VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Feeder Tip #334

When pretripping a set that is already assembled visually make sure the 5th wheel jaw is completely closed!

I encountered two sets from the midwest this week where the fifth wheel release handle was in the down/locked position but the locking jaw/bar was not completely across the back of the kingpin. The right side of the jaw was open about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

In both instances I was the 3rd driver to move the set and both instances I red tagged the dolly and swapped it out.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER trust any piece of equipment especially a set that you personally did not assemble. At best it's a crash waiting to happen. Don't roll those dice.

OPTION3

We have a 40 year safe driver (been the object of several safety articles) that NEVER builds their set.....NEVER pre-trips anything....hops in -hooks up---goes. They have dropped the rear 2 times as I watched.....smh

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We have a 40 year safe driver (been the object of several safety articles) that NEVER builds their set.....NEVER pre-trips anything....hops in -hooks up---goes. They have dropped the rear 2 times as I watched.....smh

.....he's dropped the rears but is still considered a safe driver?? Making sure your equipment is operating properly is part of being safe, methinks

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Feeder Tip #6

ALWAYS pay attention and be aware of your surroundings!

Last night I am patiently waiting for a shifter to finish what he is doing on bay 32. Not sure if he is dropping a trailer or pulling a trailer as he was already backed under the long chassis when I pulled up. He is not in the shifter and I wait for a minute or two for him to appear. He is nowhere to be found so I setup and put my pup on bay 31.

As I am lowering the landing gear, standing quite close to the long chassis next to me, I hear the shifter startup. He quickly punchs it and starts to pull the trailer off of bay 32 with no horn tap or signal to me that he is doing so. At just about that instant I released the container door that is now quickly moving my way is not secure and starting to swing outwards since the trailer is being pulled off the bay so quickly.

The swing door passes inches from my face as I press myself up against the side of the pup and it somehow misses the side of my tractor as the shifter makes a hard left and speeds down the 200 row....door swinging as he goes.

I just stood there thinking WTF?

Good help is hard to find.

If you are looking for rookie hard charger, who is high on the feeder life, and dangerous to all around, look to a spotter.

bigrig

Got my permit went feeder training completed it then a feeder on road supervisor took me to dot for road test received cdl then had to complete 40 hr safety compliance ride all done the only thing was did not get paid for the feeder training I just sold a vacation and that was how I did it. But believe when I say it was worth it!

Sparkey86

When it comes to deer I'm not as lucky. I manage to average about 6 per year. Elk about 1 every 3 years. Numerous skunks, porcupine and a occasional coyote. Skunks are the worst. The unloaders really hate when I run over a skunk.
Less than a year in feeders a deer stepped out in front of me on interstate. I was pulling a set. My first reaction was brake hard. But after that .0001 second had passed I just got off brakes and coasted until impact. Luckily, the deer crossing from left to right only caught the passenger side of front bumper. I guess I was lucky the deer didn't go under the set and cause real problems. I guess the tip here is don't lose control over a deer. Thoughts?

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Less than a year in feeders a deer stepped out in front of me on interstate. I was pulling a set. My first reaction was brake hard. But after that .0001 second had passed I just got off brakes and coasted until impact. Luckily, the deer crossing from left to right only caught the passenger side of front bumper. I guess I was lucky the deer didn't go under the set and cause real problems. I guess the tip here is don't lose control over a deer. Thoughts?
I never worry about it, if it messes something up then that is just more money in your pocket waiting on a wrecker. I always find it strange that you don't feel anything when you hit one, just a thump and it's road lasagna.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Better to have a bent bumper or fender, and a dead deer than swerve, miss the deer and roll a set. The company would probably accuse you of falling asleep if you didn't have a witness or a carcass to say otherwise.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
If you are looking for rookie hard charger, who is high on the feeder life, and dangerous to all around, look to a spotter.

Not all spotters are rookies for one and a spotter maxes out at 15mph unlike a rookie in a tractor doing 70 on the road or 35 in the yard.

QKRSTKR

Don't veer for deer

jughead84

Thanks, Pickles and 104Feeder, for that info. I can't remember if this issue was covered in feeder school, but it was the first time I ran out of hours due to weather conditions and road closures and had to sleep in tractor. Being a rookie feeder driver, you kind of learn new things as you go.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Better to have a bent bumper or fender, and a dead deer than swerve, miss the deer and roll a set. The company would probably accuse you of falling asleep if you didn't have a witness or a carcass to say otherwise.
Even if you did have a witness and a carcass, if you swerved to avoid a deer and flipped your set, you will be lucky to get your job back.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I had several close calls with deer down here in Texas. Sometimes they look like a herd of cattle. Never hit one. Was in a convoy one night when the point man nailed a buck, tho. I would never leave the road for an animal. Human life, yes, but if it's got fur, I'm holding on and driving straight.

Pickles

Not sure if you're stuck in your tractor if you get it, but if you get a hotel then you get reimbursed up to $25 for food. Keep your reciepts and turn them in.