SnowCitizen

I encountered two sets from the midwest this week where the fifth wheel release handle was in the down/locked position but the locking jaw/bar was not completely across the back of the kingpin. The right side of the jaw was open about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

Would the forks be going through the holes in this situation?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Not all spotters are rookies for one and a spotter maxes out at 15mph unlike a rookie in a tractor doing 70 on the road or 35 in the yard.

I agree, not all idiot spotters are rookies, just most of them. Most idiot spotters either learn, or find work elsewhere.

MaceFremonti

Would the forks be going through the holes in this situation?

Depending on the angle you are looking you can see them but they are not "in" the windows. Normally they should be sticking out of the windows slightly. Check out the inside of the kingpin "hole" on a dolly that isn't under a trailer and you'll see what I mean.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Tip # 74.3 - Always make sure to remove your airlines and electrical before pulling off. I narrowly avoided a busted out back window yesterday. Luckily I pulled off quick, so they missed the glass

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I always made a part of my routine to physically turn around and look out the back window when I pulled out from under a trailer to 1. verify I had indeed pulled my gladhands and light cord. (I had a couple of dents on the back of my cab.:o) 2. watched the trailer physically drop off my fifth wheel. If it dropped hard onto the frame, I might question if I had indeed cranked the landing gear down or not.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
It's typically my routine to:
1- Lights, tires and hub heat
2- Hang Fifth wheel puller to handle and lean on mudflap "arm"
3- Pull lines and lights
4- Landing Gear
5- Release 5th wheel

Hopefully it's the last time I make that mistake

Just for comparison:
Arriving
1) legs
2) tires/hubs
3)lights
4)hoses and cord
5)fifth wheel

Departing
1) fifth wheel
2) hoses and cord
3)Tires/hubs
4) lights
5) paperwork
6) legs

I've always done legs first/ last so that I never drop one on its nose.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Just for comparison:
Arriving
1) legs
2) tires/hubs
3)lights
4)hoses and cord
5)fifth wheel

Departing
1) fifth wheel
2) hoses and cord
3)Tires/hubs
4) lights
5) paperwork
6) legs

I've always done legs first/ last so that I never drop one on its nose.

Not too much different :D Departing I'm the same as you, except I switch 5 and 6. I raise legs and do the paperwork in the seat right before I pull off. (Especially when it's cold)

I've been good so far without having one nose dive, but one of the buildings I run to there was a guy who nose'd 2 in one day (one which was VERY heavy) and needed to be lifted up and towed on property LOL, the other was light enough he was able to crank it. Then he dropped one a few weeks later. :Facepalm:

1pocket73

Yep...routine is the key ingredient to avoiding disasters.Theeee..number 1 most important check IMO is immediately getting under and checking that coupling just after hooking to the trailer.Always have a small flashlight handy in case you can't see under there(too dark).

I can't even imagine how awful it would be to loose a trailer at high speeds ....!!!

buddyjosh

If you come from Part time in the hub straight to feeder, when layoffs come around should you be trained for package or sent back to the hub at whatever hub rate you left for 2 PT shifts? If sent to the hub is that considered full time hub (Article 22.3) rate or not since technically you are full time hub?

root

Calm down, i'll handle it
So the average run can be anywhere between 8-10 hrs? You are allowed to stop for your mandatory breaks right? I have got to check into this, I know parts of it may seem too much like work, but from what I can see, you are definitely master of your domain!

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
So the average run can be anywhere between 8-10 hrs? You are allowed to stop for your mandatory breaks right? I have got to check into this, I know parts of it may seem too much like work, but from what I can see, you are definitely master of your domain!

Make that 8-14 hours.

Allowed to stop? UPS has no choice in the matter.

I've done real work. Feeder is no work at all.