Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
And then we have the infamous hit "Leave" from a rail yard and while the information is digesting and I am already 1/4 of a mile down the road,then I see this message: "Hazmats info not available, Contact Dispatch immediately.
I can't stop at that point and I don't see what Dispatch is going to do about this fact now. I assume that in any event, the 1 800 number will have the info.
And then you call dispatch and they say "I don't know". I guess that's what I'll tell the first responders when they show up...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I heard from another driver that we have a 15 minute 'cushion' before your name ends up on a report. I had 1 pull that was 5 minutes late and I asked about it and the supe said that he did not see my name on any reports.
Honestly when I was on the q list I never paid attention to pull times, I just showed up at my start time and started doing my thing. I would cover a run for a couple weeks and still not know the pull times.

barnyard

KTM rider
Honestly when I was on the q list I never paid attention to pull times, I just showed up at my start time and started doing my thing. I would cover a run for a couple weeks and still not know the pull times.

That is the way I did it when I 1st qualified. In our region, the big push has been 'on time network' which means meeting the pull times. 1 of our runs was changed pretty substantially. It gets the last leg to our building earlier and there is a meet with another driver that has to finish a 220 mile run. That meet is 30 minutes earlier now.

There is also pressure on the loaders to be all wrapped so we can meet the pull times. When the 'on time network' pressure started, the load was having a heck of a time meeting pull times. Last week, I only waited for 1 pull, the rest were ready when I hooked. All but 1 day, I beat the pull time by 5-10 minutes.

The driver that I met loved it and the preload at my building were very happy. I got all my break done at the meet point (deli sandwich, really good sandwich shop at the meet point) and really did not feel rushed or any of it. Stayed on task and got the job done. It was one of the easiest weeks that I have had covering feeders.

edited to add: the most pressure that I have seen is on the loaders. The routes that I covered always waited for the loaders to wrap.

rowan

First set of doubles by myself today. Took me a while to hook up. I put the dolly in front of wrong trailer and realized what i did while backing onto the trailer that should be the rear. Setting up doubles is a pain hopefully ill get better at it.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
First set of doubles by myself today. Took me a while to hook up. I put the dolly in front of wrong trailer and realized what i did while backing onto the trailer that should be the rear. Setting up doubles is a pain hopefully ill get better at it.

The first few times you'll screw up and be frustrated, but after that the hardest part is backing your lead straight and close to the dolly.

Side note, today me and another driver broke down a set in one move. I forget what they call it, but you release everything, drop rear legs, disconnect dolly and open the "lock" over the dolly. Pull off the lead and the whole thing splits into its individual pieces....was pretty fun :D

rowan

Going to new places is not fun. Went to two new places today. The map always makes look so easy. Lot more stressful going somewhere new with a 53' or doubles compared to package.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Rowan, I don't know about where you work, but our dispatch's maps were usually crap. I went to a strange center one night. They gave me a map and said take so and so exit, you can't miss it. I missed it. They had done construction on the freeway and feeder several months before and did away with the entire exit. I went past it by about 10 miles before I turned around. If you can, ask any drivers you see, at dispatch, in the locker room, anywhere, if they have been there. They will give you better info than an old outdated map, and they usually don't mind helping newbies.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I heard from another driver that we have a 15 minute 'cushion' before your name ends up on a report. I had 1 pull that was 5 minutes late and I asked about it and the supe said that he did not see my name on any reports.
When I was driving, it was like David Letterman's show. Only They were least best lists. And ours were always stuff like 10 least best TA, or 10 highest idle time, etc. My on road would tell me, just improve enough where your name doesn't pop up. Stay off the radar. lol

MaceFremonti

The first few times you'll screw up and be frustrated, but after that the hardest part is backing your lead straight and close to the dolly.

Side note, today me and another driver broke down a set in one move. I forget what they call it, but you release everything, drop rear legs, disconnect dolly and open the "lock" over the dolly. Pull off the lead and the whole thing splits into its individual pieces....was pretty fun :D

I saw someone try to do that at RICVA....dolly flipped up and damaged the front trailer and then bounced back and damaged rear trailer.

Don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon....

On a side note one of our guys managed to get his dolly locked under his rear tailer only to discover he hadn't locked the pintle hook down so the eye of his dolly was on the ground UNDER his pintle hook....LOL

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I saw someone try to do that at RICVA....dolly flipped up and damaged the front trailer and then bounced back and damaged rear trailer.

On a side note one of our guys managed to get his dolly locked under his rear tailer only to discover he hadn't locked the pintle hook down so the eye of his dolly was on the ground UNDER his pintle hook....LOL

Oopsie lol. I don't know if I would want to try it solo, but with him driving and me guiding it seemed to be okay

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Seen that too. The dolly hit the front trailer door and damaged a panel. Driver was fired, got back a week later, but cost him a week's pay.

I did the dolly latched to rear box and not on the front pintle when I was new also. Must not have put the flapper down and it popped off when going under rear box.

I just released dolly handle, pulled it out with the chains and tried again.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
We had a driver who was moving a dolly on the yard with his tractor. While heading to spot it, he made a left turn to go around the building, but had forgotten to put the latch down on his pintle hook. The dolly kept going straight. Went right through a chain link fence and the tongue of the dolly buried itself on the other side of the ditch bordering our yard. He was lucky in as it could have really done some damage or even took someone out.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
When I was driving, it was like David Letterman's show. Only They were least best lists. And ours were always stuff like 10 least best TA, or 10 highest idle time, etc. My on road would tell me, just improve enough where your name doesn't pop up. Stay off the radar. lol

I can't help but get on those top five lists. It's always something with these people. They always ask why I'm on it, and the stock answer is always, "Someone has to be at the top."

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Oopsie lol. I don't know if I would want to try it solo, but with him driving and me guiding it seemed to be okay

Here in Wisconsin we call that a Chicago drop. Just last week a cach driver told me he got charged with an accident pulling forward when the dolly lifted up and slammed back into the rear trailer spearing it

Pickles

Wait, I don't quite get this. So you're telling me some idiots when breaking apart sets will put the back box legs down, unhook all hoses, pull the dolly latch, release dolly air, unhook chains, release snubber, and flip open the pintle latch, AND THEN DRIVE AWAY?

bluebiker

If you put the legs on the kite almost all the way down, (maybe a 1/2" off the ground). Then pull away very slowly when the dolly come out from the rear trailer it lifts the tongue to pull it out from the front trailer, and ends up maybe 1 foot from the rear trailer.

I think the biggest thing is don't let the rear trailer drop too far, and pull out slowly. It saves you the time from having to go back and unhook the dolly then spot your front trailer.

It's like doing the "hero" hookup, if you're careful you won't put the dolly through the rear trailer.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
The trick is to do it at the right speed. Too slow and the dolly can hit the front box if it rolls. Too fast and the dolly can roll quite a ways. Just right and the dolly will pop up and stop and you drive away.

excessivehours

Now in the drug test pool
If you put the legs on the kite almost all the way down, (maybe a 1/2" off the ground). Then pull away very slowly when the dolly come out from the rear trailer it lifts the tongue to pull it out from the front trailer, and ends up maybe 1 foot from the rear trailer.

I think the biggest thing is don't let the rear trailer drop too far, and pull out slowly. It saves you the time from having to go back and unhook the dolly then spot your front trailer.

It's like doing the "hero" hookup, if you're careful you won't put the dolly through the rear trailer.
Any chance of getting this on video. I would love to see that done. Sounds hella cool and kinda dangerous.