Fired for bringing back unscanned packages

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree on the "slam dunk" but, over the years, the union side of the panel, for some odd reason, can't seem to discern right from wrong, good from bad and, hence, the overwhelming fear the grievant could be fired over some "under the table" dealings.

It shouldn't be this way.

So they could trade his job to save several others?

trickpony1

So they could trade his job to save several others?

Yes. Despite what you and some others may believe, management is fraught with liars and thieves and they will cover for each other.

The management involved in the scam will still be employed and paid whereas the victim, who didn't smile at the right person or cheat to make good numbers, is kicked to the curb.

Last edited:

kingOFchester

I would normally say take the deal but not in this case. If everything the OP said is correct then he was wrongfully terminated and should demand not only his job back but full back pay as well.

I would take deal. Small risk of termination, however huge consequences if dice aren't in your favor. $2million or better in wages lost. benefits. Pension. Long shot that it would stick, but again. Lose a few day pay, or risk losing 3+ million.

Risk vs reward.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes. Despite what you and some others may believe, management is fraught with liars and thieves and they will cover for each other.

The management involved in the scam will still be employed and paid whereas the victim, who didn't smile at the right person or cheat to make good numbers, is kicked to the curb.

I was referring to other union jobs.

BrownTexas

How were you fired for missed scans? They weren't in your board to begin with if they were misloads.

You sent a misload message to the center .. And you recorded them when you returned to the building as missed... what the hell else are you supposed to do???
I have been told that all packages are to be scanned on area before returning to the building. Any I scanned pkgs will look like you are trying to "smoke" them if they happen to do a night audit of your truck.

BrownTexas

We had the same noncommunication issue with the management and after they stomped around about "incompletes" one morning in the PCM we agreed that if they don't respond within 15 min to our misloaded pkgs we sheet them as missed.
When they saw them pop up as missed in the office they figured a way to get them off the car and delivered. We then voided the pkgs that were sheeted as missed.
If I out that I can't deliver them, I make them as missed right away. That way I don't forget and accidentally bring them back without them being recorded. I can always void out the package of told to deliver them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I out that I can't deliver them, I make them as missed right away. That way I don't forget and accidentally bring them back without them being recorded. I can always void out the package of told to deliver them.

I don't sheet them right away but will instead set them behind the jump seat in the 2000 section so that I don't forget them.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I agree on the "slam dunk" but, over the years, the union side of the panel, for some odd reason, can't seem to discern right from wrong, good from bad and, hence, the overwhelming fear the grievant could be fired over some "under the table" dealings.

It shouldn't be this way.
look at the quality of people perpetually on "that" side...

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

10 point

I don't sheet them right away but will instead set them behind the jump seat in the 2000 section so that I don't forget them.
And if you don't remember to sheet them before you rtb they pull an audit in the pkg lot you're right back to the OP's scenario.

Send it in thru Misload Communication. Message it in within the next 10 mi. Sheet as missed on road before rtb.

Every mgmnt team does it differently. Your liability remains the same. Sheet every pkg. The sooner the better.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And if you don't remember to sheet them before you rtb they pull an audit in the pkg lot you're right back to the OP's scenario.

Send it in thru Misload Communication. Message it in within the next 10 mi. Sheet as missed on road before rtb.

Every mgmnt team does it differently. Your liability remains the same. Sheet every pkg. The sooner the better.

If I don't hear back from them I sheet them as missed while sitting at one of my drop boxes.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
A lot of times around 445 I'll get a message saying "please sheet that up as closed. They closed at 2 today. Make sure it's done before 5" knowing DAMN well that place didn't close at 2

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
You will have to wait for a response from upstate new york. He will tell you if you will get your jobs back. Please stand by

Re-Raise

We should have the option to sheet any misloads immediately when we find them as "misloaded on wrong car".

From there management could send us a request to deliver if they want to make that financial decision.

The system we currently have in place, where management tries to hide undelivered packages and therefore encourages the drivers to be complicit in their lies, is ridiculous.

Just be honest with our customers and try to fix the problem if there is one instead of trying your best to hide it.

JL 0513

What kind if hellfire comes down on a center manager if there are missed from the previous day? The way missed are treated, you would think the center manager has his very career threatened if there's a missed pkg? We all know it's not good, it's a service failure...But WHY is it so bad that most centers cover it up with dishonesty. If the center manager's do indeed get killed on a call the next morning, then this is what breeds cover ups of real reports. The center manager shouldn't hear a word about missed or even late air unless it's excessive. It is what it is and the center manager can deal with it on their own without higher management giving him crap.

Anyone really know what happens each morning when service failures happen?

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
What kind if hellfire comes down on a center manager if there are missed from the previous day? The way missed are treated, you would think the center manager has his very career threatened if there's a missed pkg? We all know it's not good, it's a service failure...But WHY is it so bad that most centers cover it up with dishonesty. If the center manager's do indeed get killed on a call the next morning, then this is what breeds cover ups of real reports. The center manager shouldn't hear a word about missed or even late air unless it's excessive. It is what it is and the center manager can deal with it on their own without higher management giving him crap.

Anyone really know what happens each morning when service failures happen?

Because it will show up on a report somewhere up the food -chain.
This should be avoided at any cost.