excessivehours

Now in the drug test pool
Now, when you hit 'leave', the Ivis thinks for a bit and then a message comes up with if there are hazards in your trailers. Must have started in June, cause it was not there in May and was in July. Loaders no longer have to pull hazmat papers and drivers do not have to carry papers in their pocket.

If there is a problem on road, emergency responders have to call an 800 number to have the hazardous manifest faxed to them. The instructions for that are in the same pouch as the insurance stuff, extra log pages, and Ivis instructions for law enforcement.
Thanks for explaining that. I assumed everyone knew what I meant. When we were trained we were told to note which trailers if any had hazards loaded. Then if there was a incident on road we have the 1-800 number to call in the pouch with info for the emergency responders.

excessivehours

Another thing I learned, is that if your IVIS is down or have no IVIS you need to call dispatch when you are leaving the yard with the trailer numbers you are pulling out. Apparently they like to know this info. I caused a bit of stir when I was in a rental tractor with no IVIS. I hit the gate and never stopped. Dispatch went to defcon 5 about 2 hours later wondering if I ever left and if I left, what trailers I had. Now after a talk with my sup I know to call dispatch when there is no IVIS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Another thing I learned, is that if your IVIS is down or have no IVIS you need to call dispatch when you are leaving the yard with the trailer numbers you are pulling out. Apparently they like to know this info. I caused a bit of stir when I was in a rental tractor with no IVIS. I hit the gate and never stopped. Dispatch went to defcon 5 about 2 hours later wondering if I ever left and if I left, what trailers I had. Now after a talk with my sup I know to call dispatch when there is no IVIS.

Wouldn't this be the common sense thing to do?

excessivehours

I have common sense, that's why I went into feeders.

Can't you go back to one of the threads about how cool you are to go in early and sort your truck before start time off the clock?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have common sense, that's why I went into feeders.

Can't you go back to one of the threads about how cool you are to go in early and sort your truck before start time off the clock?

You sound like the kind of guy who would have no problem parking a set of triples on the shoulder of a major interstate rather than at a rest area or weigh station.

MaceFremonti

Left NEWPA one day and outbounded as usual. Unbeknowst to me my IVIS had lost both it's network and local connections. Five and a half hours later as I am returning my tractor keys NEWPA calls my dispatch office MELTING DOWN about how I am still showing as being on property there...

excessivehours

You sound like the kind of guy who would have no problem parking a set of triples on the shoulder of a major interstate rather than at a rest area or weigh station.
So if I loose air pressure or get a blow out on the interstate you say I should keep driving to the nearest rest area or weigh station. Although you say I'm an idiot I believe it would be safer to pull to the shoulder on the interstate while I still have control of the rig.

You sure know what you are talking about.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
The first week I was in feeders, I still had a rider with me. He let me go to the gate all alone while he took some kind of break. He jumped in at the gate and asked me if I was ready to go. I said yeah. There is so much going through your mind, so many mental checklists to run through. I forgot to call out. This was before cellphones. Dispatch freaked out. My hot loads still showed on the yard hours later. Bells and whistles went off. Emergency yard checks occurred. Phones rang all over. I was a dummy. It happens. I only did it that once. Only mistake I made in 38 years. lol:oops:

excessivehours

It's the little lessons learned. Some of the things that seem obvious can be lost in the moment of learning. Like making sure the landing gear is down when you pull the pin and drive off. What feeder driver ever forgets how loud that boom was.

Indecisi0n

Why do feeders not take time to lift those leg thingys ? I have seen multi drivers try to drive around the yard only to have the legs catch the ground and stop the truck. I even saw one get stuck out on the road for this same reason.

MoarTape

Why do feeders not take time to lift those leg thingys ? I have seen multi drivers try to drive around the yard only to have the legs catch the ground and stop the truck. I even saw one get stuck out on the road for this same reason.

If you're shifting, it's a waste of time to crank the landing gear all the way up. I usually only go a couple inches so I can clear in the primary.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Yup, been there, done that. I left with a set and forgot to outbound. They called a few hours later asking about the trailers and dolly.....Oops, I forgot

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Like making sure the landing gear is down when you pull the pin and drive off. What feeder driver ever forgets how loud that boom was.

I was dropping a set in Christiana, DE and in my haste, I swore I was all disconnected from my equipment, well I was but the legs were still up :annoyed2: Made it even better that 2 feeders who were shifting in the yard were standing right there. Oopsie

barnyard

KTM rider
When adding a leg, it is mucho easier to type in a SLIC instead of the abbreviation for the slic, so I type in the slic #. When I inbound, I always have to call in, because the IVIS rejects the info. Why can't the slic # be substituted for the abbreviation?? Makes no sense.

MaceFremonti

I was dropping a set in Christiana, DE and in my haste, I swore I was all disconnected from my equipment, well I was but the legs were still up :annoyed2: Made it even better that 2 feeders who were shifting in the yard were standing right there. Oopsie

I once saw a 30+ year driver forget to put his legs down when he was dropping a set. I didn't even have time to try to stop him before he pulled out from under his front trailer and BOOM! on the ground.

He simply smiled, stopped a shifter driving by, pointed at the grounded trailer and then drove off....still smiling!

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
I once saw a 30+ year driver forget to put his legs down when he was dropping a set. I didn't even have time to try to stop him before he pulled out from under his front trailer and BOOM! on the ground.

He simply smiled, stopped a shifter driving by, pointed at the grounded trailer and then drove off....still smiling!

The shifter needed to also point at the set, make the "cranking of legs" motion, and the drive away himself. Shifters aren't a maid service.