Express handing resi deliveries to Ground

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
If ground takes a majority of the freight it could change the whole dynamic of ground.
First , it gives the owner/contractor an incredible amount of leverage with Fedx as they commit most of the business to them.
Second, the ground driver is no longer the side dish , they’re the meat and potatoes of the company. The question they have to ask themselves is why don’t I have healthcare, retirement, sick days and be able to work towards 5 weeks paid vacation.
The both of them together have Fred by the short ones if they decide to shut down and ask for a share more in line for the work they do.
Just a thought.

Fred will tell them no and there isn't much they can or will do about it if they don't like it.

It will be fine

Point being , they’re the majority. He says no , they say no and we see who blinks first.
They can find another comparable wage job , he loses his business
Are you unclear on the fact Ground drivers work for independent contractors? Every driver wants more money, I have no problem telling people that if my wages aren’t good enough for them they are free to leave. I just ask them to be professional and give me 2 weeks notice. It’s a high turnover entry level job, there’s not much bargaining power in it.

Gone fishin

Are you unclear on the fact Ground drivers work for independent contractors? Every driver wants more money, I have no problem telling people that if my wages aren’t good enough for them they are free to leave. I just ask them to be professional and give me 2 weeks notice. It’s a high turnover entry level job, there’s not much bargaining power in it.
Obviously I understand the business 30 years in. What I’m telling you is you’ve never had this much power.
He’s putting all the eggs in your basket.
It’s contingent on you getting most of the p 2 of course.
Fred’s also said you’re his future because of the e-commerce growth.

Maui

I was told the exact same thing.
I think that person is looking at this wrong.

Most likely that represents the percentage of total stops that are resi E2/XS. Not everything is eligible to move - pharma, signatures, DG and those that won’t make the commit.

It will more likely result in average stations losing 4-5 routes which can be accomplished through attrition.

Still significant savings, but nothing to get so alarmed about.

It will be fine

Obviously I understand the business 30 years in. What I’m telling you is you’ve never had this much power.
He’s putting all the eggs in your basket.
It’s contingent on you getting most of the p 2 of course.
Fred’s also said you’re his future because of the e-commerce growth.
Contractors won’t band together to try and force better compensation. They watch the weak contractors fail and take their stuff for themselves for free. It’s cutthroat by design.

bacha29

If ground takes a majority of the freight it could change the whole dynamic of ground.
First , it gives the owner/contractor an incredible amount of leverage with Fedx as they commit most of the business to them.
Second, the ground driver is no longer the side dish , they’re the meat and potatoes of the company. The question they have to ask themselves is why don’t I have healthcare, retirement, sick days and be able to work towards 5 weeks paid vacation.
The both of them together have Fred by the short ones if they decide to shut down and ask for a share more in line for the work they do.
Just a thought.
X has these mercenary contractors roving around the country. They move them in almost immediately after a contractor defaults or simply walks out. They're like locusts. They come in eat the best of the premium rates X gives them while waiting for the next lucky contestant to step up to the plate and takes over while they drive away laughing .

bacha29

Contractors won’t band together to try and force better compensation. They watch the weak contractors fail and take their stuff for themselves for free. It’s cutthroat by design.
You seem awfully confident that the same fate that befell the contractors you speak of will never happen to you.

bacha29

You pay by the stop with no set hourly wage above your state's minimum wage. So with the avalanche of boxes coming your way just exactly what makes you supremely confident that you won't be running the risk of running out of low wage workers yourself?

It will be fine

You pay by the stop with no set hourly wage above your state's minimum wage. So with the avalanche of boxes coming your way just exactly what makes you supremely confident that you won't be running the risk of running out of low wage workers yourself?
I don’t pay by the stop. I’m confident because I’ve grown my company consistently for 20 years. I understand that you don’t comprehend how that works but it does. The move to 7 days has actually provided me more coverage. My people are scheduled for 5 days a week so we always have plenty of people to cover call offs or turnover. Competent contractors have learned how to scale their companies. Your fear is not reflected in successful contractor’s operations. You know this firsthand because the guy that bought your old contract has been running it with employees for years.

MAKAVELI

Most likely that represents the percentage of total stops that are resi E2/XS. Not everything is eligible to move - pharma, signatures, DG and those that won’t make the commit.

It will more likely result in average stations losing 4-5 routes which can be accomplished through attrition.

What makes you think they won't eventually take everything but DG?

bacha29

I don’t pay by the stop. I’m confident because I’ve grown my company consistently for 20 years. I understand that you don’t comprehend how that works but it does. The move to 7 days has actually provided me more coverage. My people are scheduled for 5 days a week so we always have plenty of people to cover call offs or turnover. Competent contractors have learned how to scale their companies. Your fear is not reflected in successful contractor’s operations. You know this firsthand because the guy that bought your old contract has been running it with employees for years.
Ok so you pay by that so called "salary'" deal. Whether it takes 8 hours to "clean" that day or 12 hours to "clean" or whether it's Saturday or Sunday or Easter Sunday it all pays the same. Judging by your comments I'm clearly a thorn in your side for having a clear understanding of the con you're running here. Sorry about that.

You're not doing anything X cannot do themselves except for two reasons only. To provide trucks and pay at wages X would be too embarrassed to pay their own people and to serve as a firewall against the incursion of a union represented workforce.
Your past comments clearly projects as a progressive liberal and most Bostonian's are. However the right to organize and to seek collective bargaining are also a part huge part of the progressive agenda.

Now as you keep growing that so called "company" of yours the larger the target you become for unionization in a state that is pro labor and politically progressive . But unfortunately when not if but when it happens you'll be left with no choice but to do Fat Freddy's bidding in behalf of the staunch anti union conservative he undoubtedly is.

vantexan

I wonder how much of this nonsense we could have avoided if you dumb asses would have only voted to go union! Now FredEx can slowly dissolve express and cut payroll and benefits. Good job!
Hmmm, I don't recall a vote ever being taken. Seems the only way we could was if we were taken out of the Railroad Labor Act. FredEx contributed millions to Democrat campaigns and that effort failed. The only ignorant ass is the one who is talking out of his OLCC ass.

Sniper

If I recall in 2009 the "language" was written into the FAA re-authorization bill. One party was obsessed with passing Obama Care... on CHRISTmas Eve if memory serves. (we have to pass it to know what's in it). My premiums and deductibles went up and coverage went down. The language was there and so were the votes... The democrats sat on their ass. Now next year, 2021, the old crew at Express must decide about the portable pension. I liked the traditional pension which was in place when I signed the line. Guess what.... The FedEx Pilots Association got smart. Time will tell... it always does. I love my job most days. Always have a plan B and C. I've been blessed and taking advantage of LWOP days as a trial run to retirement.

Serf

Sure. Seems plausible. I’m just wondering what a day route full timer does after his P1’s? Even if he or she used to have only 15 p2 resi. Same thing for swing drivers. Hours wise...

Serf

nal and give me 2 weeks notice. It’s a high turnover entry level job, there’s not much bargaining power in it.
That seems strange to me. Because UPS does similar density and it’s not an entry level job with high turnover. And solid wages. What makes ground more entry level than UPS?