Global warming

BrownArmy

And what proof would you accept to admit that global warming/climate change is fake?

You tell me. What evidence would convince you that it's fake?

I'll bite:

The evidence is on the side of 'not-fake', aside from what you believe to be true.

When I say that, I mean that it's not disputable that climate change is happening, and it's not disputable that it's occurring on a scale that dwarfs anything we have on record...is it man-made? How the friend should I know, I'm not a scientist.

Many of the 'deniers' are turning out to have ties with and or are being funded by big oil and the Koch brothers, who have vested interests in keeping their cash-cows alive and kicking.

The Koch Brothers are 'socially' quite liberal, but will back anyone that advances their 'CASH MONEY AT ANY OTHER COST' strategy.

Your preposition that scientists are faking data because they want/need grants is laughable at best. In fact, in our current idiot Congress, the right-wingers, and most especially the Koch-brother funded right wingers (don't forget, the Koch's give money to Dems as well, if it suits there purpose) are working very hard to de-fund any scientist who even mentions 'climate-change'.

In that scenario, contrary to your assertion, these 'money-grubbing' scientists aren't faking data to get 'grants' or other such nonsense, they're actually risking whatever funding they have by going on the record as supporting the fact that climate change is
occurring.

The Pentagon has identified climate change as a very high-level threat to our national security. Is it your assertion that the Pentagon is just 'grubbing for funds'?

Ridiculous. The Pentagon has always been funded, and in recent decades they've been funded most by Republicans. Yet, today, the Pentagon is scared sh-less by this BLATANTLY IDEOLOGICAL turn in Congress...our naval bases are in danger of sinking into the sea, and the Pentagon is scared of Congress denying them funds if they mention climate change.

Long story short, climate change is occurring, whether or not its man-made.

In our current political climate, with the 'deniers' getting so much funding, we're not in a position to address the ACTUAL risks we're facing, and so we're getting way behind the eight-ball.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER CLIMATE CHANGE IS MAN-MADE OR NOT, IT'S HAPPENING, AND WE'RE GOING TO BE CAUGHT WITH OUR PANTS DOWN.

End of rant.

tourists24

"breitbart" in the link...what a surprise. I'm surprised you're not quoting the God's self-regulating Earth crowd. Really, you people are dumb.
are you saying because Breitbart displayed this video... then it was never reported in this manner just a couple of decades ago? hmmm

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
glaciers.jpg

BrownArmy

People look at the major snow happening in the northeast, and they say:

LOOK, HEAVY SNOW: hence, NO 'GLOBAL WARMING'.

They're wrong: oceans heat up, which leads to more water vapor in the atmosphere, which equals more snow.

Weather vs. Climate...

It's real. The climate is changing.

In some locations, this means very bad news, but in others, it might be a boon.

In either case, it seems to me, we should pay attention and take care of ourselves.

realbrown1

You're correct about the number of glaciers, but not their health.
Maybe. But in earth's history, there have at times, been more glaciers than we have right now and there have been less glaciers than we have right now.

And since we did go through a warming period about 15 years ago until just recently, when the temperatures have stabilized, I would expect that some glaciers would decline in mass over this time.

Now if the next 15 years we experience a cooling period, I would expect that many glaciers would have an increase in mass, and we might have some new glaciers forming.

See how that works?

P.S. thank you for admitting that you were wrong saying the we do not have the same amount of glaciers now as we did when Al Gore was born. Most of the TROLL PATROL would never admit that they were wrong, and would just deflect off of that fact.

realbrown1

"breitbart" in the link...what a surprise. I'm surprised you're not quoting the God's self-regulating Earth crowd. Really, you people are dumb.
Attacking the messenger again. Really?

Maybe because you can't attack the facts in the message.

Typical of the TROLL PATROL.

realbrown1

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER CLIMATE CHANGE IS MAN-MADE OR NOT, IT'S HAPPENING, AND WE'RE GOING TO BE CAUGHT WITH OUR PANTS DOWN.
If it is not caused by man kind, like I've been saying, what exactly do you want us to do about it?

I have been saying that we have warmed a bit because the SUN went through a HOT cycle. Many solar flares and so on.

That period is near an end (hopefully).

But what on earth could man kind do about that?

Hint, Hint. Not a god damned thing.

BrownArmy

I disagree, there are plenty of things we could do.

We have the technology (but not the infrastructure) to entirely divest ourselves from fossil fuels. This isn't a supply problem, it's a distribution problem.

Aside from potential 'climate change' effects of burning fossil fuels, it's just plain unhealthy, and frankly there is a limited supply. We need petrochemicals for more important things, like medical devices, etc.

We're wasting oil for no good reason.

Just my two cents.

realbrown1

I disagree, there are plenty of things we could do.

We have the technology (but not the infrastructure) to entirely divest ourselves from fossil fuels. This isn't a supply problem, it's a distribution problem.

Aside from potential 'climate change' effects of burning fossil fuels, it's just plain unhealthy, and frankly there is a limited supply. We need petrochemicals for more important things, like medical devices, etc.

We're wasting oil for no good reason.

Just my two cents.
If our warming period was caused by the SUN, you still do not get it.

There could be zero humans on earth, and no fossil fuels being used, and we would still have warming due to the solar hot period.

Why are you having such an issue with these facts and basic common sense?

BrownArmy

If our warming period was caused by the SUN, you still do not get it.

There could be zero humans on earth, and no fossil fuels being used, and we would still have warming due to the solar hot period.

Why are you having such an issue with these facts and basic common sense?

We have a limited supply of oil, which we need for more important things, why do you have an issue with that fact?

As well, I find it interesting that you handily dismiss so much science, yet base your argument on less-agreed upon science.

rickyb

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/03/19/3635437/merchants-of-doubt/

he now-classic book “Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming” has been made into a must-see documentary. The impeccable story-telling, clever visuals, and existentially important theme-make this an instant classic.

I guarantee that even the most jaded climate hawk will be both shocked and entertained by this film — and I say that as someone who has seen way too many climate documentaries. Also, this may be the perfect movie to bring one of your fence-sitting friends to.