retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Of course now, all a driver has to do is punch in the numbers and it will tell him if it is available or not.
Unless it just happened, and hadn't made it into the system yet. Also, some drivers will drop a dolly at the dolly pad, knowing they drug a hose the last 10 miles, and didn't want to report it.

Indecisi0n

This is why it's so very important to do a good pretrip when someone else hooks up your set.
This includes:
-pull the tractor park valve;
-hook up lines and cord;
-give trailers air (valve);
-pull hand lever down and secure it with seatbelt then;
-do your walk around listening for air gushing out because someone pinched your service line.

Has Inde ever tried to stop a set that doesn't have brakes on the rear trailer? I hope he doesn't have to. Not fun.
I had a driver tell me had one leak and when he hit the brakes he about :censored2: himself trying to stop with just the tractor brakes. When I do doubles I go very slow and triple check everything.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Unless it just happened, and hadn't made it into the system yet. Also, some drivers will drop a dolly at the dolly pad, knowing they drug a hose the last 10 miles, and didn't want to report it.
so true.

this is what I heard a couple times a year."how come you have so much break down time in the yard at the shop?" " most of the other drivers don't have to go to the shop as much as you!"

I just said , maybe these other drivers are not doing their jobs or are too lazy to do their jobs right. they thought they could intimidate me. you think they would would have learned after the first couple years.

Indecisi0n

When we were looking for a dolly the other day there were 6 dollys and 4 of them were bad for different reasons and non of them red tagged, ugh.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
When we were looking for a dolly the other day there were 6 dollys and 4 of them were bad for different reasons and non of them red tagged, ugh.

Get used to it. We've got a whole roster of lazy A-holes that act like they are working for $10 an hour. Like I was saying earlier about tucking that dolly light cord in the hole. You already have to disconnect it from the trailer and back on the dolly. If it's too much trouble for you to put the cord in the hole when your hands are RIGHT THERE, that says a lot about you as a driver.

We've got drivers that don't pre or post trip.
We've got drivers that run 11HR, hourly jobs in 8.5 to 9 hours.
We've got drivers that never sign off seals, never leave seals in the trailers for by-pass loads.
We've got drivers that won't get equipment in violation fixed.
We've got drivers that are constantly in a hurry because they're afraid to stand up for themselves.

We've got too many drivers that, for whatever reasons, take no pride in doing the job the right and safe way. I don't understand that.

Indecisi0n

Some of the new ones are so heavy-duty they won't bend. I find a used zip tie and stick it between length wise before closing and it works like a charm.
With everything we use zip ties for to hold our :censored2:ty equipment together with I feel UPS should produce its own zip tie brand.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Get used to it. We've got a whole roster of lazy A-holes that act like they are working for $10 an hour. Like I was saying earlier about tucking that dolly light cord in the hole. You already have to disconnect it from the trailer and back on the dolly. If it's too much trouble for you to put the cord in the hole when your hands are RIGHT THERE, that says a lot about you as a driver.

We've got drivers that don't pre or post trip.
We've got drivers that run 11HR, hourly jobs in 8.5 to 9 hours.
We've got drivers that never sign off seals, never leave seals in the trailers for by-pass loads.
We've got drivers that won't get equipment in violation fixed.
We've got drivers that are constantly in a hurry because they're afraid to stand up for themselves.

We've got too many drivers that, for whatever reasons, take no pride in doing the job the right and safe way. I don't understand that.
Dracula

It's never going to change and after I realized that I just tried to be the most professional driver I could be and not stress over it so much. When I was starting I admired the true professionals in feeder and wanted to be like them.

Believe me , people notice that quality quickly whether they say something or not. Some of the new people will notice also and you no doubt are a good influence for every one. They asked me to be a mentor and I was the last year I was on. Took new drivers on ride-alongs to show them as the center manager asked me " what I know"

he asked me to stay on a little longer when I was retiring but I had had enough. Wished they had started that program years earlier as it was very satisfying to help new drivers .

plus I did not like how they say "leave money on the table " pension money.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
48D4D4AA-2047-48B8-9758-2254709A461A.jpeg
Dracula

It's never going to change and after I realized that I just tried to be the most professional driver I could be and not stress over it so much. When I was starting I admired the true professionals in feeder and wanted to be like them.

Believe me , people notice that quality quickly whether they say something or not. Some of the new people will notice also and you no doubt are a good influence for every one. They asked me to be a mentor and I was the last year I was on. Took new drivers on ride-alongs to show them as the center manager asked me " what I know"

he asked me to stay on a little longer when I was retiring but I had had enough. Wished they had started that program years earlier as it was very satisfying to help new drivers .

plus I did not like how they say "leave money on the table " pension money.

Coldworld

I had a vet driver tell me he backs up until he hits the dolly then pulls up. Haha. I just try to use my gloves as a reference.
The glove method that mgt teaches us...lol... in the dark I pretty much thought it was a joke although I did understand the premise behind it...

Coldworld

I have seen guys use flashlights,discarded highway reflectors,gloves.
I started leaving gloves behind the first few months so I said friend it to the OJ Simpson glove method.... I am pretty good about getting close enough to pop the dolly on the trailer, usually within a foot or so...

barnyard

KTM rider
Your correct. During the day it's ok but at night it's pointless.

Put the gloves out, turn your flashlight on, put it on the gloves. When your trailer sidewall lights up, stop. I have a tendency to stop way short and will use the flashlight until I get used to building sets again.