Fired for bringing back unscanned packages

UnconTROLLed

perfection
HR or not the cost had to be laid at the feet of somebody and I'm sure that the center took the hit because that's where his domicile is.
It's really an accounting issue. And we all know that UPS will NEVER EVER pay a dime unless forced, as in, the management team is absolutely certain the person will be persistent and exhaust every option. Seems like the OP is deemed a "problem child" and UPS was trying to set it's usual example of over-discipline. Hopefully they picked on the wrong person.

DRIVER-X

Yesterday I discovered 5 misloads in my Truck, sent the messages with the DIAD and never got a response with what to do with them.. In my center we are not allowed to sheet anything as missed without prior authorization from a member of the management team.. I worked all the way up to my DOT hours due to the fact I was on a route that I had only been on a few times, and the truck being brick loaded.. Since I never received a message with what to do with the packages and not having time to run them, I returned to the building with unscanned packages on my truck. Once I parked my vehicle I went to the acting manager with my problem and explained the situation. I had not yet clocked out but he gave me another board and had me sheet them all as missed. Today I report for work and get called into the office with an article 7 termination...

Is this something I can get my job back for or is this it for me and UPS
From what Ive seen,you can be fired for unscanned pkgs. Call somebody, If no answer Missed.Thats on mgmt if the didnt make a move. You tried your best. From my experience. Sounds like a setup!

Brisket

We're so glad preloaders actually show up at 330 am for 10.50 an hour that we don't tell them anything.
Simply put, whether or not you like what you are doing, either do your job to the best of your ability ( which includes getting the right package on the right truck) , or sorry there is someone else that will do the job ( yes we all know it sucks but at least try)

Boulevard859710

Yesterday I discovered 5 misloads in my Truck, sent the messages with the DIAD and never got a response with what to do with them.. In my center we are not allowed to sheet anything as missed without prior authorization from a member of the management team.. I worked all the way up to my DOT hours due to the fact I was on a route that I had only been on a few times, and the truck being brick loaded.. Since I never received a message with what to do with the packages and not having time to run them, I returned to the building with unscanned packages on my truck. Once I parked my vehicle I went to the acting manager with my problem and explained the situation. I had not yet clocked out but he gave me another board and had me sheet them all as missed. Today I report for work and get called into the office with an article 7 termination...

Is this something I can get my job back for or is this it for me and UPS
Technically you did scan them when you call in misloads on your board you scan them so their firing you is bull:censored2:.

Simply put, whether or not you like what you are doing, either do your job to the best of your ability ( which includes getting the right package on the right truck) , or sorry there is someone else that will do the job ( yes we all know it sucks but at least try)
They pound the snot out of those guys and gals for less than I make in a hour.

Thanks H*

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Sending them in through the misload screen is NOT the same as sheeting them.

He told us, brown cafe, they have been instructed NOT to sheet anything missed unless told to do so by management. Get one other driver to verify this directive and give it to the BA. So without them telling him to deliver them after his DOT hours ran out what did he do wrong? My god this guy's BA should be knees deep up this "acting center manager's" poop chute!

Yes, One of the shop stewards was in the room when I told the manager. The manager gave me his board to scan them as missed instead of using mine for some reason, even though I was still punched in..

WTF is the twilight shift manager doing with an open board?!?!?! WTF is the twilight shift manager doing with ANY BOARD?!?! At this point Atlanta should be knees deep up everyone's poop chute. What am I missing here? On Cars shuttling packages at best, delivering them in their personal cars at worst. Ghost Boards being used by management for...well who the hell knows what they are scanning and not scanning and what they sheet those packages as. Is this common practice at other centers, Management having their own boards?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He told us, brown cafe, they have been instructed NOT to sheet anything missed unless told to do so by management. Get one other driver to verify this directive and give it to the BA. So without them telling him to deliver them after his DOT hours ran out what did he do wrong? My god this guy's BA should be knees deep up this "acting center manager's" poop chute!

WTF is the twilight shift manager doing with an open board?!?!?! WTF is the twilight shift manager doing with ANY BOARD?!?! At this point Atlanta should be knees deep up everyone's poop chute. What am I missing here? On Cars shuttling packages at best, delivering them in their personal cars at worst. Ghost Boards being used by management for...well who the hell knows what they are scanning and not scanning and what they sheet those packages as. Is this common practice at other centers, Management having their own boards?

It is common practice to have an open board, which is usually the same one used by the customer counter clerk(s). Ours is also used by the OMS to sheet SDWC's after the counter has closed.

Based on everything the OP has told us his termination was NOT justified.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
you still have to put a disposition in the board why it didn't get serviced.

I'll sheet missed. If someone meets me for misloads, I'll edit missed stop and void package

This.

Send the misload in, and immediately sheet as missed.

Trust me, someone will get back to you in a hurry.

Benben

It is common practice to have an open board, which is usually the same one used by the customer counter clerk(s). Ours is also used by the OMS to sheet SDWC's after the counter has closed.

OK, that makes a lot more sense than what I was envisioning.

Benben

Ok, playing devil's advocate here.

Could this be a case where the acting center manager went way overboard in walking him out, knowing full well once the grievance was brought the termination would be tossed faster than a Nolan Ryan fastball? Doubling down with this line of thought, at 14 hours on road this driver more than likely would not have the required 10 hours off duty before his scheduled start time to allow him to drive the next day.

I still do not in anyway agree or condone the screwing with this man's head and emotions nor the criminal emotional assault that this inflicts upon his family!