Gov healthcare

klein

Für Meno :)
Auto insurance is mandatory here too, but I've been in more accidents in my personal vehicle with more uninsured drivers, than insured drivers. The best solution here is to give individuals the power to pick and choose their health insurers. Not their employers, not the government, but the individuals. It has worked in every other market, and there is no evidence that it would not work here.

I think I had 2 personal accidents with non insured or no licence or whatever it may have been. I was totally at fault, and yet , they kept driving as if nothing happened. Both of them went to the freeway, at that point I stopped the following.
Here, if you drive with no insurance or licence, or no valid plate, you're automatically at fault (since they are not legally on the road, and should have been on it on the first place).

Anyways, yes, I agree with you there, too.
They (UPS) should give you the $1000 or somewhat dollars and let you chose your own insurer and plan (deductables, etc).
But, mind you. UPS is part of a huge group plan, doubt it, if you could get it, elsewhere on your own, cheaper.

brett636

Anyways, yes, I agree with you there, too.
They (UPS) should give you the $1000 or somewhat dollars and let you chose your own insurer and plan (deductables, etc).
But, mind you. UPS is part of a huge group plan, doubt it, if you could get it, elsewhere on your own, cheaper.

Allowing individuals to purchase plans across state lines will remove the state by state oligopolies held by some insurance companies which will bring prices down by increasing competition.

fact check

Allowing individuals to purchase plans across state lines will remove the state by state oligopolies held by some insurance companies which will bring prices down by increasing competition.

Of all the misguided, ignorant things you've said, this has to rank near the top.

fact check

Auto insurance is mandatory here too, but I've been in more accidents in my personal vehicle with more uninsured drivers, than insured drivers. The best solution here is to give individuals the power to pick and choose their health insurers. Not their employers, not the government, but the individuals. It has worked in every other market, and there is no evidence that it would not work here.
You work at UPS?

I haven't been in an auto accident since I was 17.

Sounds like a lack of skills on your part.

klein

Bill Clinton wades into U.S., Canadian politics in Montreal speech

Former U.S. President Bill Clinton is applauded after being awarded an honorary degree in law...

Fri Oct 16, 8:59 PM

By Tobi Cohen, The Canadian Press
MONTREAL - Bill Clinton waded into two of the most divisive political debates that have raged in Canada and the United States, praising the unity of one country and predicting health-care reform in the other.

The former U.S. president told an enthusiastic Canadian audience that his country is done squandering billions on health care and that a system overhaul is inevitable.

Clinton also ventured into Canadian domestic politics - saying he was thrilled that Quebec and Canada didn't "get a divorce" in the 1990s.

Clinton, who as president delivered a historic speech on federalism without ever specifically mentioning Quebec, quipped Friday that one benefit of being out of politics was he could say whatever he wanted.

Clinton then flung himself into the hottest political debate raging in his own country, predicting that Barack Obama would succeed where he failed and would deliver on health-care reform.

He made the remarks to an adoring crowd of 700 that gathered to watch him receive an honourary doctorate from McGill University.

"It's simply going to be impossible for us to build the world we need unless in the wealthy countries, we are ruthlessly honest about where we are wasting money and hanging on to yesterday's way of doing things," Clinton said.

"That's why I think we're going to get some kind of health-care reform in America today. Finally, the deniability ran out and all the bogus arguments don't cut much mustard anymore."

Clinton said he grew terribly frustrated when health insurance companies made a last-ditch effort to block reforms last week.

He noted that the U.S. spends more on health care than any other country, yet remains the only major developed nation that lacks universal health coverage.

Where Canadians spend about 10.5 per cent of their income on health care, he said, Americans spend a whopping 17 per cent.

"If you add it up, it amounts to a $900-billion handicap we take into the global economy," he said.

In typical Clintonesque fashion, he punctuated his speech by rattling off a series of statistics indicating that the Swiss spent 11.5 per cent, and other major countries countries spent between nine and 10 per cent of their incomes on health care.

While he called it "immoral" that many Americans don't have health insurance and that others who do have it risk losing it, he said the issue is really one of waste.

"Suppose you don't care anything about those people. Forget about them. The heck with your neighbours," he said.

"You're spotting the competition $900 billion for nothing."

Health care reform has long been a fractious issue south of the border where the idea of socialized medicine doesn't sit well with even moderate conservatives who cast Canadian medicare as a bogeyman.
Clinton's own attempt to usher in a national health plan during his first term in office ended in spectacular failure.
Months later, his Democrats suffered a major rout during mid-term elections and lost control of Congress, leaving Clinton with a legislative disadvantage for the rest of his presidency.
Clinton was in town Friday to accept the university's highest honour - doctor of laws.
It was a far cry from the historic extemporaneous speech he delivered on Canadian federalism at a 1999 conference in Mont-Tremblant, Que., where he defended the merits of unity.
Speaking without notes at the time, he listed all the benefits of national unity but, to avoid creating a diplomatic incident, did it without uttering the words "Quebec" or "Canada." As he looked on in frustration, sovereigntist premier Lucien Bouchard admitted the speech had not helped his cause.
Clinton was far more blunt in his speech Friday.
"The thing I always liked about Canada is that it seemed to me that in many ways it was like America - with one fundamental difference for the last 25 years," Clinton said.
"You have clashing cultures, you have occasional votes about whether you ought not to be together.
"I'm glad you didn't get a divorce, by the way."
He then quipped: "That's the great thing about not being president - you can say anything you want. Of course, nobody cares what you have to say anymore, but you can say it, at least."
In his speech before alumni, volunteers and university officials, Clinton spoke of his philanthropic exploits and called for action on world hunger and climate change. He also encouraged volunteerism and community-building.
University officials said they did not pay a fee to bring the high-priced public speaker to the event and that it was arranged by an alumnus and close personal friend of the former president.
He is the second American president to get McGill's most prestigious award.
Franklin D. Roosevelt received the degree, along with former British prime minister Winston Churchill in 1944 at the height of the Second World War.

fact check

You can keep him !!!
He's not a figure in power anymore.

