Archives

M

my2cents

Tooner,

If you interested in learning more about asserting your Beck rights, check out this link from National Right to Work: http://nrtw.org/a/a_1_p.htm

The information is valid and there are sample letters you can use if you choose to resign and revoke your check-off. I can vouch for this procedure because it is the same one I used myself when I asserted my own Beck rights.

I hate to dredge up the past again and it makes me wince just thinking about this, but from a political perspective, I decided to become a Beck objector when the Teamster/DNC money laundering scandal broke wide open. Ron Carey made my decision to resign an easy one. Furthermore, I was totally disgusted by a particular negative political attack ad, from several years ago, which was financed by the AFL-CIO and ran on local television channels. It depicted one of the members of Congress as a rat. I was neutral on the candidate himself, but the thought of having any of my dues money financing this crap made me sick to my stomach. Something I would never voluntarily go along with. Moreover, one other item which I couldn't understand at the time, was how Teamster dues money ended up supporting the legalization of medical marijuana, in one of those California ballot questions. Whether one is for or against this issue, why was dues money used on an issue such as this? Add all of this up and it spelled Beck objector to me.

M

my2cents

If I'm not mistaken, unless there is some type of dovetailing between the facilities, I would think you would have to quit at the MA center and reapply as a new hire in NH. Additionally, when you quit the MA job, get a withdrawal card from the union. This may come in handy once on board in NH because you might be able to avoid paying the initiation fee all over again.

I briefly knew one guy who moved to our center as a new hire and had previously worked for UPS in another state. Once he learned he had to pay the initiation fee all over again because he didn't apply for a withdrawal card from his old local, he promptly quit.

U

ups

If I remember correctly if you sell before 3 years you have to pay taxes on the discount and I think each year the tax would be a little less. Otherwise we all would buy at a 10% discount and sell at market rate. That is what they want to avoid. Hope that helps and may not be exactly right but I think it is close.

R

rushfan

The news in our area reported he chose fedex. Now the truth comes out. As a deal with him, we should use him in a UPS commerical.

T

toonertoo

In our building the part time sups do get doubles now, but nothing for over 5 1/2 hrs, when required to stay. the sups did not check with management, but with Labor Relation of ohio and they told them to go back and talk to management. I think they told them they were exempt from OT. Goes by state I guess, but at least they get doubles. Which for the PT sup, would be like the full time job most crave. Because if you are good and learn fast, there is always someone to cover for. And gives you experience in lots of areas.

T

toonertoo

I agree, and most sups have done the job you are doing and know the physical drain, and they know you are going to school, so they know you may not have been at your best, but you can bet they watch, and know how you interact with others, how you work safely, and take pride in your work, You will do fine. Just from your posts you have one of the rare qualities that UPS likes, You care.

P

pgraening

Yup, I just got my membership card from my local. It came with a little sheet of paper with a notice:

"Failure to get a withdrawal card will subject you to paying delinquent dues for each month of paying another initiation fee when you return to work under the Teamster jurisdiction."

I would guess, that even if you move to a different local, if you've withdrawn from the other, you should be OK.

As for re-applying as a new hire, a few of my co-workers who have transferred have told me that either a) they hadn't worked a whole year, so they had to technically re-apply, or b) they transferred, but they really had to push to get it done. The guy who did b ended up keeping seniority, vacations, etc. I'm actually planning on transferring in about a year, but it's going to be to a bigger facility, so hopefully it won't be as difficult, since it will be approx. a year and a half since I started.

U

ups

Here in Central California you can transfer if you or a family member has a medical reason or a family situation. But, it has to be in the same district and you lose all your building seniority as far as bidding routes and vacation picks. You would maintain the amount of vacation weeks you get and of course your company seniority for retirrement and so on.

O

oldupsman

I have used the PPN(BCBS) from the start and have been very happy with it. It just myself and my wife and we're both 50 plus. But our coverage has just been great. Never had a problem either as far as getting something paid. And it doesn't cost us a dime. Be grateful you have UPS health benefits. It's far superior to Teamster H&W. I've got friends who are quite envious of my health coverage.

