Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yeah, I heard that tip in a satellite hub my first year driving, but I was still real green, and didn’t really understand what the guy was talking about. And the idea of locking up the trailer brakes back then made me nervous.

This is the first I’ve heard of it since then, and it makes sense. Worth trying, but I just never engage the trailer brakes when I’m parking. I’ve never had the tractor brakes now hold a trailer or trailers.

trickpony1

I set the tractor brake and check it several times as I get out of the tractor.

Sometimes, while standing on the ground, I open the door and shine my flashlight on park valves just to check again.

I get paid by the hour.

trickpony1

but I just never engage the trailer brakes when I’m parking.

Neither do I.
Different situations call for different actions.

-At a destination hub, I don't dry the brakes. Once I spot the trailer, it's their problem.
-At a podunk extended center, I might dry the brakes...it depends on how the people treat me.
-If I'm parking, for a short period of time, and will continue on with the same trailers...I don't set the trailer brakes.
-At a meet point, I might dry the brakes just to save the meet driver the hassle.

Whatever the case, don't be afraid to check that tractor park valve several times.

P

pickup

I hate talking on the phone. Text me, I'll answer when I get somewhere.
We usually have a conference call going all night, people drop in and out. Nice to have someone to chat with if you're tired and struggling a little bit.
We usually have a conference call going all night, people drop in and out. Nice to have someone to chat with if you're tired and struggling a little bit.

Hey if you can do that and keep your attention on the road. More power to you.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Like I said, I’ve never done this. I don’t doubt it works, but if the end game of “drying” the trailer brakes is just to engage the brakes when you’re done, it just seems like an unnecessary step for little gain.

I mean, besides the fact we are trained not to engage the trailer brakes when we park—or at least that’s how we were—in snowy conditions you can dry your brakes, but most times the undercarriage of the trailer is dripping with moisture. It seems like it wouldn’t take much to drip on your pads and drums to refreeze them after you’ve stopped.

It’s just something you generally don’t have to deal with if you just don’t set your trailer brakes.

Indecisi0n

When you guys do your medical for DOT do you just put it in the envelope and send it away? I heard of stories if guys paperwork getting lost and them being downgraded only to have to take the CDL test again . Is there anyway to make sure after you send it off that it's been received ?

Johney

Pineapple King
When you guys do your medical for DOT do you just put it in the envelope and send it away? I heard of stories if guys paperwork getting lost and them being downgraded only to have to take the CDL test again . Is there anyway to make sure after you send it off that it's been received ?
If you mean for the DMV, I just go to their website and download a copy, wait a day or two and go back and recheck my license to see if they got the updated one.