Express handing resi deliveries to Ground

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I'll be glad to after you provide a list of all the couriers that you feel aren't performing like Superman everyday.

In the meantime, go play with your Etch-A-Sketch to make your worthless graphs that obviously haven't done the company any good.

And thaaaaat's about what I figured.

59 Dano

Lamont huh? Your racism is starting is showing,

Lamont is the only TV character in history who was constantly referred to as a "big dummy." If you think the insult has a racial component to it, then you're dumber than I though you big dummy.

59 Dano

Are these the same standards that Ground couriers are held to?

Nope. The performance standard that a Ground courier has, as far as FedEx is concerned, is that the package is properly delivered by the commit time. FedEx doesn't give a rat's rear end if the guy wastes 90 minutes goofing off every day.

59 Dano

I think lack of density drives productivity down for Express. Too few trucks covering too large of an area makes those commits harder to hit.

Routes will be restructured and the lower number of paid hours will more than offset whatever that lack of density ends up being.

bacha29

You can laugh if you want but in light of the explosion in the growth in e-commerce and the avalanche of e-commerce boxes about to bury ground none of you have answered what is by far the most important question of all:

Will the supply of high production, high procession high dedication low wage labor grow proportionately for every terminal in every part of the country?

59 Dano

You can laugh if you want but in light of the explosion in the growth in e-commerce and the avalanche of e-commerce boxes about to bury ground none of you have answered what is by far the most important question of all:

Will the supply of high production, high procession high dedication low wage labor grow proportionately for every terminal in every part of the country?

No.

NEXT!

bacha29

No.

NEXT!
Child, I'm so proud of you. You get the cookie. The was one time Child when you saw a truck that had been sitting in the same spot all day long and you asked me why it wasn't moving and I told you it was because there was nobody to drive it. And chances are you're going to see a lot more of them sitting all day.

bbsam

Staff member

Oh look. A brand new problem nobody has ever dealt with!

bbsam

Staff member
No, it's called turnover and eventually it will stop on it's own when there's nobody left to turnover.
Because that’s what happens. All of a sudden nobody shows up to work and the company folds. Jesus, bacha. Sometimes the things you post about an Armageddon of qualified workers is just nonsensical.

bacha29

Oh look. A brand new problem nobody has ever dealt with!
It's a problem that might come to fruition sooner than you think. The question I presented seems to be one that every one of the contributors to this site wants to avoid. As e-commerce continues to grow exponentially the question then becomes will the supply of qualified low wage labor essential to it's success grow proportionally to the point where every contractor in every terminal has enough of it to fulfill his significantly increased needs?

Care to venture a guess as to what might happen to a contractor for whom Peak 2019 becomes Peak All Year Round?

BTW A short time ago the broker board I follow posted 53 new for sale contracts. And of those 53 care to guess how many came with an asking price at least equal to 1 years gross volume?.........10..... The rest appear to be at "take it off your hands" prices.

yadig

I’m hoping that with all this volume going to ground it may create labor issues. If those poor guys are smart they will start talking to the teamsters. I’m betting there is a lot of couriers, RTD’s minds beginning to change. It’s just business..... your a number.. ground will b fine. It’s just delivering boxes, not heart transplants. I guess the contractors will b chasing Fred’s carrot now! Lol

What do you guys consider cheap labor?

Ground pays more than $15.00 hour in salary. Turnover usually happens when guys feel like the stop count is way to high even if they are being paid per stop. Another is they might be new to the job and the learning curve of figuring how to do a route the fastest way may take forever so they are getting home late everyday and feel like quitting

I don’t know how this will all turn out but if my stop count increases I will be getting paid more

Gone fishin

What do you guys consider cheap labor?

Ground pays more than $15.00 hour in salary. Turnover usually happens when guys feel like the stop count is way to high even if they are being paid per stop. Another is they might be new to the job and the learning curve of figuring how to do a route the fastest way may take forever so they are getting home late everyday and feel like quitting

I don’t know how this will all turn out but if my stop count increases I will be getting paid more
If ground takes a majority of the freight it could change the whole dynamic of ground.
First , it gives the owner/contractor an incredible amount of leverage with Fedx as they commit most of the business to them.
Second, the ground driver is no longer the side dish , they’re the meat and potatoes of the company. The question they have to ask themselves is why don’t I have healthcare, retirement, sick days and be able to work towards 5 weeks paid vacation.
The both of them together have Fred by the short ones if they decide to shut down and ask for a share more in line for the work they do.
Just a thought.

59 Dano

Child, I'm so proud of you. You get the cookie. The was one time Child when you saw a truck that had been sitting in the same spot all day long and you asked me why it wasn't moving and I told you it was because there was nobody to drive it. And chances are you're going to see a lot more of them sitting all day.

And then you woke up.