Atheists

BrownArmy

...regardless of the fact that the founders of this country went out of their way to ensure the freedom of religion not the freedom FROM religion...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

In this nation, we have the freedom to practice various and differing religions, as well as the freedom to not practice any religion.

It's equal opportunity, man, and the Founders were quite specific about this, as you point out: there is no 'state' religion in the US.

Soooo....I'll disagree with your statement that the Founders 'went out of their way to ensure the freedom of religion not the freedom FROM religion'...

(How would you feel if the Five Precepts of Buddhism were enforced in our school system? or the Five Pillars of Islam? Or the basic traditions of Zorastrianism?, etc...)

You feel me?

That's sort of the point, it's the 'Freedom of Religion'.

(Freedom 'from' Religion is kind of rolled up right in there, isn't it?)

Upsmule

(How would you feel if the Five Precepts of Buddhism were enforced in our school system? or the Five Pillars of Islam? Or the basic traditions of Zorastrianism?, etc...)

Apples and oranges. That's not the same thing as being told you can't credit your personal God as the class valedictorian in a commencement speech. Or tell a judge he can't hang the Ten Commandments on his courtroom wall.

And as for the school curriculum, if that's what the schools and the parents associations choose to teach via the process of choosing a curriculum then so be it. If you don't like it take you kid to another school.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Do you know the Preamble for your state? . .

Alabama 1901, Preamble
We the people of the State of Alabama , invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God, do ordain and establish the following Constitution..

Alaska 1956, Preamble
We, the people of Alaska , grateful to God and to those who founded our nation and pioneered this great land.
Arizona 1911, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Arizona , grateful to Almighty God for our liberties, do ordain this Constitution...
Arkansas 1874, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Arkansas , grateful to Almighty God for the privilege of choosing our own form of government...
California 1879, Preamble
We, the People of the State of California , grateful to Almighty God for our freedom...
Colorado 1876, Preamble
We, the people of Colorado , with profound reverence for the Supreme Ruler of Universe...
Connecticut 1818, Preamble.
The People of Connecticut, acknowledging with gratitude the good Providence of God in permitting them to enjoy.
Delaware 1897, Preamble
Through Divine Goodness all men have, by nature, the rights of worshipping and serving their Creator according to the dictates of their consciences.
Florida 1885, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Florida , grateful to Almighty God for our constitutional liberty, establish this Constitution...
Georgia 1777, Preamble
We, the people of Georgia , relying upon protection and guidance of Almighty God, do ordain and establish this Constitution...
Hawaii 1959, Preamble
We , the people of Hawaii , Grateful for Divine Guidance ... Establish this Constitution.
Idaho 1889, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Idaho , grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, to secure its blessings.
Illinois 1870, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Illinois, grateful to Almighty God for the civil , political and religious liberty which He hath so long permitted us to enjoy and looking to Him for a blessing on our endeavors.
Indiana 1851, Preamble
We, the People of the State of Indiana , grateful to Almighty God for the free exercise of the right to choose our form of government.
Iowa 1857, Preamble
We, the People of the St ate of Iowa , grateful to the Supreme Being for the blessings hitherto enjoyed, and feeling our dependence on Him for a continuation of these blessings, establish this Constitution.
Kansas 1859, Preamble
We, the people of Kansas , grateful to Almighty God for our civil and religious privileges establish this Constitution.
Kentucky 1891, Preamble..
We, the people of the Commonwealth are grateful to Almighty God for the civil, political and religious liberties..
Louisiana 1921, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Louisiana , grateful to Almighty God for the civil, political and religious liberties we enjoy.
Maine 1820, Preamble
We the People of Maine acknowledging with grateful hearts the goodness of the Sovereign Ruler of the Universe in affording us an opportunity .. And imploring His aid and direction.
Maryland 1776, Preamble
We, the people of the state of Maryland , grateful to Almighty God for our civil and religious liberty...
Massachusetts 1780, Preamble
We...the people of Massachusetts, acknowledging with grateful hearts, the goodness of the Great Legislator of the Universe In the course of His Providence, an opportunity and devoutly imploring His direction
Michigan 1908, Preamble
. We, the people of the State of Michigan , grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of freedom, establish this Constitution.
Minnesota, 1857, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Minnesota, grateful to God for our civil and religious liberty, and desiring to perpetuate its blessings:
Mississippi 1890, Preamble
We, the people of Mississippi in convention assembled, grateful to Almighty God, and invoking His blessing on our work.
Missouri 1845, Preamble
We, the people of Missouri , with profound reverence for the Supreme Ruler of the Universe, and grateful for His goodness . Establish this Constitution...
Montana 1889, Preamble.
We, the people of Montana , grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of liberty establish this Constitution ..
Nebraska 1875, Preamble
We, the people, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom . Establish this Constitution.
Nevada 1864, Preamble
We the people of the State of Nevada , grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, establish this Constitution...
New Hampshire 1792, Part I. Art. I. Sec. V
Every individual has a natural and unalienable right to worship God according to the dictates of his own conscience.
New Jersey 1844, Preamble
We, the people of the State of New Jersey, grateful to Almighty God for civil and religious liberty which He hath so long permitted us to enjoy, and looking to Him for a blessing on our endeavors.
New Mexico 1911, Preamble
We, the People of New Mexico, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of liberty..
New York 1846, Preamble
We, the people of the State of New York , grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, in order to secure its blessings.
North Carol ina 1868, Preamble We the people of the State of North Carol ina, grateful to Almighty God, the Sovereign Ruler of Nations, for our civil, political, and religious liberties, and acknowledging our dependence upon Him for the continuance of those...
North Dakota 1889, Preamble
We , the people of North Dakota , grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of civil and religious liberty, do ordain...
Ohio 1852, Preamble
We the people of the state of Ohio , grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, to secure its blessings and to promote our common.
Oklahoma 1907, Preamble
Invoking the guidance of Almighty God, in order to secure and perpetuate the blessings of liberty, establish this
Oregon 1857, Bill of Rights, Article I Section 2.
All men shall be secure in the Natural right, to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their consciences
Pennsylvania 1776, Preamble
We, the people of Pennsylvania, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of civil and religious liberty, and humbly invoking His guidance....
Rhode Island 1842, Preamble.
We the People of the State of Rhode Island grateful to Almighty God for the civil and religious liberty which He hath so long permitted us to enjoy, and looking to Him for a blessing...
South Carolina , 1778, Preamble
We, the people of he State of South Carol ina grateful to God for our liberties, do ordain and establish this Constitution.
South Dakota 1889, Preamble
We, the people of South Dakota , grateful to Almighty God for our civil and religious liberties .
Tennessee 1796, Art. XI..III.
That all men have a natural and indefeasible right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their conscience...
Texas 1845, Preamble
We the People of the Republic of Texas , acknowledging, with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.
Utah 1896, Preamble
Grateful to Almighty God for life and liberty, we establish this Constitution.
Vermont 1777, Preamble
Whereas all government ought to enable the individuals who compose it to enjoy their natural rights, and other blessings which the Author of Existence has bestowed on man .
Virginia 1776, Bill of Rights, XVI
Religion, or the Duty which we owe our Creator can be directed only by Reason and that it is the mutual duty of all to practice Christian Forbearance, Love and Charity towards each other
Washington 1889, Preamble
We the People of the State of Washington, grateful to the Supreme Ruler of the Universe for our liberties, do ordain this Constitution
West Virginia 1872, Preamble
Since through Divine Providence we enjoy the blessings of civil, political and religious liberty, we, the people of West Virginia reaffirm our faith in and constant reliance upon God ...
Wisconsin 1848, Preamble
We, the people of Wisconsin, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom, domestic tranquility...
Wyoming 1890, Preamble
We, the people of the State of Wyoming , grateful to God for our civil, political, and religious liberties, establish this Constitution...

