VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Oh no?? Read #1, after point A&B, then let me know what you think

No.

"(1) All lower corners of the intermodal container must be secured to the container chassis with securement devices or integral locking devices that cannot unintentionally become unfastened while the vehicle is in transit."

That paragraph is referring to the built in pins and the safety latches that hold the pins in place.

Since you did a little reading, read a little more:
"(2) The securement devices must restrain the container from moving more than 1.27 center manager (1/2 in) forward, more than 1.27 center manager (1/2 in) aft, more than 1.27 center manager (1/2 in) to the right, more than 1.27 center manager (1/2 in) to the left, or more than 2.54 center manager (1 in) vertically."

Do you believe a ziptie is capable of restraining 60k lbs of container to those specs?

Last edited:

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
I think a zip tie falls under the category as a "securement device"

Anyone that believes a ziptie is going to do anything to keep a container in place, other than keeping a safety latch from bouncing and becoming disconnected from the retaining pin, is putting their life on the line.
A improperly function pin and corresponding safety latch cannot be cured by the addition of a ziptie.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
No.

"(1) All lower corners of the intermodal container must be secured to the container chassis with securement devices or integral locking devices that cannot unintentionally become unfastened while the vehicle is in transit."

That paragraph is referring to the built in pins and the safety latches that hold the pins in place.
The pins and safety latches are the "integral locking devices", the issue is making sure that they can't become unfastened. They don't mention zip ties because you don't have to specifically use zip ties to secure them (you could use shoe laces if you wanted to), we just use zip ties because it's the simplest solution.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
The pins and safety latches are the "integral locking devices", the issue is making sure that they can't become unfastened. They don't mention zip ties because you don't have to specifically use zip ties to secure them (you could use shoe laces if you wanted to), we just use zip ties because it's the simplest solution.

"Zip ties are not mentioned in the DOT requirements."

I believe that's what I said in #313.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
I know, but it came off like you were saying that we weren't actually required to secure the safety latches to the pins.

The safety latch must be engaged to the pin. Yes.

Penaltys, at least in my state of MN for not using zipties to keep the safety latch in place, No.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The safety latch must be engaged to the pin. Yes.

Penaltys, at least in my state of MN for not using zipties to keep the safety latch in place, No.
Is that what your feeder management is telling you? Because that's definitely not what they're telling us.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Is that what your feeder management is telling you? Because that's definitely not what they're telling us.

I don't worry about what management says. I worry about what the state and federal laws say.

Since they're telling you you're required to use zipties, what have they told you about what a good/bad set of pins and latches look like?
Zipties seem to be the UPS band-aid answer to the real problem of improperly functioning/damaged equipment.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I don't worry about what management says. I worry about what the state and federal laws say.

Since they're telling you you're required to use zipties, what have they told you about what a good/bad set of pins and latches look like?
Zipties seem to be the UPS band-aid answer to the real problem of improperly functioning/damaged equipment.
If I find bad pins/latches I go to the shop or get a chassis swap, but I see that as a separate issue. You said yourself in an earlier post that zipties can prevent a safety latch from bouncing off or becoming disconnected and that can happen even with a good pins/latches. I don't really want to argue about this btw, my only concerns are being safe and being in compliance.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
If I find bad pins/latches I go to the shop or get a chassis swap, but I see that as a separate issue. You said yourself in an earlier post that zipties can prevent a safety latch from bouncing off or becoming disconnected and that can happen even with a good pins/latches. I don't really want to argue about this btw, my only concerns are being safe and being in compliance.

I agree. My point is that zip ties are only to prevent the safety latches from bouncing while going down the road. However , at least here, there use is not mandatory. Also, anyone who feels they're safe because they have focused on zip ties instead of the real issue of locks and pins is only fooling themselves.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
VonDutch, I'm not going to argue on here with someone who obviously knows everything. If the latches are latched correctly already on your pretrip, the ziptie is just a backup. Some folks can just roll with a positive latch. My original point was that to check closely on your pre-trip, because at least down here, if the container is set on a chassis at the railyard, the hostler at UP wont get out of his shifter to latch anything down. That was my original point to make sure newbies knew. That being said, I've never had one of those industrial zip ties to fail. In my 29 years in feeders. Since I'm retired now, I don't have to worry about any of that chit.

MaceFremonti

The last thing you do before hopping out of the trachtah !! Double check again that you have pulled out the brakes !!!!

You only forget to do that once.

After that the horrible creaking sound that your equipment makes as it slowly rolls away haunts your mind for MONTHS.

That's also the only time you'll see a Feeder driver actually RUN.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You only forget to do that once.

After that the horrible creaking sound that your equipment makes as it slowly rolls away haunts your mind for MONTHS.

That's also the only time you'll see a Feeder driver actually RUN.
We also used to run for the Free cake that we USED to get on Founders day !!