, but this is going on in a lot of places in america right now. In the big picture we still have a great Pension, good benifets, great job security. Just remember a penion is not a entitlement, its a bonus when working. It's sad that most drivers are mad because now they can't retire at any age, well tell me at what job can a person retire at any age after 20, 25 years? Most employers will push older employes out the door and be left with nothing. It's a changing world, and the Pension plan must change with it, people are living longer lives with higher medical costs, soon we will have more people colecting then paying in, don't you want safegaurds to make sure you will have something when you retire, if everone retired now at say age 52, 55, 57 there will be nothing left for the peole still working. Instead of getting mad and calling the Union hall blameing them for all of this, try calling Aetna, Cigna, or any other insurance provider and ask why your preimums are so inflated, or call Phiser, Merk, or Beyer and ask them why they are charge Americans 65% more for Drugs then in any other country? Are the Teamsters perfect? no, but just remember this for those of you who want UPS to take over the Pension fund. In the end UPS ALWAYS DOSE WHAT IS BEST FOR UPS, NOT THE PEOPLE WHO WORK THERE!! Deep down inside do you think upS WILL GIVE US A HUGE WINDFALL OF MONEY AND EARLY REITEMENT?? UPS has a long history of making promises and breaking them. Just remember a Union run pension plan has much more safegaurds and protection then a company run plan.One last thing, for all of you who want to WITHDRAWAL, GET REAL!!! If you are serious, then the next time you get fired for something bogas, represnt yourself and see how far it gets you!!! Jackasses!!!!!

D

delivryman24

Wait a minute there "Munchy". For the most part you are completely right in your statements. However, what most of us are --ssed about is the way the UNion has went about this. First of all they call a "BOARD meeting" to decide what needs to be done. They vote on what needs to be done and then they(central states) put together a packet and mail everyone these packets, almost two weeks AFTER the new plan has already went into affect. Yes the buzz had already started, but we as members should have known what was about to happen beforehand. And yes i know it would have happened regardless. But the point is, a lot of us are finding out many of the "lies" that we were told back in 97 in order for the union to keep the pension.
And about being fired. I know of no one in my area that have been fired over nothing "bogas". I do know of guys who have been "fired" suspended or however you want to look at it, over things that they shouldn't have got there job back and are working today. It should not be the UNION who runs or controls this company. Those who do their job like they are supposed to will not be fired. I know guys who everyday "steal" time and are not worried one bit because they know the UNION has thier back. In my book that is WRONG, union or no union. JMHO

M

muncher

On last thing I forgot to add, ask Fed Ex drivers how there Pension plan is?

S

speeddemon

we dont work for fedex, care to compare it to managements pension? Or in the northeast UPS'ers?

L

local804

There is no problem with the pension here in the North East. I just hope in the future, it dont get ugly as per the CS.