After reviewing acknowledgments of God from all 50 state
constitutions, one is faced with the prospect that maybe, the ACLU and the out-of-control federal courts arewrong! If you found this to be 'Food for thought' send to as many as you think will be enlightened as I hope you were.

(Please note that at no time is anyone told that they MUST worship God.)

GOD BLESS AMERICA !

Upsmule

Here here, yea and amen!

Virginia 1776, Bill of Rights, XVIReligion, or the Duty which we owe our Creator can be directed only by Reason and that it is the mutual duty of all to practice Christian Forbearance, Love and Charity towards each other.

My guess is Jefferson prob penned this ;) YOU BE THE GOOD SAMARITAN.....it shouldn't be left up to the state to ease your bleeding heart. I'd say conscience if liberals had one.

Upsmule

Published Date: September 14, 1993

Some months ago, a well-known media figure-we'll call him Tom-invited me to dinner. "I don't believe in God," Tom told me straight out. "But tell me what you believe."

Finding Common Ground

wkmac

The bible if one looks into the hebrew word sheol, the greek hades and the history of death among the ancient cultures of the monotheistic Middle East, one also understands the bible teaches the worm food doctrine too.
:wink2:

On another note.

Margaret Doughty, an atheist and permanent U.S. resident for more than 30 years, was told by immigration authorities this month that she has until Friday to officially join a church that forbids violence or her application for naturalized citizenship will be rejected.
Doughty received the ultimatum after stating on her application that she objected to the pledge to bear arms in defense of the nation due to her moral opposition to war. According to a letter to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services by the American Humanist Association on Doughty's behalf, officials responded by telling her that she needed to prove that her status as a conscientious objector was due to religious beliefs. They reportedly told her she'd need to document that she was "a member in good standing" of a nonviolent religious organization or be denied citizenship at her June 21 hearing. A note “on official church stationary [sic]" would suffice, they said.

