Coronavirus

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
We started with one known case and it expanded from there and into South Dakota too. Did South Dakota suffer much more as predicted by the media because they didn't shut down? Meanwhile in places that were "shut down" there were still busy supermarkets where people went back to their homes. Why were places like that, Walmart, Home Depot still open but local businesses couldn't practice social distancing, etc and stay open? Numbers wise this hasn't turned into what they thought with millions dead in this country alone spanning across all ages. It's primarily a senior citizen problem, especially for those with serious health issues already. It was prudent at the start to be careful, but knowing what we know how come some states are dragging their feet? Could it be political?
I’m pretty sure that we did not start with one case. We developed infections on the west coast from travelers from China. When that was shut down, and rightly so, the east coast, mainly NYC, became the new entry point into the country via European travel. When it was announced there would be a travel ban, NYC was flooded with planes from Europe with infected travelers. That’s why there are more infections there than South Dakota.

vantexan

I’m pretty sure that we did not start with one case. We developed infections on the west coast from travelers from China. When that was shut down, and rightly so, the east coast, mainly NYC, became the new entry point into the country via European travel. When it was announced there would be a travel ban, NYC was flooded with planes from Europe with infected travelers. That’s why there are more infections there than South Dakota.
There may not have been a patient zero, but relatively few started the spread which is in all 50 states now. But the fact is that some states didn't shut down, South Dakota and Arkansas in particular, and haven't suffered any worse than half of the states. And New York suffered much more than others beyond an already serious outbreak because Cuomo required nursing homes to take infected patients. And a number of States have reopened without an explosion in new infections. States dragging their feet on reopening are only making their problems worse.

Up In Smoke

I don't think you get it. South Dakota's governor was slammed for refusing to shut down her state by the Media. Turned out she was right, it was no worse there than in States that shut down. A lot better than a lot of States that did.
As of yesterday, California was 2,627 infections per million and S. Dakota was 5,418 per million infected.

vantexan

As of yesterday, California was 2,627 infections per million and S. Dakota was 5,418 per million infected.
Except South Dakota only has ~884,000 people and California has a lot more total cases. Good for California to do what they've done but my point has been from the start that South Dakota didn't shut down and it's not suffering anymore than most. Also it's already been determined in L.A. County alone there have been at least half a million cases unreported because overall they got it wrong about the seriousness. A lot of people have had it while not even realizing it. Time to reopen.

China was not "shut down".

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
F8A5C0F3-60D7-40AA-B990-E8C9FE80D81B.jpeg

She’s safe from the RONA but putting every driver on the road that meets her in danger.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
We developed infections on the west coast from travelers from China. When that was shut down, and rightly so, the east coast, mainly NYC, became the new entry point into the country via European travel. When it was announced there would be a travel ban, NYC was flooded with planes from Europe with infected travelers. That’s why there are more infections there than South Dakota.
Because the governor of South Dakota banned flights from Asia and Europe?

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
A taste of freedom in the Lone Star State

Galveston, Texas — After spending two months in Warden Newsom’s COVID-19 prison, I decided it was time to make like El Chapo, and escape to freedom.

I was sick and tired of staring at the same four walls, watching Judge Judy reruns and eating Uncrustables — with no end in sight.

First, they told us all we needed to do was flatten the curve and not overwhelm the hospitals. Now, we are expected to stay inside until there is herd immunity or we get a vaccine.

But who knows how long before that happens, if it ever does. After all, we are still waiting on vaccines for SARS, HIV and MERS, among others.

Now that I’m in the Lone Star State, I must confess — freedom tastes good. In fact, it tastes like a steak and scotch at a restaurant with other humans. The restaurants and bars are busy, people are spending money, and they’re sick and tired of wasting their lives away while politicians who don’t know what they’re talking about constantly move the goalposts. The vulnerable wear masks or stay home, and everyone else is living their lives as normal.

Sportello

Travel from there was. That’s what I meant.
Not true, either. Travel for Chinese nationals was halted. There were 44,000 people who entered the US from China during that time. There was not a mandatory quarantine and contact tracing. That's on Donnie. You are correct that the bonehead move of suddenly coming out with a vague order to halt travel from parts of Europe within hours and the poorly handled rush through NY area airports was most likely a driver of the pandemic. That's on Donnie, too.

You know what may have saved 60,000+ lives? If Donnie had worn a mask from day one and encouraged everyone else to, there may have been a fraction of the deaths. That's on Donnie.

His trying to place blame on China is ridiculous. Why in the world would he think an aggressive, Communist dictatorship would be open?
China is not afraid of us at all.

“Over the past decade, in U.S. war games against China, the United States has a nearly perfect record: We have lost almost every single time."

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Not true, either. Travel for Chinese nationals was halted. There were 44,000 people who entered the US from China during that time. There was not a mandatory quarantine and contact tracing. That's on Donnie. You are correct that the bonehead move of suddenly coming out with a vague order to halt travel from parts of Europe within hours and the poorly handled rush through NY area airports was most likely a driver of the pandemic. That's on Donnie, too.

You know what may have saved 60,000+ lives? If Donnie had worn a mask from day one and encouraged everyone else to, there may have been a fraction of the deaths. That's on Donnie.

His trying to place blame on China is ridiculous. Why in the world would he think an aggressive, Communist dictatorship would be open?
China is not afraid of us at all.

“Over the past decade, in U.S. war games against China, the United States has a nearly perfect record: We have lost almost every single time."
Wrong

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
New Study Casts More Doubt on Effectiveness of Masks in Preventing COVID-19 Spread

Research published in the Annals of Internal Medicine last month found that both surgical and cloth masks proved ineffective in preventing the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.

Conducted by clinical researchers at several universities in Seoul, South Korea, the study involved four patients receiving medical care for COVID-19. (Previous studies researching the efficacy of masks examined transmission of other viruses.)

Unfortunately, the results were not encouraging.

Pandemics are scary, and fear is a powerful force. But as my colleague Sean Malone recently observed, when collective fear tramples individual liberty, really bad things tend to happen.

So choose to wear a mask or choose to not wear one—but resist the temptation to force or shame others over their decision.

The bottom line is people deserve a choice, and good ideas generally don’t require force.

rod

Retired 23 years
I find myself mouthing the words "get friend'ed" a lot while wearing a mask. One of these days I suppose that will backfire on me if I forget.