Archives

W

wily_old_vet

Was told by a Mellon rep that shares held in an IRA aren't eligible. That sucks.

T

traveler

A DRIP allows you to elect all dividends paid will not come in cash but in the form of additional shares. This will often mean you will own fractions of a share. I use that technique in my rollover IRA since I don't want or need the cash and since I have committed my money to a stock, a few extra share is better for me than a cash buildup.

M

my2cents

Daveupser,

Login to your Mellon One account. Once logged in, click on details of your equity holdings. Once this page is loaded, under the Account Management menu, select Dividend Selection and follow the instructions for enrolling in the DRIP. I would recommend printing out the ten page prospectus, which describes to your what the program is all about. Once enrolled, you will receive a confirmation email for your transaction. Pretty simple.

T

toonertoo

We told you!!!!!... But its a good hurt to use those muscles. When I first started all I did was work and little else saving my energy for the next day. After about a week it will be a walk in the park. The kids will take care of you...I promise.

M

muncher

Looks like Chadwicks is a new basic account, delerived 4 of them today.
The Munch

D

dannyboy

I averaged about 25-35 a week before christmas. 20% arnt basic. Thats additional volume we got when we picked up the basic packages.

I love it. A true win win for a change.

d

T

toonertoo

We dont have cover drivers here, we have FT drivers that are sometimes laid off but have to be off ft a week before they can bump back to pt, but seems they can go back on road when the need arises without a wait. It seems like an awful grey area to have that kind of a work force, and how is the accountability held for when to make them full time? That clause needs to go IMO.

T

toonertoo

I need a new pc sooooo bad but I dont care how good the deals are if it isnt made in the USA I am not buying. I used to see an add on brown cafe for pcs made in the USA by IBEW, anybody have the link? I have a hard enough time operating that I need someone to speak fluent English when I call with a problem. AND I know we can make and service them here. I am also suppose to give this link to a very large chemical company who has just been given 85,000.00 to buy pcs,and that is just for one building, but he can pass the information on to the others in the USA, and he wants to buy AMERICAN also, so I am seriously in need of the link.

W

wily_old_vet

Traveler-Was that with some other stock in an IRA? Mellon says can't do it with UPS shares in an IRA.

M

mojobuc

"The kids will take care of you...I promise."
They did.
Had a 'daddy is home at night, party', though i had to party poop out by 8pm.

S

sweatyguy

At first its Hard Work...after a while its just Work... Have fun and always challenge yourself to work safer/faster/more effecient...

M

mountaingoat

Yes, Pretender, it IS very difficult to move money out of a fund that is giving you 20% gains. However, you have to remember that you are SELLING that portion of the fund that you are moving out, so you are selling high. Conversely, the funds that you are moving into are probably down, so you are buying LOW. It's like getting a discount on your purchase. The problem with investing with the people that I counsel is that they let the market play on their emotions. They feel that they can get a little bit more out of the fund.

In the mid-late 90's, almost anyone could pick a good fund or stock -- things were flying. Then, when it started to take a dive, poeple started to realize that maybe their funds weren't as great as they thought they were. Emotion takes over -- people don't want to settle selling funds at a loss, so they say, "when the value of this fund returns to the point where I bought it, then I'll sell" and that they continue to say that as the fund continues to lose value. Had they rebalanced every year or six months, they would have been locking in those 20% gains and buying the lower-priced allocations.

For instance, suppose that you have an 80% allocation in equities and a 20% allocation in bonds. After one year, your equities have made a 25% percent gain and your bonds have maybe lost 3%. Because of your gains, you now have more allocation in your equities and less in your bonds. So, to regain your balance (rebalancing), you sell the portion of your equities to return to your 80% allocation (even though that fund is giving you 25% returns!) and purchase more shares in the bond fund which lost 3% (but, you're buying those shares at a discount). So, at this point you have SOLD HIGH and BOUGHT LOW.

Now, when the stock market turns, and that 25% turns into a 20% loss, you have moved out a bunch of money into the bond fund, so you don't take as huge a loss. Remember, too, that when stocks are down, bonds are usually up, so now your bond fund is going up 8%. At the end of this year, you may be over your 20% allocation for bonds, so you sell your over-allocation of bonds (again, you're selling high), and you buy more of the stock fund (which is now at a 20% discount because it lost value, which means you're buying low).

Capice?

P

pretender

Thanks Mountaingoat--You explained it perfectly. Even though I knew all of this, I still did not follow the system. I made the classic mistake of following my emotions. It is funny/ironic that once you accept the fact that you are on the downhill slide, it is usually too late to lock in your gains. Then, as you say, the emotions really take over, and the losses become even worse...

I was lucky and got back in the market shortly after it started rising. And--as hard as it was to do, I recently rebalanced my allocations. Hopefully, there will be some people who will learn from my mistake...

T

traveler

wily,
I've done a drip with Harley Davidson and Royal Caribbean to name just two. My only guess is that you may have Class "A" shares and a DRIP is only available to Class "B" shares. Or, Mellon could be just a bit behind the curve.
I have not tried a DRIP with UPS shares, yet.

T

traveler

tooner,
As much as I love America (and dislike Walmart) we now live in a global economy. We will never return to the past. Even the very nationalistic countries of europe have figured that out and formed a union of sorts mostly for economic purposes. Goods and services will forever be produced where they are most economically made, like it or not.

One question for you... how will you ever replace your current automobile when it is time? Even in that bastian of the American economy many parts are made overseas and simply assembled here. Yes, we can make and service cars and PC's exclusively in the USA but they would neither be competetive nor in most cases affordable.

U

upsdude

One of my cars is of a foreign make. I purchased the car from an American working at an American owned dealership, and a Teamster driver delivered the car to the dealership. Im not aware of any TVs, VCRs or DVD players made in the USA. I would have a hard time doing without either of the three.

I buy American when I can, but my budget and needs have a bigger impact on my purchase decisions.

Publicly owned companies rely on profits to keep their stock prices up. To keep the profit up they are forced to either raise prices, cut cost or both. None of us want to see higher prices. Since most of us are involved in 401ks and retirement plans, we rely on high stock prices to ensure our financial future.

Traveler is right, I dont know that a totally American car can be bought.

Foreign phone centers. I ask to speak with someone else until I can fully understand him or her.

M

moreluck

Just in general, if you are looking for American-made products........John Ratzenburger (Cliff from Cheers) has a TV program called American Made or Made In America...something like that. I think it's on the Travel channel. He takes you on tours of the companies and it's interesting. Barbasol (shaving cream),Welch's Grape Juice are just a couple of them.

L

local804

Gman,
The preloaders work 4 hours take a lunch then drive for 4 hours. The most OT they get is 5 hours a week. The few that I spoke with love it even with the less money in their pocket.