Dispatch

Fergus Mahoney

Capital District moved all dispatchersfrom an office setting to working from home. This has lead to a severe drop off in quality and timeliness of work. Pups are assigned to wrong routes, clearing is almost always a 15 minute wait. And when they do they will still assign pups to you. Or is this just me.

MassWineGuy

That is one wild development! How can anyone dispatch from home effectively? A terrible idea.

When you get your stop list, be sure to message them all those that aren’t your route, send same msg to your manager and then just do your stops.

When asking to clear, wait two minutes and send another request. Then just drive back to the building. If they send you more stops say you’re back at the station and can’t get them.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It’s been going on for months here. It sucks! We have one dispatcher who really knows his job and another who is clueless. Everything takes FOREVER. I guess it’s kind of hard to dispatch while watching Judge Judy. Lol.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Capital District moved all dispatchersfrom an office setting to working from home. This has lead to a severe drop off in quality and timeliness of work. Pups are assigned to wrong routes, clearing is almost always a 15 minute wait. And when they do they will still assign pups to you. Or is this just me.
I bet the dispatchers are ecstatic that they don’t have to drive into DC every day. I know that was a big hardship for some.

MassWineGuy

I would hate having to commute into the District every day.

We have a few dispatchers, one of which is excellent. Some are inert and just do the job. Others are total nitwits who have no clue what their job is about. I’m very lucky to have a manager who understands this and backs me up.

NC man

just found this out about two weeks ago, several new hires its seems too. They send tons of pups to me knowing I will tell em which rte it is

btrlov

I also thought the concept of “working from home” is dangerous because local wages could be diluted by lower cost labor somewhere else.

Especially companies like the big 2 shipping companies which are know to go through quite an effort to reduce labor cost.

whenIgetthere

That is one wild development! How can anyone dispatch from home effectively? A terrible idea.

When you get your stop list, be sure to message them all those that aren’t your route, send same msg to your manager and then just do your stops.

When asking to clear, wait two minutes and send another request. Then just drive back to the building. If they send you more stops say you’re back at the station and can’t get them.
I send 10/19 and head in. My last dropbox is 45 minutes before the CTV leaves, and I am it's 40 minutes from the station.

Star B

White Lightening
Wow. Forty minutes is a long haul. There’s no way that I wait to hear that I’m cleared if I know I made every stop.
When you have that long of a haul, you really aren't going to get anything more from Dispatch, so as long as you know you did your work, you'll clear as soon as they wake up from their nap.

MassWineGuy

When I request to clear I start driving back. Sometimes I’ve gotten messages that, of course, I don’t read while driving.

Recently I’d just gotten back and was doing my VIR. Dispatch said I had opened a drop box one minute early and wanted me to go do it again. I closed the box after the ready time and was there if someone showed up at the last minute. I told him I wasn’t going back.

Another time, my manager said I could skip a Walgreens because it would have meant getting back quite late. I told dispatch who didn’t believe me and tried calling my manager. She thinks this particular guy is a jerk and refuses to take his calls. Obviously, nothing bad happened.

SmithBarney

When I request to clear I start driving back. Sometimes I’ve gotten messages that, of course, I don’t read while driving.

Recently I’d just gotten back and was doing my VIR. Dispatch said I had opened a drop box one minute early and wanted me to go do it again. I closed the box after the ready time and was there if someone showed up at the last minute. I told him I wasn’t going back.

Another time, my manager said I could skip a Walgreens because it would have meant getting back quite late. I told dispatch who didn’t believe me and tried calling my manager. She thinks this particular guy is a jerk and refuses to take his calls. Obviously, nothing bad happened.
FYI some boxes have 5/10/15 minute early open windows, which allows you to open and start processing packages prior to ready time,(expecially useful for heavy volume boxes) just don't scan your last package prior to ready. Also if you have pickup exception(GROUND in box) you cannot open box early. You should be able to do a dropbox set up with PPAD or maybe LEO to adjust early window.