Margaret Doughty, Atheist Seeking U.S. Citizenship, Told To Join Church Or Be Denied

If nothing else, the unthinking knee jerk reactions will be fun to read.

Upsmule

Look at all the fun stuff atheists are missing out on...
‘Spanking for Jesus'

Fools that think they know Jesus (and the bible) but actually know neither, also like to say that God hates fags also.

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her" (Ephesians 5:25)

How many men have been willing to "die to themselves" for the sake of the vow they made lately? Not many judging by the divorce rates.

balland chain

Fools that think they know Jesus (and the bible) but actually know neither, also like to say that God hates fags also.

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her" (Ephesians 5:25)

How many men have been willing to "die to themselves" for the sake of the vow they made lately? Not many judging by the divorce rates.

Next time you talk to GOD, can I please attend.. GOD is not about hate, and stating "god hates fags" shows your ignorance and lack of education..OH, since you are on the side of "God hates fags" are you attending and protesting the funerals of our soldiers who are fighting for our freedom with the "god hates fags" "church" ? I used quotation marks because they claim to be a church, but any church that makes a statement with the words God and hate together, is not a church to me.. If these are your beliefs, I can only assume that you think all women should walk behind their husband, and not given any rights whatsoever.. My gosh, when is the hate going to end in this country.. Do you honestly think a person would "choose" to be gay? To live a life in fear of being beaten to death (Matthew Shepard) and I am sure hundreds more, to go thru life being called horrible names, etc.. Heck, even today the "church" that claimed they cold pray away the gay, conceded that it does not work, and FINALLY, agreed with scientific data, that gay people are born that way... Just like narrow minded hate filled people are born that way... While you are showing your true colors, are you going to let the N word fly? Or are you a person of color? I typically use the term gentleman of color, but with with such a hateful post, I can not call you a gentleman... When speaking with my Rabbi, or listening to his loving words, GOD is love, and persons who claim to know GOD, spewing hate, actually do not know or understand GOD at all.. Instead of quoting the bible, may I suggest you ask for forgiveness .................

Upsmule

Next time you talk to GOD, can I please attend.. GOD is not about hate, and stating "god hates fags" shows your ignorance and lack of education..OH, since you are on the side of "God hates fags" are you attending and protesting the funerals of our soldiers who are fighting for our freedom with the "god hates fags" "church" ? I used quotation marks because they claim to be a church, but any church that makes a statement with the words God and hate together, is not a church to me.. If these are your beliefs, I can only assume that you think all women should walk behind their husband, and not given any rights whatsoever.. My gosh, when is the hate going to end in this country.. Do you honestly think a person would "choose" to be gay? To live a life in fear of being beaten to death (Matthew Shepard) and I am sure hundreds more, to go thru life being called horrible names, etc.. Heck, even today the "church" that claimed they cold pray away the gay, conceded that it does not work, and FINALLY, agreed with scientific data, that gay people are born that way... Just like narrow minded hate filled people are born that way... While you are showing your true colors, are you going to let the N word fly? Or are you a person of color? I typically use the term gentleman of color, but with with such a hateful post, I can not call you a gentleman... When speaking with my Rabbi, or listening to his loving words, GOD is love, and persons who claim to know GOD, spewing hate, actually do not know or understand GOD at all.. Instead of quoting the bible, may I suggest you ask for forgiveness .................

Take a reading comprehension class or something huh? Sheesh.....clearly some points just aren't worth making when people see only what they want to. I guess a knee jerk reaction like the one above is to be expected here though..... wowzers.

Upsmule

And for the record....yes, God is Love. But He does hate.

There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
[SUP]17 [/SUP] haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
[SUP]18 [/SUP] a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
[SUP]19 [/SUP] a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community. --Proverbs 6:16-19

Like the point I was making and was horribly missed....He also hates being misrepresented like those in the link Jones provided. As well as the fools from Westboro Baptist.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And for the record....yes, God is Love. But He does hate.

There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
[SUP]17 [/SUP] haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
[SUP]18 [/SUP] a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
[SUP]19 [/SUP] a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community. --Proverbs 6:16-19

Like the point I was making and was horribly missed....He also hates being misrepresented like those in the link Jones provided. As well as the fools from Westboro Baptist.

OK, so the Lord hates George W. Bush. Works for me.

Upsmule

OK, so the Lord hates George W. Bush. Works for me.

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." --Matthew 7:3-5

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." --Matthew 7:3-5

"Why are you spouting gibberish that you don't even understand?"---Hypocrites 6:20-13

wkmac

God loves the sinner but hates the sin.

Not in the bible but taken from Gandhi as the actual quote who took it from St. Augustine, Letter 211 (c. 424) in latin was written, "Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum" and translated to "with love for mankind and hatred of sin."