Ground taking over

bacha29

FedEx directly said that or is that another one of your “educated” guesses? Let’s see if this one will stick. Not about being a diehard express. I just wouldn’t lead people in the wrong direction with their career decisions with these assumptions. A whole country and Your biggest trade partner has just said they’ll be express only and buyout ground. But now “it’s only Canada nobody cares about Canada”. Nowhere in their presentation did it say they’re getting rid of either the express or ground divisions. This ain’t a sought after job so they’re gonna try to hold on to every courier they got. They coulda told everyone at ground to eff off but will instead give them a position at express. It ain’t as easy as you think to fire people. You’d have to pay huge amounts of severance and lawsuits on top of that.
There's only 300 contractors in Canada compared to more than 6000 in the states. Given that Canada is considered to be a more labor friendly and organized labor friendly country compared to the US bringing those 300 in might tip a union vote in favor of remaining nonunion. Furthermore, proprietary rights might not exist in Canada in the same way they do here in the states. Likewise, when you only have 300 contractors across an entire nation the size of Canada they have to be pretty thinly deployed unless they have a battalion size number of routes but chances are there are a lot of single route very high mileage contractors up there. What is not readily known is the number of open nonservice areas whereby X had to rent a truck and throw a temp in it to go out there in the boonies to try to find those people or they were paying a contractor a reservoir full of contingency cash to run it and to such a degree that there were few alternatives other than to make them all employees if they wanted to stop having to go over budget.

Canada a nation slightly larger than the US but has only one eighth the population is exactly why you don't look to Canada seeking to find one last flickering glimmer of hope that what is happening up there will be what will happen in the states.

An SEC10-Q is not an "educated guess". The majority of the "displaced" (lmao) Express employees will pack it in or immediately move onto other employment of comparable quality because they did their research. At the same time however there will be the hanger ons and the deniers who will be utterly shocked when they get their pink slip and will be standing there with their mouths hanging open and a thumb firmly inserted in a bodily orifice .

zeev

Ground will take over from Express when Ground is available, when not available the old Express system will take over. If you have a Ground driver in your area you will be gone.

MAKAVELI

Ground will take over from Express when Ground is available, when not available the old Express system will take over. If you have a Ground driver in your area you will be gone.
Ground covers the same areas and customers Express does. That makes absolutely no sense.

It will be fine

There's only 300 contractors in Canada compared to more than 6000 in the states. Given that Canada is considered to be a more labor friendly and organized labor friendly country compared to the US bringing those 300 in might tip a union vote in favor of remaining nonunion. Furthermore, proprietary rights might not exist in Canada in the same way they do here in the states. Likewise, when you only have 300 contractors across an entire nation the size of Canada they have to be pretty thinly deployed unless they have a battalion size number of routes but chances are there are a lot of single route very high mileage contractors up there. What is not readily known is the number of open nonservice areas whereby X had to rent a truck and throw a temp in it to go out there in the boonies to try to find those people or they were paying a contractor a reservoir full of contingency cash to run it and to such a degree that there were few alternatives other than to make them all employees if they wanted to stop having to go over budget.

Canada a nation slightly larger than the US but has only one eighth the population is exactly why you don't look to Canada seeking to find one last flickering glimmer of hope that what is happening up there will be what will happen in the states.

An SEC10-Q is not an "educated guess". The majority of the "displaced" (lmao) Express employees will pack it in or immediately move onto other employment of comparable quality because they did their research. At the same time however there will be the hanger ons and the deniers who will be utterly shocked when they get their pink slip and will be standing there with their mouths hanging open and a thumb firmly inserted in a bodily orifice .
Right now FedEx has an open contract listing for Ontario. I was a bit shocked they’re trying to sucker someone in right now. Seems rude.

