Get your ice before you clock in

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It is my position that this is not stealing time and also that ice is a necessity.

UPS local management seem to love to get UPS employees to “steal time” from themselves in this and similar ways.

I don’t get it.
What if there was no ice machine, or the sucker broke?

oie_overlay.gif

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Right now there doesn’t seem to be any over allowed. I found if I stop caring and give my sup a whatever attitude things change.

As soon as I found out I had a 10 minute paid break I started taking it. And I stopped working my whole day and then taking my lunch. Bam. No more “pep talks”/harassment. Sent out light 2 days in a row and then helped some other guys out and did some pickups. So either I’m fired or I’m in. IDK
You get 2 paid breaks, and if it's dangerously hot you can take as many as you need to perform your job safely. Their numbers are bull:censored2: and over allowed doesn't reflect real world conditions on a lot of routes.

mcsketcher

You get 2 paid breaks, and if it's dangerously hot you can take as many as you need to perform your job safely. Their numbers are bull:censored2: and over allowed doesn't reflect real world conditions on a lot of routes.
2?! So another lie. Is this in the contract? I need to read it better.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

View attachment 393086
It’s weird that it doesn’t say arrive to work early and work off the clock…
I’ve heard this from management but never received in warning letter for not working off the clock.

Respectfully decline and if he insists suggest he find a steward if he wants to issue a verbal warning for it. He will probably decline and move on to the next guy to try this non sense with.
"Arrive at your center on time" is somewhat ambiguous. Suppose your start time is 8am-----does this mean that you show up at 7:45am and then "complete your morning activities" before the PCM "without having to rush" or do you show up right at 8am and you are "having to rush" after the PCM to grab your DIAD, supplies and, if needed, ice, before going to your PC , putting your stuff away, linking the DIAD to the PC, downloading EDD while performing the pretrip? Back in the day we were instructed to show up at least 10-15 minutes early to ensure that we are ready to go once the PCM was done; in fact, there was one morning when our DM was giving the PCM and one of our drivers strolled in at 5 minutes after start time. The look on our DM and center manager's faces was priceless. 10:30 doesn't change-----"not being on time can jeopardize service commitments to our customers".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Install an ice vending machine. Problem solved.
watch the ned ice guys suddenly not need ice.
A few years before I retired we had an issue with feeder drivers taking their time punching out. The time clock was near the managers office and the feeder drivers would enter the building through the mechanic's bay, which was on the other side of the building, and they would stop and BS with the mechanic. It got to the point where a time clock was installed near that door.

tripperslipper

OK to operate
Just to add a little fuel to the fire, my supervisor didn't specifically tell me to get ice before clocking in. They said "fill your water bottles," which implies water and ice in this weather. It's 104 friend out today. Ice is not optional.
Furthermore, I use water to facilitate the connection of the diad to the cradle. So if I wanted to be a smartass, let's acknowledge that encouraging or knowingly allowing employees to complete work tasks off the clock is illegal.

To be clear I don't give a rats ass about 2 minutes here or there on my timecard. What am I gonna do with that buy a stick of gum? It's the principal of the micromanagement and disregard for anything beyond numbers that invigorates me

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Just to add a little fuel to the fire, my supervisor didn't specifically tell me to get ice before clocking in. They said "fill your water bottles," which implies water and ice in this weather. It's 104 friend out today. Ice is not optional.
Furthermore, I use water to facilitate the connection of the diad to the cradle. So if I wanted to be a smartass, let's acknowledge that encouraging or knowingly allowing employees to complete work tasks off the clock is illegal.

To be clear I don't give a rats ass about 2 minutes here or there on my timecard. What am I gonna do with that buy a stick of gum? It's the principal of the micromanagement and disregard for anything beyond numbers that invigorates me
How does water facilitate Diad/cradle connection???

tripperslipper

OK to operate
You put a little water on your pins and suddenly the POS works.
We're on diad V by the way.
Professionals use a mister bottle...one spritz after each stop and it's like it isn't even a completely incapable, incompetently designed piece of technology in the first place

tripperslipper

OK to operate
Fair enough, can't be mad at that. Personally i'm willing to compromise and assist with someone/thing's shortcomings if it improves my life too.

The other option is having my board die around 5pm and delivering with no EDD until around 9 by taking pictures of the labels on my phone, then getting back to the building, getting a new battery and sheeting everything, only to find out I had signature packages, intercepts, etc.
Reading one label at a time and driving to that stop in PAL order gets old fast. I'd rather just splash some water on it

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Fair enough, can't be mad at that. Personally i'm willing to compromise and assist with someone/thing's shortcomings if it improves my life too.

The other option is having my board die around 5pm and delivering with no EDD until around 9 by taking pictures of the labels on my phone, then getting back to the building, getting a new battery and sheeting everything, only to find out I had signature packages, intercepts, etc.
Reading one label at a time and driving to that stop in PAL order gets old fast. I'd rather just splash some water on it
Beat it @Barney

El Correcto

god is dead
"Arrive at your center on time" is somewhat ambiguous. Suppose your start time is 8am-----does this mean that you show up at 7:45am and then "complete your morning activities" before the PCM "without having to rush" or do you show up right at 8am and you are "having to rush" after the PCM to grab your DIAD, supplies and, if needed, ice, before going to your PC , putting your stuff away, linking the DIAD to the PC, downloading EDD while performing the pretrip? Back in the day we were instructed to show up at least 10-15 minutes early to ensure that we are ready to go once the PCM was done; in fact, there was one morning when our DM was giving the PCM and one of our drivers strolled in at 5 minutes after start time. The look on our DM and center manager's faces was priceless. 10:30 doesn't change-----"not being on time can jeopardize service commitments to our customers
Mr. Dave I don’t got to win this argument with you because I have already won it against an on road, multiple times.