retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When they went nationwide class A cdl a couple of years ago, they offered the endorsements for free. I took the tests for doubles/triples, hazmat, tanker, and school bus. I figured what the heck..never got to use them, except doubles. I figured, what the heck. About the only thing I couldn't legally drive was the irreg train. Shhhhh, Sometimes when I'd get off on Saturday mornings, walking thru the empty building to the gate, I'd jump on one of those and drive it around.:innocent:

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
When they went nationwide class A cdl a couple of years ago, they offered the endorsements for free. I took the tests for doubles/triples, hazmat, tanker, and school bus. I figured what the heck..never got to use them, except doubles. I figured, what the heck. About the only thing I couldn't legally drive was the irreg train. Shhhhh, Sometimes when I'd get off on Saturday mornings, walking thru the empty building to the gate, I'd jump on one of those and drive it around.:innocent:
Same here, I have all the endorsements.

MaceFremonti

Feeder Tip #77

As per some of my more experienced contemporaries.....

Don't drag trailers off of doors. Take the time to release the brakes and move the trailer like normal.

MaceFremonti

Feeder (and Life) Tip #3

When using the facilities in an unfamiliar building or run down truck stop make sure that there is enough toilet paper available before you start your business. This will alleviate the logistical nightmare of trying to track some down while still in need of some!

barnyard

KTM rider
Pretty sure this week is my last week covering a route for the year. Last night it was drizzling for the 1st couple of legs and I turned on the mirror heaters when I got close to the yard. Dried up the mirrors and I could see very nicely.

Great tip.

I usually have a very hard time sleeping on my 1st overnight. This morning, I took 1 Advil PM as soon as I got home, went to bed at 7:30 and fell sound asleep. 1st time I have ever gotten a good day's sleep on the 1st day.

QKRSTKR

Feeder Tip #77

As per some of my more experienced contemporaries.....

Don't drag trailers off of doors. Take the time to release the brakes and move the trailer like normal.
But then I have to climb back in and out of the tractor. How else am I gonna get fat.

Seriously, some guys drag them way off the door. I do the pup sometimes if it's not full, test tugging. Make sure it's hooked.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Dragging them off the door enough to get your paperwork out seems to be the norm. Yeah, it saves one trip up and down your tractor steps. Used to it would get a warning letter if someone saw you do it. Another reason not to do it is about 2 or 3 trailers I'd pull during my work day, I'd have hell getting the legs cranked up or down because they are bent ever so slightly as a result of dragging them. I believe that stubborn landing gear over the years contributed to my shoulder injury, even though the straw that broke the camel's back was done pulling a 5th wheel on uneven ground.

excessivehours

Now in the drug test pool
I saw a new guy yesterday doing his pre-trip at the outbound gate. I pulled up behind him as he was stopped at the gate, I thought he entered leave on the IVIS and had to wait a sec to see if there were any hazards. Then he gets out of the tractor and starts walking around kicking tires on the trailer. As he got to the rear of the trailer and saw me behind him waiting he held up his finger giving me the "wait a minute" sign. Really?

I just shook my head and smiled and went through another outbound lane. I wonder what he would have done at that point if he found a problem.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I saw a new guy yesterday doing his pre-trip at the outbound gate. I pulled up behind him as he was stopped at the gate, I thought he entered leave on the IVIS and had to wait a sec to see if there were any hazards. Then he gets out of the tractor and starts walking around kicking tires on the trailer. As he got to the rear of the trailer and saw me behind him waiting he held up his finger giving me the "wait a minute" sign. Really?

I just shook my head and smiled and went through another outbound lane. I wonder what he would have done at that point if he found a problem.

We're supposed to wait to see hazards before we leave? Hmm, interesting

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Sounds like someone who took too long to get to the gate, hit leave, then did his pretrip on his on road time. How inconsiderate to his fellow employees who also want to go in and out in a timely manner and can't because the lane is tied up. As a rookie, sometimes these guys need to be pulled aside and told how the cow eats the cabbage. lol

excessivehours

Now in the drug test pool
We're supposed to wait to see hazards before we leave? Hmm, interesting
I meant when you press leave on the IVIS it will take a few secs to check to see if there any hazardous materials and which trailer they are in. Don't you note which trailer you are pulling has hazards in it when you leave the gate?

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Next time sit there and let him take all the time he needs. Go on delay and when mgmt asks say some unknown driver was pretripping in the outgate.

barnyard

KTM rider
I meant when you press leave on the IVIS it will take a few secs to check to see if there any hazardous materials and which trailer they are in. Don't you note which trailer you are pulling has hazards in it when you leave the gate?

I wait for the hazards to come up. While I am waiting, I turn the radio to AUX and press play on my Ipod (I listen to podcasts when I am on the road, broadcast radio in the yard.)

barnyard

KTM rider
I think he meant safety hazards in his equipment, not hazmats in his trailers. Just guessin.

Now, when you hit 'leave', the Ivis thinks for a bit and then a message comes up with if there are hazards in your trailers. Must have started in June, cause it was not there in May and was in July. Loaders no longer have to pull hazmat papers and drivers do not have to carry papers in their pocket.

If there is a problem on road, emergency responders have to call an 800 number to have the hazardous manifest faxed to them. The instructions for that are in the same pouch as the insurance stuff, extra log pages, and Ivis instructions for law enforcement.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Ah, ok, I injured myself 4-23-13, and that was the last day I drove UPS equipment. Anything that happened since then is new technology to me. I never had to take the 30 minute break that is required now either. The post in question said the newbie was kicking his tires at the phone. That keeps the guy behind him from possibly leaving on time. I remember when they were experimenting with trailers that locked and unlocked when you passed thru the gate, trying to bypass the guard time cutting seals. What'll they think of next?