E

eeriana

i think here you can transfer within your own district but i believe you endtail not dovetail.. check your contract book.. it should be in there

O

opie

I thank everyone who so far has put their two cents in this topic. I'm sort of am having a hard time choosing, but I might take PCP Network (CIGNA). I was going to take the HMO, but didn't like that you had to stay in the network, and can never go out of network. I might still change my mind, but I'll probably wind up taking CIGNA. AETNA would cover dental and whoever else would cover vision. Plus, I think I also get life insurance, about $10,000, plus there are other goodies I can sign up for if I want. These benefits really seem to be top of the line.

T

tuknick

Any news from todays meeting? Any guess on the Dividend, I am expecting 25 cents (but wouldn't complain if we got a penny bump)

Cheers

Tuknick

W

wily_old_vet

Just checked UPS Pressroom and nothing yet. Also hope they bump the dividend.

P

parttimejon

Dale Earnhardt Jr. won the first Gatorade 125 today. While Dale Jarrett failed to crack the top 15. Jarrett's No. 88 UPS Ford apparently suffered an unknown mechanical failure and he finished 17th and had to reply on his qualifying speed to make Sunday's Daytona 500. Jarrett will start 31st. But i'm sure he'll be strong come race day.

T

taupe

Press Release Source: UPS

UPS Board Increases Quarterly Dividend
Thursday February 12, 5:11 pm ET
Directors Cite Strong Earnings Outlook

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 12, 2004--The Board of Directors of UPS (NYSE:UPS - News), citing the company's performance in 2003 and its continued positive outlook for 2004, today increased the quarterly dividend from 25-cents per share to 28-cents per share on all outstanding Class A and Class B shares.
The increase is the second dividend boost in the past 12 months. Since February 2003, the quarterly dividend has increased 33%, from 21-cents per share.

The dividend is payable March 9, 2004, to shareholders of record on Feb. 23, 2004. The board acted during a regularly scheduled meeting.

UPS is the world's largest package delivery company and a global leader in supply chain services, offering an extensive range of options for synchronizing the movement of goods, information and funds. Headquartered in Atlanta, Ga., UPS serves more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. UPS's stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange (UPS) and the company can be found on the Web at UPS.com.

Except for historical information contained herein, the statements made in this release constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Such forward-looking statements, including statements regarding the intent, belief or current expectations of UPS and its management regarding the company's strategic directions, prospects and future results, involve certain risks and uncertainties. Certain factors may cause actual results to differ materially from those contained in the forward-looking statements, including economic and other conditions in the markets in which we operate, governmental regulations, our competitive environment, strikes, work stoppages and slowdowns, increases in aviation and motor fuel prices, cyclical and seasonal fluctuations in our operating results, and other risks discussed in the company's Form 10-K and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which discussions are incorporated herein by reference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPS, Atlanta
Public Relations
Norman Black, 404-828-7593
or
Investor Relations
Teresa Finley, 404-828-7359

T

taupe

How many hours, in a calendar quarter to be eligible for benefits ?

120 ?

Is it a calendar quarter ? {end of March, etc}

R

rshoe4056

UPS raises dividend 12 percent, cites growth
Reuters, 02.12.04, 5:18 PM ET

NEW YORK, Feb 12 (Reuters) - United Parcel Service Inc. (nyse: UPS -
news - people), the world's largest package deliverer, on Thursday
raised its quarterly dividend 12 percent, its second increase in the
last year, citing the company's 2003 performance and "continued
positive outlook" for 2004.

The Atlanta-based company raised the cash dividend to 28 cents per
common share from 25 cents. The dividend was 21 cents one year ago.
UPS said the dividend is payable on March 9 to shareholders of
record as of Feb. 23.

UPS on Jan. 29 said fourth-quarter profit rose 19 percent from a
year earlier, excluding items, to $799 million, or 70 cents per
share, as revenue rose 8 percent to $8.9 billion. UPS targeted 12 to
18 percent profit growth in 2004.