Atheists

wkmac

I don't think it needs to go that far. I am very at ease professing my faith (such that it is). In doing so I don't look to convert anybody, nor am I threatened by the expressions of belief that differ radically from my own. Science has light years to go to solve the riddles of the universe and eons to go beyond that to tackle the heart and soul of the human being. For some as myself, God reaches across that expanse to make some sense of it for me.

You should YouTube "Rupert Sheldrake The Science Delusion" as Dr. Sheldrake, a biologist and scientist himself offer some stark challenges to the claims of materialistic science. With science, all may not be as it seems and thus why I poised the question in an earlier post what if both religion and science were wrong or as you put it, what if both religion and science are light years from being right?

wkmac

This offers a fascinating and yet extremely controversial hypothesis. But it also peeks my interests not because of reactions from those of faith but rather from those outside faith. I actually think they could end up being the stronger critics of this proposal.

I might just have to drag out my "Works of Josephus" and give this another serious look.

Upsmule

This offers a fascinating and yet extremely controversial hypothesis. But it also peeks my interests not because of reactions from those of faith but rather from those outside faith. I actually think they could end up being the stronger critics of this proposal.

I might just have to drag out my "Works of Josephus" and give this another serious look.

"A religion steeped in 'mystery' for nearly 2000 years...."

Seriously? The fact that the entire planet keeps track of time by "the year of our Lord A.D." is a great mystery? The gospels as well as the Old Testament are some of the most well documented texts of human history, as well as the fact that there are more of them, than any other works in human history is a "mystery?" I guess if one wants to remain in the dark then, yeah.

Upsmule

"There are existential realities from which I can not run which drive me to find the answers to. The existential struggles that I live with, not just the philosophical ones...the philosophical ones are real and I have to deal with them, but so are the existential ones, and by the way, existentialism came as a response to the unpaid bills of philosophy. Philosophy had become so cerebral that passions had been ignored, and existentialism came into being and tossed out the rationalistic way of interpreting things."

--Ravi Zacharias (From vid posted back on page 34 of this thread)

​Well, some people choose to run from those realities obviously.

bbsam

Staff member
You should YouTube "Rupert Sheldrake The Science Delusion" as Dr. Sheldrake, a biologist and scientist himself offer some stark challenges to the claims of materialistic science. With science, all may not be as it seems and thus why I poised the question in an earlier post what if both religion and science were wrong or as you put it, what if both religion and science are light years from being right?

But we are speaking of ultimate Truth. By definition that must find a way to incorporate science and religion (morality ethics, etc.). So they are either wholly compatible in a way that is not clear or they are mutually exclusive and thus incapable of offering anything close to omniscience. So I don't see them as light years away from being right but possibly from reconciliation and that may be by divine intervention.:)

bbsam

Staff member
Upsmule--

I will gladly accept your claim that Christianity is not steeped in mystery if you can give a clear and concise scientific explanation of transsubstantiation.:)

moreluck

golden ticket member
Upsmule--

I will gladly accept your claim that Christianity is not steeped in mystery if you can give a clear and concise scientific explanation of transsubstantiation.:)
It's all about faith and there will never be an explanation to suit you. Wait, I have to stoke the fire........burning Quoran day!! (it's only paper & binding)

wkmac

But we are speaking of ultimate Truth. By definition that must find a way to incorporate science and religion (morality ethics, etc.). So they are either wholly compatible in a way that is not clear or they are mutually exclusive and thus incapable of offering anything close to omniscience. So I don't see them as light years away from being right but possibly from reconciliation and that may be by divine intervention.:)

There again is why I think you'd appreciate Sheldrake as he speaks of science and religion as once united so to speak before materialism in the 16th century pulled the 2 apart. And I'm not convinced both sides didn't want it so anyway but that's just me.

I always found the so-called conflict between science and religion a bit like the alleged conflict of the fictional Spacing Guild and the Bene Gesserit in Frank Herbert's Sci-Fi classic Dune. The real goal of both was not about truth but in reality was all about power and control. In the end, the Fremen seem to prove both as wrong and exposed the lies they told to maintain their power.

Upsmule

Upsmule--

That's a Catholic teaching I've never been able to buy into personally. As are many teachings of the Catholic church as apposed to what the bible record speaks of. Besides, there could never be a scientific explanation of anything pertaining to faith. If science could explain an omniscient being He wouldn't be omniscient.

moreluck

golden ticket member
If ever, whenever you ever have CT Scan and they inject that dye (iodine)contrast into you and within 2-3 seconds the heat travels through your network of veins/arteries. You think, my goodness, my heart does that pumping and has been doing it for 66 years every 2-3 seconds. That's GOD, that's not some scientist!!!

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
If ever, whenever you ever have CT Scan and they inject that dye (iodine)contrast into you and within 2-3 seconds the heat travels through your network of veins/arteries. You think, my goodness, my heart does that pumping and has been doing it for 66 years every 2-3 seconds. That's GOD, that's not some scientist!!!
That's biology, not god.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Biology is the study of life........not the life itself.

Anything with "ology" on it means 'the study of'........but only the stupid people know that!!!

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
I was paying attention.

moreluck

golden ticket member
As I described....the couple seconds is "the trip". The trip is where your blood travels to and from....pumped out of the heart and to your toes or other outlying areas. The heat is what is travelling through you and I said so in the above statement. I can't help it if your grasp of the language is juvenile !!