What are your feelings on healthcare?

Are you for the Private Option? Do you know what it is?

Do you think there should be penalties for 'bad behavior', IE: smoking, obesity?

Do you agree that there should be 'sin taxes'? Why or why not?

Try not to cut and paste.

klein

He's not a figure in power anymore.

What are your feelings on healthcare?

Are you for the Private Option? Do you know what it is?

Do you think there should be penalties for 'bad behavior', IE: smoking, obesity?

Do you agree that there should be 'sin taxes'? Why or why not?

Try not to cut and paste.

Mine ???
I'll answer them anyways.
I only lived in countries that have government healthcare, and love it.
(pretty hard not to, unless I moved to Turkey, or some African Nation, and USA ofcourse)
Never need to worry about a bill, or about being unemployed and uninsured therfor.
A job alone shouldn't "manage" your healthcare.
I like the freedom, working for anyone or for myself, without the need to worry about extra insurance costs.
All industrialized countries retire in a much younger age then americans (probably due to health insurance).

2) Sure, I'm for a private option. And it's comming 1 day here.
Those with money, will be able to fast track care. Besides that, Canada would be able to import medical tourisum much more. Since costs will still remain much lower then that of the US.
Sofar, it's limited to things like Dental, lasik, plastic surgery, etc, for others comming here for cheaper treatment.

3)bad behavior : Can't really do that. Keep on eye on what someone eats or drinks. Nope.
But, maybe have more quitting tools in place ( institutions to lose weight, quit smoking, drinking, etc ).

4) Already inplace. If you smoke or drink. Those extra sin taxes are enourmous here (over $10 a pack of smokes, $10 a 6 pack of beer).
And yes, more and more it's in debate, if fastfood should be sintaxed, too.
I kind of agree with it. Whats another 10% ? But where does it end ?
If I went to a restaurant and just ordered appetizes, such as chickenwings...?
I think a tax on food wrappers and containers might be more appropiate.
Ever walked to Mac D's ? The streets and sidewalks are sometimes full of thier garbage.
Wrappers, containers, pop cups all over the place !

klein

Yes, and I specified that, as an explanation of the post above, Mr. Double Standard.

How appropriate.

Whats up with you all of a sudden. You got more or less 2 Canadians here, either voting conservative or liberal.
But, even conservative is liberal here.
And , you wanna lose us ?
Go on your own.

Good luck !

fact check

Whats up with you all of a sudden. You got more or less 2 Canadians here, either voting conservative or liberal.
Go on your own.

Good luck !

Klein,

I'm breaking my own rules , but really, you are not a help to the argument for health care in the USA here at the BrownCafe.

In case you hadn't noticed, and I mean this not in a hurtful way, your arguments are pretty much null and void, because of whatever transgressions you committed (Don't know, don't care, but it's obvious that there was something).

Any fool can see that the American system is corrupt, and any fool can see that the Canadian system is better, but your interjection doesn't help, really.

Let us stupid Americans fight it out amongst ourselves.

fact check

Go on your own.

Good luck !

PS-- We have been on our own for the last 30 years, give or take.

That's what we prefer.

I think even Baba would agree with that.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Any fool can see that the American system is corrupt, and any fool can see that the Canadian system is better, but your interjection doesn't help, really."

I don't see Canada's system as better when people wait months with a cancer diagnosis to get the surgery they so desperately need. They come to the states to get the surgery.

I do agree that the U.S. healthcare needs to be improved, but not with Obama's plan. He says he knows there is corruption, but he has let it go on for these many months now......he's corrupt!!

And when it comes to Klein, he can post when & where he wants to. He has an opinion and you are going to hear it whether you like it or not. He actually made me grin when he responded to your post. I hope he keeps it up.

klein

Klein,

I'm breaking my own rules , but really, you are not a help to the argument for health care in the USA here at the BrownCafe.

In case you hadn't noticed, and I mean this not in a hurtful way, your arguments are pretty much null and void, because of whatever transgressions you committed (Don't know, don't care, but it's obvious that there was something).

Any fool can see that the American system is corrupt, and any fool can see that the Canadian system is better, but your interjection doesn't help, really.

Let us stupid Americans fight it out amongst ourselves.

ok, agreed. And I said this before :
As long as Canada isn't mentioned in your fight. I won't participate.
They got another 100 or so countries to compare public option with.
All of Europe, all of Asia, NZ, Austrailia, South Africa, Israel, etc.

Leave us out of it, and I'll shut up ! Thats a deal.

Hey thanks Baba, and moreluck , really wasn't expecting that !
Made me smile, too ! :)