TG43

Second week you and a trainer are put on a run all week, then friday you and your trainer will go get your license.

Thanks for the help. Sorry, but I'm still confused about this...when you say license do you mean my Class A CDL or something else? Sorry I know it's a stupid question to you all.

I called HR today and left a message but they never responded.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Thanks for the help. Sorry, but I'm still confused about this...when you say license do you mean my Class A CDL or something else? Sorry I know it's a stupid question to you all.

I called HR today and left a message but they never responded.
Yes, your class A. Did you sign a bid to go to feeders?

rowan

Made it through the first week of my peak run. Each day getting a little better but still lits to learn. Nothing like trying to find somewhere new with a 53' trailer behind you. Lots of rain and fog. Thought i would be going same place everyday nope. Amazon was cool to see but guy guard shack was making fun of me. He got a real kick watching me trying to back on. Got 60 hrs in ran out of hours by Thursday so i got to enjoy thanksgiving. Back at it sunday just keep hopeing no snow. Oh dispatch does not like how long it takes me to get off property. I keep telling give me time. Seems like everyday i find something that needs fixed before i leave.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Seems like everyday i find something that needs fixed before i leave.
Just keep on keeping on. it's dispatchs job to chew on newbie butt. Be careful, don't run into anything and enjoy those 60 hour paychecks. It is better to find something wrong on a proper pretrip than to blow it off and have to explain a breakdown on the road that caused service failures. you will be fine.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Oh dispatch does not like how long it takes me to get off property. I keep telling give me time. Seems like everyday i find something that needs fixed before i leave.

When you find something like that, give dispatch a quick call and tell them you need to go to the shop for "xxxx" being broken. also don't forget to go on other work, and when you're done select breakdown and then Tractor, Trailer, or Dolly as the troublesome item. You'll get more fluid in your methods, and your off property times will get better. However, if you need a few extra minutes to ensure that you're not going to have any kind of equipment failure out on the road, then take it

Hired on to UPS into a part-time permanent supervisor position last month, but originally applied for driver. While interviewing in HR she confirmed I didn't have a CDL. She asked if I saw the recent supervisor position posted and I said yes. With my former military background she forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. After a month process I was hired on during peak season. The HR manager said she will be looking to hire drivers from within in April if I'm still interested.

My questions is: should I put myself thru CDL training during the day (I work twilight) and apply on my own? If I at least don't give this a try and see if it's a good fit for me and my transportation and logistical background, I feel like I'll regret it. I'm grateful to have this position but I'm not sure of the opportunity of going full-time and I'm really want the opportunity of OT and making a better wage.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

MeltedSnowman

At my hub in NY people have received grants that have covered their full cost of tuition at the local CDL school. That's around a 4500 dollar value. They train in a truck provided by the teamsters and get through the regular 8 week course in a just two or three. Once road test is passed instant job. Good deal. So yeah, ask around, your training could be covered.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
At my hub in NY people have received grants that have covered their full cost of tuition at the local CDL school. That's around a 4500 dollar value. They train in a truck provided by the teamsters and get through the regular 8 week course in a just two or three. Once road test is passed instant job. Good deal. So yeah, ask around, your training could be covered.

Ha! I did one week of driving school, and then right into my production week. Boo-yah

M

Mike hunt

Hired on to UPS into a part-time permanent supervisor position last month, but originally applied for driver. While interviewing in HR she confirmed I didn't have a CDL. She asked if I saw the recent supervisor position posted and I said yes. With my former military background she forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. After a month process I was hired on during peak season. The HR manager said she will be looking to hire drivers from within in April if I'm still interested.

My questions is: should I put myself thru CDL training during the day (I work twilight) and apply on my own? If I at least don't give this a try and see if it's a good fit for me and my transportation and logistical background, I feel like I'll regret it. I'm grateful to have this position but I'm not sure of the opportunity of going full-time and I'm really want the opportunity of OT and making a better wage.

A CDL is a nice thing to have. You can pick up and go anywhere and work if it suits you. You will always have options. Yolo

nicky

No, unless its different where you are UPS paid for my CDL...

m00npies1

I was told by HR That you can't have moving violations in the past year for new employees. I have an over length ticket from nearly a year ago. Is an over length ticket a disqualification for employment? Is it considered a moving violation?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I was told by HR That you can't have moving violations in the past year for new employees. I have an over length ticket from nearly a year ago. Is an over length ticket a disqualification for employment? Is it considered a moving violation?
I'm pretty sure that's not a moving violation.

jughead84

Had a question about layovers. Has anyone had major delays during a run, such as a breakdown or a road closure due to weather/accident, that caused you to run out of hours and forced you to shutdown for 10 hours to reset before being able to drive again? Let's say you couldn't find a hotel room for the night and you end up sleeping in the tractor, are you still considered being on the clock or do you need to be off the clock to reset after 10 hours? In other words, paid or not paid?

Pickles

Had a question about layovers. Has anyone had major delays during a run, such as a breakdown or a road closure due to weather/accident, that caused you to run out of hours and forced you to shutdown for 10 hours to reset before being able to drive again? Let's say you couldn't find a hotel room for the night and you end up sleeping in the tractor, are you still considered being on the clock or do you need to be off the clock to reset after 10 hours? In other words, paid or not paid?

You are getting paid the whole time and it doesn't count as a reset as long as you are not in a hotel or Sleeper truck. Your 10 hour reset starts when you eventually get picked up and get back to punch out or when you get your hotel. You can obviously go over the 14 hour / 11 hour rule when this happens as long as you are not driving.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
You are getting paid the whole time and it doesn't count as a reset as long as you are not in a hotel or Sleeper truck. Your 10 hour reset starts when you eventually get picked up and get back to punch out or when you get your hotel. You can obviously go over the 14 hour / 11 hour rule when this happens as long as you are not driving.
Correct, sleeper berths are regulated by the DOT and must conform to certain specifications. Breakdown time would just be "on duty, not driving" until you arrived at an satisfactory place to take your mandated 10 hrs off duty time.

MaceFremonti

Feeder Tip #334

When pretripping a set that is already assembled visually make sure the 5th wheel jaw is completely closed!

I encountered two sets from the midwest this week where the fifth wheel release handle was in the down/locked position but the locking jaw/bar was not completely across the back of the kingpin. The right side of the jaw was open about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

In both instances I was the 3rd driver to move the set and both instances I red tagged the dolly and swapped it out.

MaceFremonti

Feeder Tip #6

ALWAYS pay attention and be aware of your surroundings!

Last night I am patiently waiting for a shifter to finish what he is doing on bay 32. Not sure if he is dropping a trailer or pulling a trailer as he was already backed under the long chassis when I pulled up. He is not in the shifter and I wait for a minute or two for him to appear. He is nowhere to be found so I setup and put my pup on bay 31.

As I am lowering the landing gear, standing quite close to the long chassis next to me, I hear the shifter startup. He quickly punchs it and starts to pull the trailer off of bay 32 with no horn tap or signal to me that he is doing so. At just about that instant I released the container door that is now quickly moving my way is not secure and starting to swing outwards since the trailer is being pulled off the bay so quickly.

The swing door passes inches from my face as I press myself up against the side of the pup and it somehow misses the side of my tractor as the shifter makes a hard left and speeds down the 200 row....door swinging as he goes.

I just stood there thinking WTF?

Good help is hard to find.