trickpony1

Wouldn't that white powdery substance on the ground suggest these drivers need to slow their happy rears down?

Maybe it's just me.......

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Its because they are paid by the mile. Its a tragic situation.
Also it's because your dispatcher doesn't care about the weather or your safety. None of our runs have time allowances for weather.

Insaneasylum

Holy smilet!

Last week in Wyoming. You can hear everyone's anti-locks as they try to stop...except for the Fed-Ex set...he never slows down...

Now that is just insane. I feel real bad for that r&l driver the only one to slow down and get stopped. Just to get smashed into at least 4 times. And that white SUV I wonder what happened to little thing

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Its because they are paid by the mile. Its a tragic situation.
Also it's because your dispatcher doesn't care about the weather or your safety. None of our runs have time allowances for weather.

That's why the final decision lies with the driver and not some computer jockey sitting in a room without ice. If I decide to pull over and wait it out, there will be no apologies from this driver.

Johney

Pineapple King
Hell I don't think fed ex ever touched his brakes.
I have never driven a car in the snow let alone a tractor trailer, but Jesus man it looks like 99 % of those drivers were going way to fast for conditions. Crap man when it rains here I slow down 10 mph or more.

UPSmechanicinblue

That it all they have been making for years. UPS told Mack that if they wanted their business, they would have to install springs.

They also came standard with a radio and UPS paid Mack extra to not install it.

Mack fimally told UPS that they would no longer put springs on their trucks, by way of quoting them a ridiculous amount to do it.

They had to wait until the model year trucks were built and then retool their assembly line to accommodate UPS and their springs.

UPS saw the light. It was cheaper to maintain springs vs airbags, but not anymore with the cost from Mack to put springs on them in the first place.

Same with the radios. They are no longer paying Mack extra to not install a free standard item.

power steering also on the old tractors- tractors built without for UPS

Dracula

I have never driven a car in the snow let alone a tractor trailer, but Jesus man it looks like 99 % of those drivers were going way to fast for conditions. Crap man when it rains here I slow down 10 mph or more.

You are exactly right. If the camera in the opposite lanes can see from that distance, you HAVE to think the trucks heading into the pile would have to see something amiss ahead of them. This was the same situation in the pile-up in Michigan earlier this year, when the video was nearly identical. IMO, it appears that too many drivers were way too comfortable in the dismal conditions, and were simply not paying attention to their surroundings.

And yeah, it's easy to arm chair quarterback. But I better be a better driver than these people were. And I believe I am. There is no way--NO WAY--I drive as fast as that Fed-Ex driver and that car hauler are driver in those conditions. It's just stupid. Stupid because you could kill someone. Stupid because you could very easily lose your job, and worst of all, you could die doing your job.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

And talk about hard luck, another driver and I were talking last night about how friend*cked an independent owner/operator trucker that got caught up in a wreck like this would be. No pay until you get the load delivered, no way to get the load delivered, and probably thousands of miles away from home. Bummer.

Dracula

I talked to one of our sleeper team drivers in the store a couple of days ago. I was saying how stupid those drivers were, driving into the pile.

He laughed and said that it wasn't so cut and dry. He said that portion of the interstate is straight downhill, and to the camera's right--from the video from across the interstate--is a crest in the hill. So apparently, before that hill starts going straight downhill, it goes down, and then back uphill, hitting the crest of the hill before getting to the part of the hill we see in the video. So he was saying you can't see what is ahead until you get over the previous hill. He also said that stretch of highway typically gets a thick ice pack for weeks at a time. He said it isn't real bad, unless you have to hit your brakes hard. Anyone who drives up north knows what he is saying. There is a certain amount of reliable traction on a dry icepack. BUT, if someone wrecks--he said--you're screwed.

Having said all of that, he, like most of us here, agreed that Fed-Ex and the car-hauler were obviously going waaay too fast for the conditions.

MaceFremonti

New personal record yesterday...dispatch at my turn around held me for 7 hours...yes SEVEN HOURS for a sleeper load. It's close to four hours each way. Do the math. Yes, I was extended two hours and yes I needed all 120 minutes of the extension.

I was not happy.

UPS4Life

New personal record yesterday...dispatch at my turn around held me for 7 hours...yes SEVEN HOURS for a sleeper load. It's close to four hours each way. Do the math. Yes, I was extended two hours and yes I needed all 120 minutes of the extension.

I was not happy.
That's awful! Couldn't you have said you wouldn't make it and this isn't a random act of God since you knew before you left you weren't going to make it there for an extension should be out of the question?

MoarTape

I was not happy.

Did they do that in NewPA? And was it Don?

skoomer1

I know of dispatch giving an extension just so they can send a driver to do a extra leg on his day from his home domicile. Seems they modify DOT rules for their own needs.

bluehdmc

I was not happy.

That's not a reason to give you 2 hrs extra. It wasn't "adverse driving conditions" or "emergency conditions". They could have sent you back and sent another driver out. They would be just a liable as you if anything happened since they knew about this at time of dispatch. Did your IVIS turn red and go ding, ding, ding?

MaceFremonti

Wow...40+ not driving? Isn't there a sign right out front that says "Hiring Tractor Trailer Drivers"????

At 14 hours IVIS did turn red and said I was on extended duty and started 2 hour countdown on OD and DT times.

trickpony1

At 14 hours IVIS did turn red and said I was on extended duty and started 2 hour countdown on OD and DT times.

If you had an accident they would have denied extending you.

In cases like this I have the dispatcher get a driver standing around to witness him (dispatcher) instructing me to extend.