Lates

FedEx directly said that or is that another one of your “educated” guesses? Let’s see if this one will stick. Not about being a diehard express. I just wouldn’t lead people in the wrong direction with their career decisions with these assumptions. A whole country and Your biggest trade partner has just said they’ll be express only and buyout ground. But now “it’s only Canada nobody cares about Canada”. Nowhere in their presentation did it say they’re getting rid of either the express or ground divisions. This ain’t a sought after job so they’re gonna try to hold on to every courier they got. They coulda told everyone at ground to eff off but will instead give them a position at express. It ain’t as easy as you think to fire people. You’d have to pay huge amounts of severance and lawsuits on top of that.
They don’t have to pay severance and what lawsuits people get let go all the time. So you think they are letting express employees go then they will turn around and hire all the ground employees. Wouldn’t it be simpler to keep current express employees? They haven’t put much effort into keeping the employees that have been displaced so far. In the end it’s cheaper to use the contractor model in the US.

Gone fishin

They don’t have to pay severance and what lawsuits people get let go all the time. So you think they are letting express employees go then they will turn around and hire all the ground employees. Wouldn’t it be simpler to keep current express employees? They haven’t put much effort into keeping the employees that have been displaced so far. In the end it’s cheaper to use the contractor model in the US.
No express drivers have left our station , I heard ground contractors are going to pay their drivers even less because that will be cheaper for them.
I’m thinking you can get some quality , reliable drivers for about $ 12.50 an hour

Lates

These people act like Express drivers make 200 thousand a year. UPS , DHL and I believe the post office makes at least as much as us.
Should we make 25,000 a year ? It’s 2023 , Fred’s a billionaire, the upper echelon are millionaires. People are nuts
No but a topped out employee making 30 an hour is 1200 a week ground contractor in the same area offers 150 a day that’s 750. Add in healthcare , 401k , taxes, and overtime ground is much cheaper. I’m not saying it’s right what they offer but they keep getting employees.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
These people act like Express drivers make 200 thousand a year. UPS , DHL and I believe the post office makes at least as much as us.
Should we make 25,000 a year ? It’s 2023 , Fred’s a billionaire, the upper echelon are millionaires. People are nuts
UPS drivers make way more than fedex express drivers

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
No but a topped out employee making 30 an hour is 1200 a week ground contractor in the same area offers 150 a day that’s 750. Add in healthcare , 401k , taxes, and overtime ground is much cheaper. I’m not saying it’s right what they offer but they keep getting employees.
And those guys getting $150 a day will get on social media and brag about doing 138 stops and 243 packages for that $150. Some of them get it done in 6 hours and brag about it being $25 an hour and they're home by 1400 each day. That's their business, and that's fine, but damn. You could go to Express and make that same yearly salary with a 40 hour workweek doing half as many stops, if not fewer, with freight that much lighter. Plus benefits!

Some people aren't meant to be understood. That's all I can make of it.

Gone fishin

So what you’re describing is an American worker livable wage. What a crazy concept

Lates

So what you’re describing is an American worker livable wage. What a crazy concept
I don’t know what to tell you if people didn’t want that pay they wouldn’t keep applying. I really don’t get what you are so defensive about. It’s really a simple job we have and if they can pay people less to do the same work they will.

Gone fishin

I don’t know what to tell you if people didn’t want that pay they wouldn’t keep applying. I really don’t get what you are so defensive about. It’s really a simple job we have and if they can pay people less to do the same work they will.
Then why do they keep quitting , I’m not defensive at all , I’m just stating facts. Many , many people can’t do this job. How about we pay workers the bare minimum, that way the owners and CEO’s can make even more money and widen the pay gap.
You act as if we as workers should just accept the minimum pay , just enough to eat , get some gas and maybe even keep a roof over our heads.

Lates

Then why do they keep quitting , I’m not defensive at all , I’m just stating facts. Many , many people can’t do this job. How about we pay workers the bare minimum, that way the owners and CEO’s can make even more money and widen the pay gap.
You act as if we as workers should just accept the minimum pay , just enough to eat , get some gas and maybe even keep a roof over our heads.
I’m not saying accept I’m actively looking for another job not because of job insecurity the people who stay are accepting it. If you want it to change start a union drive. I actually believe the opposite and think we should have a four step plan instead of 10. Our senior asked about what I thought would keep employees he then said nah people your age just jump from job to job.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
The job requires diligence, attention to detail, above average driving skills, customer service and self discipline, among others, all to varying degrees but the average person can’t do it efficiently and those that can won’t do it for peanuts.