Ground taking over

Nolimitz

The discussion is about HARD work, not the advancement to make it easier.
Why do you think there’s a need for trade jobs.
Trades
Carpenters (I use to be one) use air nailers, not hammers. electric drills not a brace and bit. power saws etc.
Landscapers use zero turn not, push mowers. week eater's vs hand clippers. blower's vs brooms
the list could go on forever. wake up and smell the coffee.

FedupExpress

Back to topic, does your station believe it's untouchable from the merger? Everyone seems to think so at mine

We are. Fairly large but I see something going down eventually especially with the economy...

Sort down usually by 840 now as opposed to 930-40 2 years ago

The pickle with our station is we are busy with outbound, dg, etc.

I would think they would give delivery to ground but why would you need a big ass station just for outbound 🤷🏻‍♂️

It will be fine

Back to topic, does your station believe it's untouchable from the merger? Everyone seems to think so at mine

We are. Fairly large but I see something going down eventually especially with the economy...

I would think they would give delivery to ground but why would you need a big ass station just for outbound 🤷🏻‍♂️
Around here at Ground the outbound volume is more of a driver than inbound for the engineers when they build new terminals or reassign geography to terminals.

Lates

Ground has pickup routes but so far anything ground has been picking up is possession only then has to be puped by express when they get back to the station.

El Morado Diablo

The good news at our station is that the building lease is going to be renewed. That would seem to indicate a continued Express presence in our market.

On the flip side, our Sr Mgr has said they are trying to eliminate rural routes and one of our local Ground contractors revealed that they've been told they are going to get 50% of our freight. I could easily see Ground taking 50% of our volume. I think Ground has 6-7 routes covering the area of my route (PM route, no pick-ups).

It will be fine

The good news at our station is that the building lease is going to be renewed. That would seem to indicate a continued Express presence in our market.

On the flip side, our Sr Mgr has said they are trying to eliminate rural routes and one of our local Ground contractors revealed that they've been told they are going to get 50% of our freight. I could easily see Ground taking 50% of our volume. I think Ground has 6-7 routes covering the area of my route (PM route, no pick-ups).
The lease just means they want to keep the land, it’s all going to be the same company next year.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

How far of a reach would it be to think that your building might be converted to Ground...........???

FedupExpress

I don't know, I just can't see this being one big bluff and only a few stations will be affected

It is fedex though, I still haven't seen one single thing go right since I started

Maybe it is a bluff or they will just announce towards the end of the year that it's being postponed because they don't know how to do it

Lol

Granted I have only been with express for a few years.

The consensus at our station,

Express is taking over ground

Wishful thinking if you ask me.

I've never seen a little fish eat a big fish

fatboy33

Hawaii untouchable

bacha29

Couple of things to think about here.
First of all no one really knows how big an impact AI is going to have on the box bucking business.
The impact may be so deep and expansive that even Dano can't hold onto his job no matter how many trains his mom pulls.
Secondly, have you ever noticed how quiet the industry prognosticators have become lately in regard to their prediction of an early UPS/Teamster labor contract settlement?

So here they sit, 36 days away from the current contract expiration and the story in WAPO says that O'Brien is the face of the new Teamsters and has emboldened his membership to the point where a strike is not outside the realm of possibility. Something that was considered an impossibility just a month ago.

As the two parties march steadily toward the expiration I would think that Memphis Fats will pause for a little bit with regard to the disembowelment of his labor force. Cutting his workforce in the face of UPS strike should one happen he may as a result come to discover that he doesn't have as many sworn allies in congress that he thinks he has.

Lates

Our lease was renewed in 2021 at a shorter term than before fell right inline with us merging. None of us know for sure but all signs point to ground being the primary workforce going forward.

MAKAVELI

Our lease was renewed in 2021 at a shorter term than before fell right inline with us merging. None of us know for sure but all signs point to ground being the primary workforce going forward.
That might be Raj's wet dream but reality is something totally different.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
First of all no one really knows how big an impact AI is going to have on the box bucking business.
The impact may be so deep and expansive that even Dano can't hold onto his job no matter how many trains his mom pulls.
Secondly, have you ever noticed how quiet the industry prognosticators have become lately in regard to their prediction of an early UPS/Teamster labor contract settlement?

So here they sit, 36 days away from the current contract expiration and the story in WAPO says that O'Brien is the face of the new Teamsters and has emboldened his membership to the point where a strike is not outside the realm of possibility. Something that was considered an impossibility just a month ago.

As the two parties march steadily toward the expiration I would think that Memphis Fats will pause for a little bit with regard to the disembowelment of his labor force. Cutting his workforce in the face of UPS strike should one happen he may as a result come to discover that he doesn't have as many sworn allies in congress that he thinks he has.
You should write science fiction

El Morado Diablo

How far of a reach would it be to think that your building might be converted to Ground...........???

Nothing is impossible but neither building (Express or Ground) is large enough to combine operations. They could collapse all of Express' rural routes and send that freight to the Ground building. We're a feeder operation that has all of our freight trucked to us from the ramp. They need the Express building to send the outbound out by plane. If it weren't for the USPS contract they would have trucked everything in and out of our station. Our service was cut last year to PM/RM zip codes so you wouldn't think it would be that hard for them to merge us if they can figure out how to make things fit.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I think they're dialing it back until the UPS situation is settled. When it is, the RMS Groundex resumes it's full speed destiny with the iceberg. Captain Smith still has confidence in Commander Raj,(he's employed) and the Stockton Rush designed carbon fiber hull can withstand any impact. A strike would help "The Plan" immensely by pumping up revenues and generating a false sense that all is well. We don't want "employees" running off the plantation just before the cotton comes in, and a bumper crop would reassure investors that Raj is competent. I think we all know better than that, but shareholders, pilots, and upper management are the only folks that really matter, and if they're happy, Raj might be able to keep his donkey in the stable for a while longer.

Last edited:

Lates

Nothing is impossible but neither building (Express or Ground) is large enough to combine operations. They could collapse all of Express' rural routes and send that freight to the Ground building. We're a feeder operation that has all of our freight trucked to us from the ramp. They need the Express building to send the outbound out by plane. If it weren't for the USPS contract they would have trucked everything in and out of our station. Our service was cut last year to PM/RM zip codes so you wouldn't think it would be that hard for them to merge us if they can figure out how to make things fit.
So far in the two stations I know about combining in TN have kept the rural stuff and lost the denser cites.