Johney

Doesn't make sense since I just had mine which is why I am confused. I think their paperwork is friend'ed up.
Ok when I get mine done I have to text a picture to my sup and they put into the UPS system that I'm up to date, as far as the DMV(which you don't need to do here for non CDL)I just do it online.

barnyard

KTM rider
I do it online. You do the physical, the Doc fills out the form and gives you your DOT medical card. I turn the paperwork into the woman at my center that deals with that stuff. Then I go online and fill out the dealio that is online (for my state) and then I check it 2 weeks later to make sure that it sticks. The online thing always works. I have done it 3 times and those 3 times I was on a route that delivered to a county courthouse, so I was able to go to the DMV to check. It was taken care of every time that I checked.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Doesn't make sense since I just had mine which is why I am confused. I think their paperwork is friend'ed up.

Did you have your physical while you were still in bundles?

Package car drivers do not have to certify with the DMV, only CDL holders.

If yours was done in packages, and you are now in feeders, and the DMV caught up with you and they need your medical card on file, you do not have to retake the physical.

The only thing you needed for feeders was a drug test, but the DMV only needs your medical card.

If you took your physical in feeders, since you are fairly new, maybe you did not realize that you have to certify with the DMV whenever you renew your card.

Just send them a copy of the medical card or go to their website and do it online.

I say medical card, but I believe now it is an 8x11 sheet of paper.

P

pickup

I’m in NJ and as far as I know , there is no online option.

I get mailed a letter from MVC(motor vehicle commission) about 2 months before my dot expires and am told just that: that my card is expiring. I get a pre addressed envelope in which I am to include a copy of my new dot card and a one page form to fill out.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In Ohio, we can do it online.

We get the first notice of an expiring card, get our physical, submit the new card online, and then receive the confirmation letter.

For you guys that cannot do it online, there has to be some provision in place in case the mail loses the card on the way to the DMV.

I understand that if they do not receive it on time, that you may not be able to drive a semi, but I can't see you having to retake your CDL test.

Should just be able to send it in again, and once received, you should be OK to drive again.

BMV Med Cert Required.jpg

BMV Med Cert Acknowledged.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We can do it 4 different ways: Go to DMV in person, mail it in, fax it to them, or upload the info on their website. I usually fax it or upload straight to their website.

trickpony1

I fax mine twice, on two separate days, from the local "UPS Store" type business. I then email them asking if they got it. When they respond, by email, that they got it, I print that email and keep it.

We had a driver fax his in. They said they didn't get it. He had to take all his written tests again.

I wouldn't mess around with this. I'm told you have 30 days from the expiration date on your Med card to get a current Med Card to the DMV.

Indecisi0n

I’m in NJ and as far as I know , there is no online option.

I get mailed a letter from MVC(motor vehicle commission) about 2 months before my dot expires and am told just that: that my card is expiring. I get a pre addressed envelope in which I am to include a copy of my new dot card and a one page form to fill out.
Yes this. So I get my physical then fax them a copy of the card? Normally in package after a physical they send in the paperwork. I guess since this is for MVC its different where as I have to send them a copy of my new card.

P

pickup

Yes this. So I get my physical then fax them a copy of the card? Normally in package after a physical they send in the paperwork. I guess since this is for MVC its different where as I have to send them a copy of my new card.

Since you typed “MVC”, i assume you are in NJ, so what was true for me is true for you. I do have a co worker that claims he walked his copy into a local MVC office in person just so nothing got lost in the mail but I never tried that.

Once you mail it in to fine folk in Trenton, you should receive within 10 business days (usually 5) a letter stating we got your DOT card and you’re good for the length of duration of that card.

Indecisi0n

Since you typed “MVC”, i assume you are in NJ, so what was true for me is true for you. I do have a co worker that claims he walked his copy into a local MVC office in person just so nothing got lost in the mail but I never tried that.

Once you mail it in to fine folk in Trenton, you should receive within 10 business days (usually 5) a letter stating we got your DOT card and you’re good for the length of duration of that card.
Ok good to know . This way I know if I don't get a confirmation I'll contact them. I don't trust motor vehicle at all which is why I am asking all these questiiks. The medical forms are normally handled by the doctor but with a CDL do they give us a copy to mail in as well for MVC?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Normally in package after a physical they send in the paperwork.

For package car drivers, the DMV,BMV or MVC, whatever your state calls it, does not need your DOT physical card on file. The Doctors office sends the paperwork to UPS so they have your physical it on file.

I guess since this is for MVC its different where as I have to send them a copy of my new card.

The Doctors office still sends the paperwork to UPS, but since you now have a CDL, the DMV, BMC or MVC, whatever your state calls it, needs a copy of your DOT card on file. UPS does not send this to them, it is up to you.

Without this card on file, they will suspend your CDL.

Indecisi0n

For package car drivers, the DMV,BMV or MVC, whatever your state calls it, does not need your DOT physical card on file. The Doctors office sends the paperwork to UPS so they have your physical it on file.

The Doctors office still sends the paperwork to UPS, but since you now have a CDL, the DMV, BMC or MVC, whatever your state calls it, needs a copy of your DOT card on file. UPS does not send this to them, it is up to you.

Without this card on file, they will suspend your CDL.
Got it. So doc keeps medical exam paperwork but a copy of my new DOT card must go to MVC/DMV.with the address they provided .

P

pickup

Ok good to know . This way I know if I don't get a confirmation I'll contact them. I don't trust motor vehicle at all which is why I am asking all these questiiks. The medical forms are normally handled by the doctor but with a CDL do they give us a copy to mail in as well for MVC?

I think I walked out with two copies but I think I might have made an extra copy on my home printer/copier and to tell you the truth, I believe my homemade copy and what I took from the doctor were indistinguishable.

Even if you get one copy, make a duplicate and then send it off.

Yeah I just looked at dot card in my wallet, it is the original I walked out with and it looks like a copy.

ManInBrown

Great info on the DOT card and DMV. I had no idea. So can we bring a copy of the DOT card to the DMV office in person and have them put on file? I’d rather not take chances hoping it doesn’t get lost in the mail.

Indecisi0n

Great info on the DOT card and DMV. I had no idea. So can we bring a copy of the DOT card to the DMV office in person and have them put on file? I’d rather not take chances hoping it doesn’t get lost in the mail.
Yes, has to go to the DMV address on the envelope (your local DMV).

Indecisi0n

What envelope? Can’t I just go to my local office? The main office that oversees all DMV’s in NJ is an hour from me.
Guys around me go to their local DMV. Its the same address as the return address on the provided envelope. Not sure if you can go to the main office.