Archives

E

exit63

Looks good. Usually our stock does not move much on news, will continue to waffle with the market.

Back to the tanning room in our CSTC.

B

brown39

Gotta luv it though. Market shrugs off increase and reiterated support for a strong 2004...strange but if we can hold above 71, time will lift it as it should be.

B

bonusking

How's everybody doing? This is my first post on here, and I thought this latest episode was worth warning everybody about.
Back in Oct. I had to take my annual DOT physical, I've always keept my self in GREAT shape and have never had any problems here.....on this time @ tho, as I was checking all of the yes or no "have you ever had a dizzy spell" "fainted" "bla bla bla" questions, the next to the last question was "Do you snore?"
In my haste, I checked no, but then realized, wait a minute! Everybody snores! So I crossed out no and checked yes not thinking anything about it. Low and behold, the Doctor instructs me that, I will be recieving a "temporarry DOT card" and will have to go to my own Doctor and have him schedule me for a "sleep study"!

I did the sleep study, got my regular DOT card a month ago.....NOW the doctor calls me today and informs me that, the Doctors with UPS headquarters in Atlanta have notified (the doctor) that my DOT card is NOT VALID pending further review of the sleep study! Depending on what they decide on , I may be forced to undergo SURGERY NOW! This is a freekin nightmare man....any thoughts out there?

T

toonertoo

Snoring seems associated with sleep apnea, and you can fall asleep without even knowing you are. We had a feeder driver with that problem and he worked other areas til he got it straightened out, Ill check with him and see what happened and let you know. Those questions are sometimes best left unchecked unless you are experiencing serious problems with IMO. If you are having serious problems with any of those things most people would check that out with their family doc, but anything checked yes, has to be checked out on DOT. So much for honesty.

M

mojobuc

You could have a sleep disorder thus making you a 'safety concern' on the roads.
:^)-- I am also a 'safety concern', yet the UPS DOT doc passed me, sent me to cover driving school, spent 7 days there, then they kicked me out for my 'concern'
The same day, I call my wife, and she tells me the issueing doctor called, and says he made a mistake, and to bring back the DOT card.

Rarely, however, snoring can be an indication of a serious sleep disorder (sleep apnea). People who snore and have quiet periods lasting more than 10 seconds have some degree of sleep apnea and are at risk for chronic hypoxia (a condition where there is an insufficient blood oxygen level).

Common Causes

no known cause (most common)
too much alcohol or sedation at bedtime
chronic nasal congestion
obstruction caused by enlarged adenoids and tonsils
sleep apnea

O

over9five

Honesty obviously not the best policy at your DOT physical.
Thanks for the heads up.

O

over9five

You know, thinking more on this, This is the most foolish thing Ive ever heard. We ALL snore. Does that mean every UPS driver worldwide should immediately stop driving and get a sleep study?
Of course not! Time to tell the union, file a harrasment grievance, and I would touch base with my lawyer.
There is no way you should even consider surgery. What a complete crock!

B

bonusking

No doubt 9/5....I have actually concidered the lawyer thing. And In NO WAY will I ever be honest on a DOT ANYTHING again.
I was telling this to another driver before i left the building tonight, and he asked me if I had gotten the physical done at a certain clinic, and I told him yes...he explained to me how he was having a similar problem there with the taking of his blood pressure, come to find, they were taking it wrong, by keeping his arm bent, and un-supported. Taking the BP three and for times to get it down to the "new" lower standard's for BP....right! Btw- at the sleep clinic, the tech. informed me that, snoring does not automatically mean you have sleep apnea. And the results showed that I did'nt, yet the issue is "still under review". Come on !

T

toonertoo

Also bonus king, you stated you are in great shape, and never having had any problems surgery is a last resort for anything. I had a problem (not snoring) in June, and was immediately set up for surgery in July, no further tests, or appointments JUST SURGERY> and I went home to recover and thought, No Way, Ill get a second, and maybe third and maybe fourth opinion til I get one I can live with. I found a better way of dealing with my problem, some diet changes and Im a happy girl 8 months later and still have all my stuff and no surgery. But that was never suggested, thankfully I had a doc in my family and research on the internet. some docs are quick to jump to surgery, without even finding out what is truly wrong. Sometimes I think they are like mechanics, fix this replace that then see what happens. Go to the specialsist they send you to but get several opinions and then make the choice. if they all say the same thing,well then maybe, but if they vary, you need to keep researching your problem, if there is indeed a problem. Its too important.

W

wily_old_vet

bonusking-sorry to hear about the hassle you're going through, hope it gets straightened out quickly. Is the company allowing you to work inside while this plays out? Also you said something about a "new" bp standard. I have high blood pressure and have to get a physical soon. What is the "new" standard?

O

opie

You have to be with the company 6 months, then you get benefits. I started 9/15/03 and get benefits 3/13/04. I orginally did not come to UPS for benefits etc, I just needed a job at the time. And now the benefits I will get is better than what my parents get.

M

mojobuc

Just saw a show the other night about a guy in Ohio that shipped himself in state.
Had a crate w/ a slide open top, a camera inside the crate, his gameboy and some food. Think he did it as a school assignment.

P

peacock71

WKMAC:

Did you make it onto the portal? What did you think about it?

P71

P

peacock71

The tide will come in soon for UPS and all the boats will rise with it. We have been proving and reproving the strength of the company since we went public, but the public has yet to respond.
I think that will change as they start to see the results come in from globalization, logistics, IT systems, and great financial management.

Go UPS!
P71

T

traveler

There seems to be a large number of "Puts" on the stock. I think as their expiration date approaches you will see a bump in the price due to the need to cover these puts. There are also two "strong sell" advisories out there. I don't know which brokerages have the strong sell warnings but I feel that as long as they are present that will weigh on the market price. Yes, some folks DO listen to the ANALysts. The market was, is, and always will be fickle. Just because you have a strong company with excellent and consistant results, constantly improving dividends, great profits, inovative ideas, etc. etc. does not mean the street will like them. Silly, but true!

By the way, does anyone out there know the identity of those two strong sells?

R

robonono

Good question, traveler. I have not been able to find very many analyst ratings, but here are a few:

Analyst Recommendation Updated
Schwab Buy 02/06/04
Goldman Sachs Outperform/Neutral 12/11/03
Standard & Poors Accumulate 11/19/03
Argus HOLD 02/12/04
First Call Cons. Buy 02/12/04

(Message edited by robonono on February 13, 2004)

R

retired

From Schaeffers Research:

Yesterday afternoon, United Parcel Service said it would boost its quarterly dividend by 12 percent to 28 cents per share from 25 cents. The first payout is scheduled for March 9 for shareholders of record by February 23. This news has done little to boost UPS shares, which have been shuffling lower since the end of last year. The equity is now poised to endure its first weekly close below its 20-week trendline since September 2003. SOIR for UPS reached an annual peak on January 15 but, two days later following January options expiration, the indicator dropped to 0.46, in the 48th annual percentile. The number of shorted UPS shares decreased by 10 percent last month to 22.57 million, which is still an impressive reading. The resultant short-interest ratio on UPS remains high at more than 11 days to cover.