Ground taking over

bacha29

BTW. Imagine the kind of nation we would have today if it had built walls generations ago to keep out the Germans, Italians , Irish, Slovaks Norwegians etc rather than to simply hop on a boat dock at Ellis Island, sign in and away you went.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Let me try again. You were born and worked at a time when the jobs that matched the skill level of the average American worker were still in adequate supply. Those days are gone Today if you were to look at education and specialized job skill requirements set forth in the better paying job offers you would clearly see that they are much higher than in past years and acquiring that education and skills requires higher level of raw intelligence that in the past.

For the average student with average intellect the challenges going forward are likely to be much more difficult.

For many it's not a case of being lazy as many allege but rather simply not being smart enough.
Here's the reality:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
BTW. Imagine the kind of nation we would have today if it had built walls generations ago to keep out the Germans, Italians , Irish, Slovaks Norwegians etc rather than to simply hop on a boat dock at Ellis Island, sign in and away you went.
You mean when building our nation was the focus?

We need to take a deep breath and control and limit immigration to what we need to sustain the common good of OUR nation. THEN we can return to teaching and helping other nations support their own citizens.

bacha29

Here's the reality:

Noticed something. Talk surrounded construction and manufacturing. Two of the most recession sensitive sectors of the economy. The first to go down and the last to restart.

Mike Rowe made a comedy show out of the dirtiest and most labor intensive tasks in the nation and made a lot of money doing. it. He wasn't highlighting the importance of such jobs.....He was making fun of them.

And we're supposed to take what he has to say seriously?

bacha29

You mean when building our nation was the focus?

We need to take a deep breath and control and limit immigration to what we need to sustain the common good of OUR nation. THEN we can return to teaching and helping other nations support their own citizens.
I see you're walking back you previous comments. Are you saying that Latino workers did nothing to build the nation "when building our nation was the focus"?

Read some numbers the other day that stated that legal immigration to the US is now 57% lower than it was 25 years ago.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Noticed something. Talk surrounded construction and manufacturing. Two of the most recession sensitive sectors of the economy. The first to go down and the last to restart.

Mike Rowe made a comedy show out of the dirtiest and most labor intensive tasks in the nation and made a lot of money doing. it. He wasn't highlighting the importance of such jobs.....He was making fun of them.

And we're supposed to take what he has to say seriously?
Wrong again.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I see you're walking back you previous comments. Are you saying that Latino workers did nothing to build the nation "when building our nation was the focus"?

Read some numbers the other day that stated that legal immigration to the US is now 57% lower than it was 25 years ago.
You're READING backwards, unless you can quote me to back up your accusation.

bacha29

Wrong again.

Rowe a former opera singer has a degree in communications. Has no formal education or background in the field of psychology and human behavior. So who's he to try to tell the public what goes on inside the mind's of people he doesn't even know?

Just another celebrity who invented a niche program and made millions off it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Ok so answer this question: In your mind's eye, when where and how do we control immigration and limit it to "what we need" and what specifically are our needs?
That's the job of the LEGISLATIVE BRANCH to make laws relating to immigration, and those decisions are administered by the USCIS.

It's not the EXECUTIVE BRANCH's jurisdiction.

So, there is a structure in place, and it needs to be constantly addressed. Not ignored.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Rowe a former opera singer has a degree in communications. Has no formal education or background in the field of psychology and human behavior. So who's he to try to tell the public what goes on inside the mind's of people he doesn't even know?

Just another celebrity who invented a niche program and made millions off it.
You are the consummate strawman.

Lates

Middle class is about gone , 60 percent of people live paycheck to paycheck , 12 percent live in poverty. Go find a fully staffed restaurant, 3.7 is there because of the pandemic jobs returning.
There are plenty of jobs right now that’s why restaurants and similar paying jobs are so short staffed. I’ve lived paycheck to paycheck cause I wasn’t making enough at the time. But I know many people who live that way cause they can’t stop spending and have no self control.

zeev

Lots of open high paying jobs in construction and manufacturing go begging , Trucking jobs are in high demand but even with free trading at FedEx they contract out and hire off the streets. Driving a semi is much easier with automatic transmission and comfortable and spacious cabs.

Gone fishin

There are plenty of jobs right now that’s why restaurants and similar paying jobs are so short staffed. I’ve lived paycheck to paycheck cause I wasn’t making enough at the time. But I know many people who live that way cause they can’t stop spending and have no self control.
Point being, people aren’t even taking the easy jobs , much less hauling boxes up apartment stairs for 18 bucks

Mutineer

Don't think for a minute that Memphis Fats and Raj The Jackal have not looked at the projected future supply of low skill workers when deciding to off load Express onto Ground. Indications are they believe that there will be enough grunts willing to do the job for less.....And in some parts of the country especially RTW states....a lot less.

I absolutely agree with that assessment.

And that assertion absolutely contradicts the "labor shortage" narrative.

bacha29

That's the job of the LEGISLATIVE BRANCH to make laws relating to immigration, and those decisions are administered by the USCIS.

It's not the EXECUTIVE BRANCH's jurisdiction.

So, there is a structure in place, and it needs to be constantly addressed. Not ignored.
Exactly what is that "structure"? How is it being applied or misapplied?
What new legislation would you propose and and what new immigration laws should it contain?

MAKAVELI

You are calling jobs easy doesn’t actually make them easy. What they are is low paying jobs that suck.
There's literally so many side hustles these days, much of them cash under the table, that the youth don't need those crappy low paying jobs.