superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
He asked if they were pushing for it the hubs/centers and the answer is yes, they were trying to go to a 4 x 10 schedule for some of our feeder runs.

BTW, you are not a real feeder driver until you have gone through a Peak season.

I'm TRYING to bang Jennifer Love Hewitt, but until I successfully bed her, I haven't done anything.

BTW, Yawn

Johney

Pineapple King
Not to hijack the thread, but quick question for the feeder drivers here. Are they pushing for four ten hour days at your hub/center?
A little less than half of our feeder runs are 4x10. Except in December they all go to 5 days a week. Some Sun-Thurs others Mon-Fri

MaceFremonti

We lost quite a few 4x10s on our March bid because we were so short on drivers. Most of them are back in for our September bid.

As far as work life balance it is the greatest thing ever.

I havent started class yet...whats it mean to "go on paper"? and is there a sticky for new feeder guys to ask general questions? ugh...I haven't felt like a fish out of water since I first went driving :D
Going on paper is means of doing the paper log book. A log is required if you are going 100 air miles away from your home center. Luckily most tractors keep a electronic log updated in the IVIS or feeder data terminal in the tractor. But it is still good to know how to fill one out. The only problem is UPS doesn't provide a way to print a paper copy of the logs for the last 7 days if a DOT officer were to ask and be strick about it.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
He asked if they were pushing for it the hubs/centers and the answer is yes, they were trying to go to a 4 x 10 schedule for some of our feeder runs.

BTW, you are not a real feeder driver until you have gone through a Peak season.

How many are under your belt?

barnyard

KTM rider
I spoke to a feeder guy in MT that said he used to run a 4-10 schedule, but his hub was eliminating them in favor of 5 day weeks. This was last year though.

MoarTape

We lost quite a few 4x10s on our March bid because we were so short on drivers. Most of them are back in for our September bid.

As far as work life balance it is the greatest thing ever.

We have 220 drivers and 130 runs. The company is jacked off because the Union wouldn't let them have Sunday runs years ago. They also won't agree to the four tens.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Anyone that believes a ziptie is going to do anything to keep a container in place, other than keeping a safety latch from bouncing and becoming disconnected from the retaining pin, is putting their life on the line.
A improperly function pin and corresponding safety latch cannot be cured by the addition of a ziptie.
No, but it keeps the latch tight to the pin. Most old railboxes have sloppy retaining latches. Zip ties hold them in place.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I agree. My point is that zip ties are only to prevent the safety latches from bouncing while going down the road. However , at least here, there use is not mandatory. Also, anyone who feels they're safe because they have focused on zip ties instead of the real issue of locks and pins is only fooling themselves.
Straight from a Diesel Bears mouth. It is up to the descretion of the officer about the pins, latches and corners. If they are in good working order, zipties are not required. But, if the latches are sloppy, bent, etc. It is a hundred bucks a corner. He said a ziptie is sufficient to secure a loose latch to the pin and avoid a fine

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I don't know about anyone else, but I am not leaving a $400 fine to the descretion of the DOT officer. I ziptie them all.

I've pulled brand spanking new railboxes that had the pins and safety latches in perfect working order. I ziptied them anyway. I don't want to take any chances.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Anyone that believes a ziptie is going to do anything to keep a container in place, other than keeping a safety latch from bouncing and becoming disconnected from the retaining pin, is putting their life on the line.
A improperly function pin and corresponding safety latch cannot be cured by the addition of a ziptie.
The zipties do not keep the container in place. They keep a loose pin or safety latch in place. The pin keeps the container in place. The safety latch keeps the pin from moving.

If they are real bad, sure, have them fixed. But a ziptie can secure a loose safety latch to keep the pin from moving.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That pretty much what I said in the quote you replied to.
You said

I just pointed out that a ziptie does not keep a container in place, but it can secure an improperly functioning safety latch.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
You said

I just pointed out that a ziptie does not keep a container in place, but it can secure an improperly functioning safety latch.

No it can not. It can secure a PROPERLY functioning latch. If it is bent, broken, improperly mounted. the wrong type for the trailer, etc, then a ziptie is useless.

MaceFremonti

A lot of guys seem to think just having a zip tie in the area of the latch is sufficient. I've seen a ton of railboxes on property with the front pins zip tied OPEN or the rears zip tied backwards where tou can just turn it and it cones free from the katch and tie.

Friend of mine brought three loads from the railyard and THEN asked me if we were supposed to do anything with the rear pins. Supe only told him to zip tje front......