Ground taking over

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I would say it hasn't really because a big part of the reason FedEx has fallen behind UPS is because of labor shortage. That applies for both Express and the contractor model that was supposed to give FedEx the edge. It didn't, just the opposite in fact. Funny how highly paid union workers have absolutely smoked FedEx in profits for 20 years or more lol.
Here's a guy saying that UPS smokes FedEx in profits because Ground uses contractors and not because UPS has daily domestic volumes of >27 million packages compared to FedEx Express/Ground combined daily volumes of 16 million packages.

MAKAVELI

Here's a guy saying that UPS smokes FedEx in profits because Ground uses contractors and not because UPS has daily domestic volumes of >27 million packages compared to FedEx Express/Ground combined daily volumes of 16 million packages.
UPS smokes FedEx on margins, not just volume. Ttku son......

Guitarman01

Here's a guy saying that UPS smokes FedEx in profits because Ground uses contractors and not because UPS has daily domestic volumes of >27 million packages compared to FedEx Express/Ground combined daily volumes of 16 million package
Again that goes back to service, hard to build your ground network when most major corporations trust UPS to handle the bulk of their ground freight, not FedEx.

59 Dano

UPS smokes FedEx on margins, not just volume. Ttku son......
Considering that their higher margin service makes up a greater percentage of their revenue mix, and they have higher volumes, they should.

You might want to take an accounting or finance class.

MAKAVELI

Considering that their higher margin service makes up a greater percentage of their revenue mix, and they have higher volumes, they should.

You might want to take an accounting or finance class.
FedEx has had a cheaper labor force for more than 20 years. I suggest you might want to take a basic arithmetic class.....

59 Dano

Again that goes back to service, hard to build your ground network when most major corporations trust UPS to handle the bulk of their ground freight, not FedEx.
You mean the company that was around since 1907 has more legacy customers than the company that didn't exist until 90 years later?

WHO KNEW

59 Dano

FedEx has had a cheaper labor force for more than 20 years. I suggest you might want to take a basic arithmetic class.....
Both companies' operating expenses for their most recent fiscal year were nearly identical.

Damn those accounting classes would come in handy for you right about now. There's much more to it if you want to throw your armchair reasoning at it.

MAKAVELI

Both companies' operating expenses for their most recent fiscal year were nearly identical.

Damn those accounting classes would come in handy for you right about now. There's much more to it if you want to throw your armchair reasoning at it.
So UPS that has a higher paid all employee workforce has about the same operating expenses as FedEx who has lower paid employees and a large contractor operation? Do you even comprehend your own words?🤣

59 Dano

So UPS that has a higher paid all employee workforce has about the same operating expenses as FedEx who has lower paid employees and a large contractor operation?
I mean, we could go into why the smaller company has the same amount of operating expenses as the larger one, but that would lead us to comparisons of revenues, variable vs fixed expenses and their effects on margins, and so on.

Do you even comprehend your own words?
It's probably for the best that you just keep saying FedEx would be more profitable if they increased their expenses.

Guitarman01

You mean the company that was around since 1907 has more legacy customers than the company that didn't exist until 90 years later?

WHO KNEW
I don't think legacy customers have anything to do with it and I don't think it changes anything I've said. Do you think potential customers would have more confidence in FedEx or UPS with one being almost entirely contracted out and the other one not? Who do you think they are going to invest in?

59 Dano

I don't think legacy customers have anything to do with it and I don't think it changes anything I've said. Do you think potential customers would have more confidence in FedEx or UPS with one being almost entirely contracted out and the other one not? Who do you think they are going to invest in?
I'd say that the average person doesn't know there's a Ground and an Express, let alone care that one of them is contractors, but the fact that Ground's volume doubled over the last decade says it for me.

Guitarman01

I'd say that the average person doesn't know there's a Ground and an Express, let alone care that one of them is contractors, but the fact that Ground's volume doubled over the last decade says it for me.
You're right they don't but customers do or they find out real quick. A contractor model maybe able to compete on price temporarily, but not service. If service falls apart cheap labor won't matter much.

zeev

Ground contractors at stations that have merged, have a golden opportunity to force FedEx to keep them at all costs. Question how many Ground contractors purchased the mileage tampered vehicles that were with Express.

bacha29

Ground contractors at stations that have merged, have a golden opportunity to force FedEx to keep them at all costs. Question how many Ground contractors purchased the mileage tampered vehicles that were with Express.
Wrong. No single contractor or group of contractors will tell FDX what it can and cannot do. The reason being is that there is no judicial oversight with the power to bind FDX to single term of that damn contract.

Spencer Patton launched the first meaningful challenge to the power of FDX last year.....You saw how long he lasted.