Build That Wall!!

MAKAVELI

Banned
img_7833.jpeg

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
By declaring a national emergency he can reallocate funds already given. Will most likely come out of the defense budget. And most likely he will build the entire wall needed instead of having to beg for more from Congress.
I knew our defense budget was bloated. If their is extra money just sitting around its time to slash their piece of the pie.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yeah, was just reading some user comments on a related WSJ story. Here's one, who freely provided self-identifying information in his post:

"I like these political pundits stating they will have their "experts" pile on regarding the effectiveness of the Border wall. What experts? The US Border Patrol Chief, numerous Border Patrol Sector chiefs have all stated unequivocally that the Border wall is an effective deterrent. Yuma, San Diego and Macallen , Tx Border Patrol Sectors have all seen the walls effectiveness where constructed. Those Agents on the Ground are the experts. Even the Border Patrol Chief during the Obama Administration is 100% behind the wall's effectiveness in deterring illegal entry by aliens and Narcotics smuggling as well.

Mark J Acton
Senior Special Agent- Ret.
US Dept of Homeland Security- ICE"
Expecting people to make objective judgements about where a wall fits into the larger issue of border security is not going to happen, and you can thank Trump for that. He demagogued the issue so much during the campaign that it's now inextricably linked to him and all the racist remarks he made about Mexicans in conjunction with it so now most Americans see it as his personal vanity project at best and a monument to his racism at worst.
If he had never said a word about it he could long ago have had all the money needed for increased border security to include improved fencing, barriers, walls wherever border patrol felt it was necessary. But he just couldn't keep his fat mouth shut. Oh well.

floridays

Expecting people to make objective judgements about where a wall fits into the larger issue of border security is not going to happen, and you can thank Trump for that. He demagogued the issue so much during the campaign that it's now inextricably linked to him and all the racists remarks he made about Mexicans in conjunction with it and most Americans see it as his personal vanity project at best and a monument to his racism at worst.
If he had never said a word about it he could long ago have had all the money needed for increased border security to include improved fencing, barriers, walls wherever border patrol felt it was necessary. But he just couldn't keep his fat mouth shut. Oh well.

newfie

By declaring a national emergency he can reallocate funds already given. Will most likely come out of the defense budget. And most likely he will build the entire wall needed instead of having to beg for more from Congress.
Sounds but will get tied up in court for years unless Trump has the balls to create a constitutional crisis. No lower judiciary should be allowed to over rule the top level of the executive branch. Trump should refuse to recognize their authority and only agree to mediation in the same level of the judiciary as him mainly the supreme Court.

Box Ox

What can be, unburdened by what has been.

Looks true to me. Lefty sources are reporting the same. Newsweek ends its article on it by trying to downplay the potentially 58,000 non citizens who may have voted:

Texas finds 95,000 non-citizens registered to vote, encourages local election officials to check into voter fraud

“Texas has approximately 16 million registered voters, over 8.3 million voted in the Texas governor's race in 2018. Therefore, if all 58,000 cast a ballot in the 2018 election, it would account for 0.69% of voters. Abbott won the governor's seat by 13.3%.”

From the NYT:

Texas Secretary of State Questions Citizenship of 95,000 Registered Voters

“But Democrats and voting rights advocates were skeptical of the state’s claims. More than 8.3 million people voted in the Texas governor’s race last year, which means that even if all 58,000 people who voted were, in fact, found to be noncitizens and voted in 2018 — a claim that no state official has made — they would have amounted to only 0.69 percent of all votes that were cast.”

Ridiculous. Can we all agree that if true, this is absolutely unacceptable?

moreluck

golden ticket member
If THEY can find out about non-citizen voters after the fact, they can prevent it. Look at the changes that have taken place at the airports....used to meet folks at the gate.

bbsam

Staff member
Looks true to me. Lefty sources are reporting the same. Newsweek ends its article on it by trying to downplay the potentially 58,000 non citizens who may have voted:

Texas finds 95,000 non-citizens registered to vote, encourages local election officials to check into voter fraud

“Texas has approximately 16 million registered voters, over 8.3 million voted in the Texas governor's race in 2018. Therefore, if all 58,000 cast a ballot in the 2018 election, it would account for 0.69% of voters. Abbott won the governor's seat by 13.3%.”

From the NYT:

Texas Secretary of State Questions Citizenship of 95,000 Registered Voters

“But Democrats and voting rights advocates were skeptical of the state’s claims. More than 8.3 million people voted in the Texas governor’s race last year, which means that even if all 58,000 people who voted were, in fact, found to be noncitizens and voted in 2018 — a claim that no state official has made — they would have amounted to only 0.69 percent of all votes that were cast.”

Ridiculous. Can we all agree that if true, this is absolutely unacceptable?
Yep. Unacceptable. But the burden of the fix has to be on the state to fix the problem without putting unnecessary hardship on eligible voters. What’s unnecessary? I’m not sure. But this recent shutdown has shown just how widespread living “paycheck to paycheck” really is.

El Correcto

god is dead
Yep. Unacceptable. But the burden of the fix has to be on the state to fix the problem without putting unnecessary hardship on eligible voters. What’s unnecessary? I’m not sure. But this recent shutdown has shown just how widespread living “paycheck to paycheck” really is.
“I have no idea how to fix it and won’t blame the illegals. But the second they do anything to remedy it I’ll scream voter suppression and bash republicans as anti-democracy. Oh yeah while I’m here, orange man bad and capitalism has failed.”

bbsam

Staff member
“I have no idea how to fix it and won’t blame the illegals. But the second they do anything to remedy it I’ll scream voter suppression and bash republicans as anti-democracy. Oh yeah while I’m here, orange man bad and capitalism has failed.”
Well, the problem besides the “less than 1/2 of %1” of voter fraud is that there is a history of those in power attempting to suppress certain in order to stay in power. I believe there was a Pennsylvania republican official in 2015 who described exactly how to do that to help the orange man win.